Wheelhorse#1

K301 blown crank seal

Wheelhorse#1

I Was moving the 12 auto from the garage to the shed when the crank seal on the PTO side whent out.No warning, no unusual noises.Was enough oil to run on inside of drive pulley and sling it everywhere making a mess.Pulled the breather and everything looks fine.Tested compression is good.

Anything els that would cause the seal to fail so quickly,just seems odd to me or just go out that way sometimes ?thxy

squonk

Did it push out or just started leaking at the sealing surface? May be a small nick or worn spot on the crankshaft.  I believe that seal is all rubber? I have used Permatex bearing and sleeve retainer on the outside edge of rubber seals to keep them in place.  Dodge 2.2 cam seals mostly.

ri702bill
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

Dodge 2.2 cam seals mostly.

The ones with the infamous porous head casting.....??

Edited by ri702bill

squonk
14 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

The ones with the infamous porous head casting.....??

Among other things! :)

Wheelhorse#1
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Did it push out or just started leaking at the sealing surface? May be a small nick or worn spot on the crankshaft.  I believe that seal is all rubber? I have used Permatex bearing and sleeve retainer on the outside edge of rubber seals to keep them in place.  Dodge 2.2 cam seals mostly.

Not sure yet can't get a good look at it.Ill pull the drive pulley and give it look see.Im thinking it must of pushed out considering the amount of oil that was bleeding out of there. 

squonk
5 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Not sure yet can't get a good look at it.Ill pull the drive pulley and give it look see.Im thinking it must of pushed out considering the amount of oil that was bleeding out of there. 

If it pushed out, Clean it all up with brake cleaner. Scuff the area the seal seats on the block with sandpaper blow dry the area and apply Permatex bearing and sleeve retainer around the outside of the seal. Install and let it sit a day.

• Like 3

Wheelhorse#1

@squonk Ever seen this before ? 

There’s no play at all on the crank.

5CE2CFD0-E4D3-43AA-8D39-742E3889B374.jpeg

78C95844-CCAB-4EC6-9E86-7DF64B6720A4.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

ineedanother

Ever seen this before ? 

Nope, I've seen them work out but not in. I'll bet that made and oily mess.

• Like 1

ineedanother

I would at first suspect that it had not been installed correctly, but by the markings on the crank shaft it looks like it had been right where it was supposed to be. :dunno:

squonk

Yes I have seen them do that on those Chrysler cams. That's the trouble with all rubber seals. They can flex and move Get that seal out of there and get a new one. Some material may have been ground off  Glue the new one in with the bearing and sleeve retainer.

Wheelhorse#1

When I pulled the seal out of there it came out surprisingly easily I was Abel to get a corse thread drywall screw in one side, pulled and it slid right out.Very loose. either wrong size or it shrunk that much.:confusion-shrug:

I had a new seal I completely forgot about, installed after de-greasing and scuffing and glued it in.Thx for the tips!

AD431379-C953-44D5-87DB-BFAE36F04731.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 2

Wheelhorse#1
4 hours ago, ineedanother said:

Ever seen this before ? :banghead:

Nope, I've seen them work out but not in. I'll bet that made and oily mess.

You bet, all over the exhaust and everywhere els including me.A real disaster...:huh:      

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

squonk
55 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

When I pulled the seal out of there it came out surprisingly easily I was Abel to get a corse thread drywall screw in one side, pulled and it slid right out.Very loose. either wrong size or it shrunk that much.:confusion-shrug:

I had a new seal I completely forgot about, installed after de-greasing and scuffing and glued it in.Thx for the tips!

Who knows with quality control  and off shore parts. The 2 seals on the engine are 2 different sizes. Maybe  they packed   2 of one size in the kit. What did you glue it in with?

Wheelhorse#1
2 hours ago, squonk said:

. What did you glue it in with?

Permatex 64000 I think its called .Ive had the same small tube forever, glad you mentioned it as I probably would have forgotten I even had it.Last I used was on a keyway

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1