pfrederi

Carb Splash Guard

pfrederi

How important is the splash guard/gasket (2504102).  They are not used in many Walbro carbs or in any Techy carbs.  Reason I ask is cost.  You can by the bowl gasket for $2-3.  But the splash things costs $6-8 or more.  Not a big deal for one but when you have 20 WHs....

splash.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've had some carbs that I have not put that back in and been perfectly fine.

I did have one where I ran into an issue and I can't remember which. I think it was on a Kohler 16?

I'll be waiting to see the views and technical information other folks come up with. I'm wondering if maybe you were on smooth terrain most of the time you would probably be perfectly fine. I feel like that's why I had a problem on my own engine.

• Like 2

squonk

I left it out once on my C-160. Engine sputtered over bumps when the tractor moved quickly side to side. (Traveling over tree roots) Put it in and problem went away.

• Like 7

Pullstart

Huh.  I have a magnum 12 that sputters quite a bit when it gets bumpy.  I always thought maybe a float height issue.  I’ll have to see if there’s one of these in it!

• Like 3

pacer

Same here on a Kohler 16, slightest little bump and it'd stumble and blow a puff of black smoke. I fiddled with the float setting and got a little results, but was still doing it so I dug around in my carb 'spare parts box' and found another decent looking splash guard the had just a slight difference in the 'cut-out' portion and that and the fiddling with float level finally got .... maybe 90% of the stumble out. But, might as well own up and admit it was one of the $15 import carbs:naughty:

But on several occasions I have had to tinker with float level to get mild problems. So I figure that flimsy little funny looking gasket is pretty critical!

Edited by pacer
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

Probably don't need it if you're only mowing golf greens, but for bumpy terrain, spend the bucks for the splash guard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I know most everyone hates Techies but the HH 70 on my L107 has no splash guard and as my chore tractor she  bounces over some rough ground...no problems...Trying to think of why the Kohler carbs are more sensitive to rough terrain....

• Confused 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I know most everyone hates Techies but the HH 70 on my L107 has no splash guard and as my chore tractor she  bounces over some rough ground...no problems...Trying to think of why the Kohler carbs are more sensitive to rough terrain....

I'm wondering if the answer to that question might lie in the physical location of the vent pipes for each style of carb.

953 nut
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

most everyone hates Techies

Hate is not the case here, just have all Koehler engines. The Magnum on my 310-8 has a Walbro carburetor had a problem of running rich while ascending steep grades when I bought it. Took it apart to clean it and check the float setting, it had no splash guard and I added one while assembling the carb. No more problem! 

The kits I buy are about $ 5.00 on :techie-ebay:(2 for $ 10) and include the splash guard.

• Like 3

Handy Don

I've used both Kohler OEM and off-brand carb kits--both with splash guards. The OEM was slightly thicker material. 

• Like 4

rmaynard

I always put in a splash guard for the reasons mentioned above.

$5.00 (delivered) is a much more reasonable price.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

formariz

From the Brian Miller site:

FYI - The fuel baffle/splash shield prevents fuel inside the float bowl from traveling up through the atmospheric vent opening (air passageway into the float bowl) and into the throttle bore when the engine is "moving around" or "moving up and down" severely, such as on a go-kart, garden tiller or small all-terrain vehicle, which could cause the engine to momentarily run rich on fuel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oldredrider

Maybe I'm a little "slow" because I don't understand this topic. The Kohler parts list shows the baffle. Why would anyone question the manufacturer regarding integral parts? Do y'all leave out the float needle or the bowl gasket too?

Please tell me if I'm missing something or did I just NOT get the memo. 

:rolleyes: 

• Like 3

pfrederi
18 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Maybe I'm a little "slow" because I don't understand this topic. The Kohler parts list shows the baffle. Why would anyone question the manufacturer regarding integral parts? Do y'all leave out the float needle or the bowl gasket too?

Please tell me if I'm missing something or did I just NOT get the memo. 

:rolleyes: 

Just questioned why it was necessary to have the baffle when other small engine carbs get along just fine with out them

Kohler seemed to think balance gears were a good idea... lot of people leave them out with no apparent issue....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

oldredrider

My guess about the baffle would come down to carburetor design. 

Walbro carbs don't have a baffle but the "design" is different than a Kohler or Carter carb.

I highly respect you and your knowledge and thank you for contributing your input and experience.

• Like 1