ri702bill

Adapters for a 2 LB Auto Body Slide Hammer

formariz

That is a real great idea. Many times having to remove a large rusty nail in a restoration is a problem . Particularly so if it is an antique cut nail as most are. Cut nails really stick to wood new and when rusted they are nearly impossible to remove. The usual methods using leverage always wind up either damaging piece or breaking nail, may times both. This will knock it straight out leaving only the original hole and no other damage. Thank you for sharing it.

• Thanks 1

ri702bill
2 hours ago, formariz said:

That is a real great idea. Many times having to remove a large rusty nail in a restoration is a problem . Particularly so if it is an antique cut nail as most are.

Cas - thanks for the comment - yup, also had a couple of OLD square cut nails that the heads were sticking up a tad in a joint - latched onto them and they popped right out.

Funny, not too often our machinist and body tools get to work with something that had growth rings. We always tend to "steer" away and around them with the Horses....and other lawn equipment.

Bill

• Haha 1

wallfish

That vice grip idea is a good one!

• Like 1

ri702bill
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

That vice grip idea is a good one!

It is, but I cannot take credit for the originality. As I said, WE all made these up to aid in threaded pull dowel and key removal. The idea came from a rather crusty, for lack of a better word, guy I worked with. He would gladly let you borrow it ONCE, if you asked a second time, he told you that since we BOTH need one, it's time for you to make your own...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ri702bill

I worked at 3 different Machine Tool manufacturers, and i am sure I mentioned this before, about scraped surfaces. Scraping is a lost art - today, you buy a new milling machine and the salesperson tells you the ways are "scraped", that is a lie - they have adjustable tapered gibs to allow take-up for wear and a machine "flaked" finish for oil retention. The old-time scrapers MADE their own surfacing and flaking tools from old GOOD quality used hand files, ground to their individual angle(s) for specific tasks. You just could flat out not buy a "Scraping Tool" from a catalog.

You could ALWAYS tell that a guy was a scraper from a distance - usually hunched over with one forearm (usually the right) that looked like Popeye's - the other was more atrophied in appearance....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

formariz
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

It is, but I cannot take credit for the originality.

Most of us cannot take credit for originality on many ideas or skills we have.  We have all learned them from someone else. We may have improved them or adapted them for our needs, but the principle of it came from someone else usually much before our time. Credit is due however to those who are willing to share them so others can reap the fruit of their usefulness. I was taught early in life that the hoarding of knowledge is a dangerous thing and it will make us think that we are more or better than others. 

2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

He would gladly let you borrow it ONCE, if you asked a second time, he told you that since we BOTH need one, it's time for you to make your own...

Yes, another thing I was  also taught . If you have to borrow a tool do it only once. You should then go buy one since you need it. 

I miss those “old  friends” . A lot of wisdom seldom seen today. What seemed at the time like trivial statements became true lessons in life and how to live it. 

• Like 2

Handy Don
11 hours ago, formariz said:

I miss those “old  friends” .

Cas, go look in a mirror. YOU will be looking at an "old friend".

Edited by Handy Don
  • Haha 1