Sign in to follow this  
adgecutler

36" tiller lift arrangement help please

adgecutler

Hello, :)

I recently purchased a 36" tiller which I intend to fit to my raider 10. It came with the axle mounts and tach o matic pulleys - tension spring, it also had a belt.

Yesterday I began to fit it to my horse and all went fairly well although the belt I have seems to be about 8" too long (where there different belts for different engines or engine mount systems?). The other problem i have is that I have no lift cable (which will be easy to make) but it seems to me that linking the lift cable straight to the tiller chain would be very stressful to the lifting system, am I missing something? Could anyone please post photos of the setup or refer me to any that are already posted, I've tried searching but don't know my way around a computer very well. Any help is very much appreciated, Jamie. :thumbs: :wh:

Gerry w

The lift cable doesn't hook to the chain, and depending on your tractor and tiller there may be two belts. I've just hooked up my blower as I have snow here but there are posts on this forum,(I'm not good at finding them) that do explain the setup. I was lucky enough to have a manual.

I'm sure someone far more in the know then I will be along to help! Good luck!

adgecutler

I'm pretty sure it only requires one belt with the setup I have, still cannot find any help on the lift setup. You say that the cable doesn't couple straight to the chain, what is it I'm missing? If someone can post a piccy then I'll try to fabricate it. Thanks, Jamie.

Gerry w

My cable on my Raider 14, goes from the lift bar to the rear hitch, there isn't a spring on mine to help lift it, there is a spring on the tensioner pulleys to make them work. I will try to get a shot of the manual, but mine must be different because it takes two belts.

There are excellent folks on this site who could help you better then I, they must be busy, but someone will be along soon!

Raider

Here's my lift on the '68 Raider:

Raidertiller03.jpg

Raidertiller04.jpg

B-8074

The lift cable doesn't hook to the chain, and depending on your tractor and tiller there may be two belts. I've just hooked up my blower as I have snow here

Snow. I wish I had snow! I love snow. :thumbs:

adgecutler

Thanks raider for those, is that an assembley you designed or original? It all looks slightly different to what I have I have today bought a sleeve hitch from a local horse breaker. is the cable coming out the back straight through from the lever? I will try and get some photos on here tomorrow, Jamie.

Raider

You're quite welcome. Everything you see there is WH original or replacement parts. The lift cable has a jacket over it, you can just see the end of it under the toolbox. The slot hitch came with the tractor and the L or J bolt came with the tiller. The lifting effort is not too bad with this arrangement. If you look back another page in the implements section here you'll find my thread on the rest of my tiller. I modified the belt drive arrangement to work like the newer style, the lifting mechanism is stock though.

hoppy

not to steal the thread but i have a few questions regarding the same setup.

where did you get that clevice assy that is hooked to the lift mechanism? that is pretty slick and alot better then just wraping some cable through the hole.

i see when i lift my seat up there is a area made for the cable to run through. once i get up to the wall under the console all i really see is a very small hole up in the center area. is this the hole the cable goes through? once its through the hole what lift bar does the cable hook up to?the one on left or right if sitting on tractor? top holes or bottom holes? sorry for all the questions but my horse(856) came with the hitch tied in the horizontal position and they wrapped the cable around the seat pan to stop it from falling down..........i onlt tow a trailer with it so it worked but id like to set it up the way it should be correctly. Thanks!

adgecutler

I have just had a quick look at my setup again and think maybe my axle mounts are the reason the bellt seems to be too long they are underslung on the axle were as raiders appear to mount off of the rear of the axle.

DSC00952.jpg

If I mount these as raiders are my tiller is too high for the belts to run under the axle.

I have just fitted a cable guide and this looks to me how it should fit?,

DSC00960.jpg

Should I use a pivot lever like this one I have sourced? It looks like it would give a little more leverage due to the differance in arm lenghths plus give more range of angle.

DSC00964.jpg

I have also sourced this sleeve hitch yesterday

DSC00961.jpg

This is the pulley setup I have for tach o matic which seems correct.

DSC00955.jpg

Here is the tiller and tractor looking sadly divorced but with the help from this forum a marriage is on the cards.

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

• Like 1

Raider

You and I do not have the same tractor. I saw that you have a "Raider" and assumed it to be the same as the Raiders over here. Yours is more like a C-series.

It looks like you have the right parts, you won't be needing the slot hitch with your setup. Your rear hitch should be mounted with the openings down, not like mine. You probably have the wrong belt if it is too long, could you put it on and take a pic?

What year is that tractor and do you know where it originally came from?

adgecutler

I will try to get a picture today. I'm affraid I don't know the history of the tractor, is there a way of identifying it though serial numbers? I didn't realize American raiders were different to our ones, but then I know very little.

Thanks again raider for all the advice, Jamie.

Raider

Yours appears more modern than the Raiders I'm used to seeing. It looks like the name was carried over onto a newer tractor in your case. Your PTO is the newer style and the fender standoffs are like a C-series where my Raider has a hinged fender with toolbox underneath. Your Tiller is also the modern type which is great for you as the older ones, like mine, are more of a hassle to set up.

I think the rockshaft you got should work though the ones I've seen have multiple grooves for selecting leverage by hooking the tiller lift chain in at the desired groove. Your lift tube looks good, now you need a cable. You can probably make one if you can't get the right one in WH brand. Your axle mount is the right one for your tiller also, the latching handles should point rearward when closed (holes down).

adgecutler

Manage to get it set up today, I made a strong cable out of some 1/5" stainless steel wire rope, thimbles and copper ferrules I got from a boats chandlery. This I connected to the pivot arms pictured earlier (I did try without but this is very stressful on the components as you are pulling the tiller straight into the linkage rather than lifting it). It is now nearly effortless to raise. The belt I sourced from antifriction services in Bristol (it's an A138, 138") and the spring I found in a pile of bits in the back of my Land Rover.

DSC00969.jpg

During the winter months I shall now be doing a lot of rotovating before putting the 42" mower deck back on (I have just coated this in chain oil for the winter)

Here she is after a sucessful trial run. I know the belts off of the tensioner on the picture (I was fiddling things and forgot to put it back on for the piccy).

DSC00968.jpg

I will probably make a video this weekend to put on youtube and this site if I can?

Does anyone know how to date a Belgian Wheelhorse?

Thanks for the help, Jamie. :):):wh: :thumbs:

mattd860

Looks Good!! Now give it a bath :thumbs:

adgecutler

Looks Good!! Now give it a bath :thumbs:

That's what I like to call a working horse, a bit like a Clydesdale (my great grandfather used to drive these).

Raider

Looks like you've got it set up right. Good looking rig, does it work well in the dirt?

I was just listening to some Tricky today, he's from your hometown, no?

adgecutler

Looks like you've got it set up right. Good looking rig, does it work well in the dirt?

I was just listening to some Tricky today, he's from your hometown, no?

Yes Tricky is from Knowle west (a rough place) in Bristol, we also have claim to Brunels being here (the SS Great Britain still resides), Banksy (graffiti artist), Concorde and also a man named John Cabot settled here. Many of my peers find me very boring when I list things of historical value to me. William Tyndale Worked where I now work (he's the man that translated the bible and then got executed for it). Check out my user name (Adge Cutler) on google, He's my hero and spoke and sang the local dialect which is now dying. We are not even allowed to use imperial measurements now. :thumbs: .Jamie

adgecutler

The tiller works very well in heavy soil and I was surprised that it seems to be less of a load than my 42" mower deck in long grass, it's due to it being geared down a lot I know but it is heavy soil (I know as I have to dig it myself regularly).

adgecutler
Looks like you've got it set up right.