Evguy

314-8

Evguy

I have a chance to pick up a 314-8 minus engine. Being newer to wheelhorse/ toro built tractors I was wondering if it’s worth the trouble. Input welcome 🙏 

• Excellent 1

Handy Don

A 314 roller in good condition and at the right price is a strong candidate for a re-power. This assumes you are interested in doing the work and want to have it running!

Finding a 12-14hp engine should not be too difficult in your neck of the woods, if you decide to go ahead. Put an add in the site Classified/Wanted

• Like 1

Evguy

It looks ok, going to need a seat and obviously an engine. I didn’t know if things got chintzy after toro acquired wheel horse. 

38F17ED1-FA03-4CD3-949E-4B400AEA5AE5.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Handy Don

There were definitely changes, but Toro stuck with the original designs and quality pretty well. Running gear and transmission are the same as before.

This one looks like it was well used (heavily worn front tires; crunched seat) but stored in shelter (little rust)--that's good. i suspect you might find more than the engine missing but it looks pretty complete. This model should have an hours meter which is mostly relevant for the engine but also indicates the amount of use overall.

I'd want to know why the engine is gone.

Also take a close look at the deck (top and bottom) for rust through or other damage like bent or chipped blades or a bent pulley and spin the blades to check the condition of the spindle bearings (assuming mowing is a use you are planning). Also check the deck lift operation.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3

Evguy

Seller states engine robbed to power something else. Also that all operated ok beforehand. I have a number in mind, I will see how motivated he is to sell.

I have several mowers, but like the classic machines. All others are hydro.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Evguy  if you get that at a good price , hunt around for a good low hour used engine , if possible, or a fresh rebuilt one , that will also give you the opportunity to refit  that with  updated  problem solving  refit changes . a lot of that looks cosmetic  and neglect , concentrate on build quality / detailing , ex , fresh wiring harness , with enhanced grounding point areas. seat is an easy find on line or local farm store . only some ideas , good luck on the engine find , pete 

• Like 1

ri702bill
11 minutes ago, peter lena said:

fresh wiring harness

Take a look to see if wires were properly disconnected or the victim of a pair of side cutters - as @peter lena mentioned, you my need to rewire...

Yo, ElectroDude - opportunity to repower with a fossil free motor?? Watt, Watt?????

• Like 2

Evguy
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Take a look to see if wires were properly disconnected or the victim of a pair of side cutters - as @peter lena mentioned, you my need to rewire...

Yo, ElectroDude - opportunity to repower with a fossil free motor?? Watt, Watt?????

I already repowered a gt1800 electric, that’s enough 🤣

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ri702bill , interesting  view on that , surely that opportunity will be more fitting as time gets closer to that , think he will go with what's  easiest and most cost effective , having a fresh rebuilt 14 horse , would be a very good baseline to the build , pete 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Supporting vendor posted this:

• Excellent 3

Snoopy11

@Evguy... I saw and sent this tractor ad to @davem1111 a week or so ago... if I was closer... I'd S-N-A-T-C-H it (had to outsmart the forum's profanity safeguards on the "S" word)... :lol:

I think it is definitely worth investing into... and the price is acceptable. I say go for it! :banana-dance:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Evguy
29 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

@Evguy... I saw and sent this tractor ad to @davem1111 a week or so ago... if I was closer... I'd S-N-A-T-C-H it (had to outsmart the forum's profanity safeguards on the "S" word)... :lol:

I think it is definitely worth investing into... and the price is acceptable. I say go for it! :banana-dance:

Don

It followed me home, I think I’ll keep it 😜

42 inch deck, needs a few things but for 150 it’ll do.

523A1DE4-08D9-478F-81F8-67FF00AD436C.jpeg

03391E7A-10C9-4170-BB60-B1DDCF6020DA.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

davem1111

If I hadn't already had too many tractors :-o and getting some pushback from my wife on how much time I'm tinkering in the garage, I might have gone for this one.  Maybe tried a re-power with one of those Predator engines that @Snoopy11 like.. I think you'll have some fun with it.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

I think you did well. The deck is the later model with the steel rod reinforcement around the skirt and across the discharge chute. 

Good on ya!

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Predator engines that @Snoopy11 like..

Engines... hmm... well... I like them all... :lol:

If you need anything @Evguy let me know. I've got an OEM Wheel Horse engine mounting plate here that I can let you have, if you need... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 2

Evguy
20 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Engines... hmm... well... I like them all... :lol:

If you need anything @Evguy let me know. I've got an OEM Wheel Horse engine mounting plate here that I can let you have, if you need... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

Appreciate that offer, the plate is missing.

I was looking at subaru engines. Predator, and some used ones on line.

Maybe I can find a motorcycle engine or diesel 🤣

• Like 1

Handy Don

Check with @Pullstart, he's branched out into a snowmobile engine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

76c12091520h
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Supporting vendor posted this:

This would fill in that empty space nicely.....

20220604_175818[1].jpg

20220604_175635[1].jpg

20200425_002159[1].jpg

• Like 3

Snoopy11
14 hours ago, 76c12091520h said:

This would fill in that empty space nicely.....

Yeah, only problem is... we are in Indiana... and you are in PA... that's kinda stretching @Evguy's "range" (pun intended) :lol:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Snoopy11
17 hours ago, Evguy said:

I was looking at subaru engines. Predator, and some used ones on line.

Are you looking to keep the mowing deck usable, or do you plan to delete that? :eusa-think:

Stating the obvious here... but if you plan to keep the mowing deck, don't forget that you don't have a PTO... so you will need that as well. :)

If you don't plan to keep the mowing deck... there are a LOT of options for you. If you plan to keep the mowing deck, I have some engine suggestions which include Duromax, Carroll Stream, and a few others.

If you plan to delete the mowing deck, and you want to go a sporty route... I would suggest going with a Tillotson engine, various performance parts, and possibly having an experienced engine builder put it together for you. :)

I have a wealth of knowledge in this area, so I can keep you from getting bamboozled and spending money in the wrong area... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

Evguy

I got the PTO and all the associated stuff in the deal, minus a few spring clips I can get easily. 

I plan on running the mowing deck. The
wires were unplugged and ignition switch is missing, so that should be straightforward. I’m looking at a Kohler 14 for a good price on Monday, hopefully for about 150

I have built engines of all sizes, and appreciate the offer of knowledge. 
I probably wouldn’t go too crazy spending and losing money in the event of resale. 

I am thrifty and don’t like to waste any cash.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, Evguy said:

don’t like to waste any cash

I DO!!! :laughing-rolling:

Don

Evguy
4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I DO!!! :laughing-rolling:

Don

Mine or yours? :ychain:

Evguy

I found a donor for the 314, it came with a cub cadet stuck to it. 
I’ll see how it works out and post in repower thread.

F0EB1BE7-B297-4E4E-9B94-7A7B7266FC9E.jpeg

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:               Looks like a good hefty candidate to get the job done. Not a direct bolt up but overcoming obstacles is half the fun of a project.

• Like 1