cafoose

Wood finishing advice

cafoose

@formariz @953 nut or anyone else. I have a 25 year anniversary chair for years of service at Hershey Medical Center. It has a scratch maybe 1/32 or 1/64 deep. How can I fix it?

299004600_389169853352632_85088967408825

HMC chair.jpg

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice chair! 

Look forward to the expert advice, as I have a table with a similar issue.

(With a chair I’d be inclined to go for a nice seat cushion to cover it up and call it a day…) :hide:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I'm with Jim.     Maybe a nice plaid.

Image result for plaid seat cushion pics

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
45 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Nice chair! 

Look forward to the expert advice, as I have a table with a similar issue.

(With a chair I’d be inclined to go for a nice seat cushion to cover it up and call it a day…) :hide:

But then the cat WILL claim it as it's own....

• Haha 4

cafoose
49 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm with Jim.     Maybe a nice plaid

Those are good suggestions however, this chair is irreplaceable and I would like to fix the scratch.

298874023_389169906685960_8564507260051071402_n.jpg

299074359_389169953352622_1290837454297772992_n.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

I’m no woodworker, but there are a ton of different color stains available.  I’d sand the scratch area smooth and re-stain it.  Or, there is wood puddy. You could fill the scratch, sand it, then determine if it needs more stain..

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@formariz Maybe the wood expert will give you the best advise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

First you have to realize that it will always be somewhat visible specially to you. There isn’t also a quick fix. It takes time and patience.Having said that first determine whether scratch has penetrated only finish or has it gone into the wood it self. Do not attempt to stain it since most likely will turn dark and therefor even more noticeable. If it went into the wood the best way is to burn in a lacquer stick of the appropriate color. That requires a certain knowledge and equipment. However it will be the best fix and it is durable. 

If it is only through finish you have only to introduce appropriate finish material into damage area and build it up in little steps. Eventually then it has to be leveled off such as in the case of lacquer stick. That means the entire seat has to be polished otherwise you will have a big different spot  rather than a scratch. 

You are going to need more instructions than a simple post. Determine what you need to do. I can lend you the proper stuff for the burning in method. If needed I can also do a small video teaching you how to do it. Always best watching someone . Take your time and don’t be in a hurry. That will only make it worse. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Congrats on the 25 year chair Chuck.   I'm jealous,  all i got for 48 years was a handful of tie tacks.   And I never wear a tie.

104_0862.JPG.ac1518bbf17b64fe4b4dcdb4229d33da.JPG

If you don't mind, while the experts are on here, what's the best  way to fix this water damage on a maple dresser?

743522270_104_0855(1).JPG.ee64485f6864084a7c1e23e50d8cf566.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

cafoose

@formariz 

20220811_152659.jpg

• Like 1

formariz

It’s deep and into the wood. Can be satisfactorily repaired but always noticeable. The only way to totally get rid of it would be to redo the whole seat. I know it’s important to you. You need to decide how you want it to come out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

best  way to fix this water damage on a maple dresser?

It may be best to redo the whole top Ed. That finish is a bit of a glaze where the top coat also has color. Commercially made furniture is sprayed with a toner so regardless of the differences in different pieces of material it all comes out with an even tone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
37 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm jealous,  all i got for 48 years was a handful of tie tacks.   And I never wear a tie.

All I got (and 271 others) when the new CEO closed our Division was unemployment, a "Last Supper", and a generic letter of recommendation. I told our HR manager to forward my letter to the CEO so he could wipe himself with it .....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

formariz

This is all you need for the repair.

5974B5FD-669A-40A4-B7BA-F1E856C6AB99.jpeg.72907a308efef79d2a950eac7d94eeb9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
4 minutes ago, formariz said:

This is all you need for the repair.

Thanks Cas, can you tell me how to use those things to make the repair?

formariz
15 minutes ago, cafoose said:

Thanks Cas, can you tell me how to use those things to make the repair?

Yes. Give me a little time. I’ll do a short video. It’s real simple.just requires a bit of practice.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

roadapples

Can not say enough good things about Hershey Medical Center. Hope none of you ever need to go there, but if you do you'll be in good hands. Wonderful staff. They saved my life...

Can't help with the chair

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 4

953 nut
19 hours ago, cafoose said:

I have a 25 year anniversary chair for years of service at Hershey Medical Center. It has a scratch maybe 1/32 or 1/64 deep.

Glad Cas has you covered on this problem. I have used multiple applications of wood Gel Stains to fill shallow scratches but having gone into the wood is quite another story. Looking forward to the video on the melting lacquer sticks from @formariz.

17 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

what's the best  way to fix this water damage on a maple dresser

You could try sanding to feather out the edges where the finish has lifted then give the whole top a light sanding and follow up with a good restoration finish. The illustration on the can is a bit misleading, without some sanding and blending nothing is going to hide a mark like that.

I have used this one with success.      shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTE1et-n8YwJK2hQ4A3TJBiCxzdW2nDC_n4twfSJN7gREay0801SMGuVz58x9ME0tUw5IMY_6MDT2Bw9JtD0Rx6aRM9XcfofZbuJ0aPTFrAKVn-aiOJ6ZO&usqp=CAE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

D_Mac

I would not sand or stain it. Doing that will only make it more noticeable. I was going to suggest filling it with a little wax or paint. Won't be perfect but could camouflage it a little. I would listen to what @formarizis going to suggest. He is an expert woodworker.

• Thanks 2

formariz

Below you have a short video on how to repair scratch by “burning in “ a lacquer stick. You can use similar method using wax sticks also although it is not a durable repair. 

Keep a few things in mind for this and any other repairs;
Don’t expect invisibility specially on a horizontal surface. It’s not possible. Light reflection differences are very noticeable on repairs in horizontal surfaces.

Video is on a relatively dark piece of finished mahogany. You will get better results on a lighter finish. 

Take your time , the easy part was scratching it. 

Impatience, hard rubbing or drastic measures  are only going to make it more noticeable.

Scratches along grain will always be less visible than the ones across the grain.

As much as possible touch only damaged area and nothing else. Doing so will only aggravate and spread problem

The only way to get rid of it would be to sand  seat part and refinish. Not easy due to spindles and then very good possibility that it will be different from rest of chair. 

Damage on chair seems to be on concave part of seat . To use my leveling method you will need a gouge and not a chisel. 

If you are going to attempt this method practice on another piece until you are comfortable with process and realize the result of certain actions.

Let me know if I can assist you with anything you will need should you decide to take this route. 

• Excellent 3