ebinmaine

Advice wanted on HAND winch / come-a-long purchase

Pullstart

Generally, a good cable has some give, or tensile strength meant for pulling.  Chains aren’t great for pulling if there is any risk of shock or snapping.  No matter the amount of experience, I’d pull with a cable before a chain all day long.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Snoopy11
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

a good cable has some give, or tensile strength meant for pulling.  Chains aren’t great for pulling if there is any risk of shock or snapping.

The capacity of cable pullers depends on the LENGTH of the cable used. More cable = equal opportunity for the cable to snap.

Safety ratings and capacity DO matter, but how much could the AVERAGE person pull with a cable puller? A couple hundred pounds... certainly NOWHERE NEAR the ratings of the device. The same AVERAGE person could pull TRIPLE that with a chain hoist. QUALITY cable hoists typical capacity runs between ½ and three tons... NO different from a quality chain hoist... except... you could actually PULL 1/2-three tons with a chain type puller.

If we really want to talk about safety, maybe we should be talking about web strap pullers? :confusion-confused:

Don

SylvanLakeWH

Perhaps context is most import here…@ebinmaine’s original post question said medium duty hand winch or come along… given the scenarios he presented, perhaps one cable and one chain would be appropriate so application dictates which one? Cable and chain rating should also be deciding factor. For the dragging loads he mentions, I’m thinking either would be just fine…

I also have a web strap as noted above that I use to tow…

:twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Perhaps context is most import here…@ebinmaine’s original post question said medium duty hand winch or come along… given the scenarios he presented, perhaps one cable and one chain would be appropriate so application dictates which one? Cable and chain rating should also be deciding factor. For the dragging loads he mentions, I’m thinking either would be just fine…

Well said, Jim. If it was me, I would pick up a strap type for light duty and a chain type fo' any heavy stuff... :music-rockon:

That's just me! B)

Don

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@pfrederi , one of my first jobs , working for a tree trim company , they had a 6 x 6 dodge power wagon , stake body , 250 gal spray tank on the back for brush killing / spraying ,  they finished its  type of set up , had bought it as war surplus , in a crate !  drove it a number of times when  back clearing a  power line infrastructure. talk about a rock climber , low range all wheel , just above idle that would walk and crawl over anything , winch on front and back , what a beast .  VFW HALLS  in the city , would always have surplus crates in their parking lots , post war N Y C .  pete

sjoemie himself

@ebinmaine long story short, for light and medium duty, lets say up to half a metric tonne you'll be fine using a cable type come along.

Short story long :ychain::

This is for vertical transport only. It's construction makes it unpleasant to use horizontally even though it COULD do it.

yalelift-hand-chain-hoist-yale.jpg.6e35976d8f9714588de3fa556b7bc920.jpg

Pro:

- has an emergency brake. Prevents load from dropping suddenly.

- Has stopper on end of chain.

- Easily move (very) heavy loads.

- Easy to switch from 'lift' to 'lower'

Con:

- moves slow. 

- chain can get in the way

- heavy

This is for vertical and horizontal transport. Shorter chain and ratcheting handle makes it suitable for all kinds of lifting and pulling.

images.jpeg.fde905a40ee31214bea949bcf0a8cc9c.jpeg

Pro:

- Universal use, (good ones) also has a emergency brake. Prevents load from dropping suddenly.

- Has stopper on end of chain.

- Easy to switch from 'lift' to 'lower'

- Easy to use and setup

- Relatively small and lightweight

Con:

- moves slow.

- chain can get in the way

This is for horizontal pulling only! It's construction makes it easy to use in a horizontal manner and eventhough you COULD use it to lift, you really SHOULD NOT. See instruction manual.

1569531900_A33-DC.0.025-DELTAFORSteelwirepullinghoistswithaluminiumcastingwithcable-680x570.jpg.4366a7881b57ef0d05a3e57758b06b45.jpg

Pro:

- easy to use

- moves medium loads pretty fast

- looooong cables are available for long distance use (can be daisy chained).

- relatively light compared to working range (length) 

Con:

- doesn't have stopper on end of cable.

- Does not have an emergency brake.

- Difficult to control when switching from pull to release. 

I've worked at a rental company for 12,5 years and among other things I took care of getting chainfalls, come alongs and cable pullers anually inspected. Also gave instructions to collegues and clients what (not) to do with equipment like this. Studied many manuals to answer much of the questions those people had. Hope this info helps.

If you have a potential purchase on your radar and would like some more advice, let me know.

Edited by sjoemie himself
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Heatingman

I rig things almost everyday at work as a pipe fitter.

Ratcheting chain is way easier to use then a cable. Just get a good size one. If you think the load is a 1000 lbs, use a 1 ton for 50 percent insurance. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

kwalshy

I've used this Tyler 4 ton come along many times to help aid with tree felling when tree is in a precarious position.  The come along with a 3/4" braided rope sling or heavy duty chain around the tree along with D Shackles for connection points.

https://www.e-rigging.com/tyler-4-ton-Cable-Puller

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 9/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, kwalshy said:

I've used this Tyler 4 ton come along many times to help aid with tree felling when tree is in a precarious position.  The come along with a 3/4" braided rope sling or heavy duty chain around the tree along with D Shackles for connection points.

https://www.e-rigging.com/tyler-4-ton-Cable-Puller

Ordered this today!! 

• Like 1

GAJoe
On 9/6/2022 at 5:55 AM, ebinmaine said:

I need to pick up a couple of medium duty hand winches or come alongs and I was wondering what you folks use.

My specific usage would be for assistance in pulling trees over that have hung up partially standing, moving a dead tractor once in awhile, possibly pulling one up onto a trailer or truck.

Do you use a chain winch or cable winch?

Do you use a different method?

Do you recommend for or against any particular brand?

Thoughts comments questions suggestions appreciated.

I guess these wouldn't qualify as medium duty.  They are built like a Wheel Horse; heavy, strong, powerful and can be refurbished. Almost forgot,  RED.

That's a 5/16" wire rope, duel paw, cast iron.

20210921_192121.jpg

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

I guess these wouldn't qualify as medium duty.  They are built like a Wheel Horse; heavy, strong, powerful and can be refurbished. Almost forgot,  RED.

That's a 5/16" wire rope, duel paw, cast iron.

20210921_192121.jpg

WOW!

That's a hand winch!

GAJoe

The guys on here saying that cable will work you harder than chain reminds me of my first adventure with my Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller. I had just finished the refurbish and looking for an opportunity to put it to the test. I had called my 88 year old Dad and he was freshly upset again that when the state widened the road in front of his house they made the driveway steeper than it already was. He didn't get off his clutch fast enough or it was slipping and wound up off the driveway and stuck in the leaves. He was going to hand truck his big battery powered winch up there the next day to pull it back onto the drive. I made the drive down early the next day and got set up to impress my Dad with my new hand winch. He came out to supervise and I got hooked up to the truck to his satisfaction. He was standing in the open driver door so I warned him to get clear. I started pumping the handle and the cable pulled tight. It got so tight that I draped my coat over it. The truck began moving but each couple inches was a work out.  I was now getting the hardest cardio' work-out in years and the Ford Ranger had only moved a couple feet. I had just about decided that this hand witching was for the birds when my Dad started yelling " HOLD IT! HOLD IT! LET ME RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKE!

Oh my gosh it got easier. A memory for life that brings a laugh now.

Sorry to be long winded but I thought that you guys might enjoy. 

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

Sorry to be long winded but I thought that you guys might enjoy

Love to hear stories like that.

Always be long-winded.

Always remember to share..... 

• Like 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine   worked with the rigger  shop at work, first thing you are taught is your view of leverage advantage , always favor the weakest draw spot , will move things easily , have  a number of these  https://www.amazon.com/Liftall-EE2602NTX2-Eye-Eye-Sling-Twisted-Eye/dp/B00TS36V4Y/ref=asc_df_B00TS36V4Y?tag=bingshoppinga-  in my lift / drag , supply , couple of 12 k  2 1/2 " lift straps that far exceed anything that , I  deal with , they were throw a ways , time limit.  like the small chain  ratchet  that @Snoopy11 suggests , very solid  start point . , have any shackles , for connections?  @pfrederi  is that an oiled cable on that winch ? used to service those in the NG, draw them out full length and soaking lubrication as they were pulling the truck forward,  those cable strands draw in the lube while flexing , did a lot of them . when trying to move anything , look for an extended leverage advantage point , and work from there ,  nylon strap a limb , shackle / pull , only a suggestion , pete   

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1