TJ5208

Which one

TJ5208

I now have to chose between a Raider 14 or my 520-8. The Raider has been completely rebuilt and restored. My 520-8 needs a ignition trigger. but there so expensive and my parents won't let me spend the money for the part which is 150 bucks. So I am forced to sell my 520. Just to ask which would you guys pick a 520-8 or a Raider 14. The guy wants 1500 for it but he needs a extra 500 to deliver it. I would hate for my 520 to go.

20220805_011232.png

20220805_004735.png

received_1542515002833804.jpeg

received_369264518693084.jpeg

received_354087096760185.jpeg

received_383417493927243.jpeg

received_3282184742051983.jpeg

received_1104839940111196.jpeg

Edited by TJ Salyers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

ri702bill

No PTO on the Raider?? That cuts down the number of implements you can use - could convince me to fix the 520.....

Bill

• Like 1

Pullstart

I recently traded my 520-8 for a functioning GT14 with a three point and a tiller.  I haven’t missed the 520 but the newer stuff just isn’t my style.  I agree with @ri702bill… the Raider is missing the PTO.  I think you’d be better off finding a Raider that you can restore yourself rather than spend $1500-2000 to get one that might need a few things.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

Soo.. spending $2000 on a new tractor is okay but $150 on new ignition parts is not? :blink:

I would advise you to stick with what you got and learn to fix it (if you don't already know how to do that). It will build your skill and help you appreciate the tractor more than to just buy something somebody else has fixed and like @Pullstart said still might need a few things to make it 'perfect' :twocents-02cents:

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Tractorhead

As long as you have the space to store them, I would try to keep em both.

To choose one of them was a real hard decision in my opinion.

- maybe it depends few day‘s left to save the money for the ignition trigger, 

but  i like the Sound of the V Engines.

it depends also on what you to want to do with them.

The missing PTO can be maybe ignored if it should work as Plow machine or as a puller.

Hard to choose...

• Like 3

953 nut
46 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

spending $2000 on a new tractor is okay but $150 on new ignition parts is not?

I was thinking the same thing. The 520-8 is an uncommon :wh: and  appears to be well worth repairing.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

Soo.. spending $2000 on a new tractor is okay but $150 on new ignition parts is not? :blink:

I would advise you to stick with what you got and learn to fix it (if you don't already know how to do that). It will build your skill and help you appreciate the tractor more than to just buy something somebody else has fixed and like @Pullstart said still might need a few things to make it 'perfect' :twocents-02cents:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 4

23 Reo

For $150 fix the 520-8 . You have a powerful, rare and super comfortable Wheel Horse. I pulled a Raider 14 out of the woods about nine years ago. It's a great old Horse but nothing special. I call it Cyclops because it has a single round headlight mounted on the front and the rest of the tractor is really ugly. $2000. is a lot of  money for a Raider 14. It doesn't  even have a mule drive, a PTO or a frame mounted attach-a-matic. If it comes with a deck what type of mount  does it have? I changed my Raider to the attach-a-matic mounting system so all my decks will mount on all my tractors. You know what to do, dig up that $150.

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA

$2,000 for a machine missing a crucial part (and who knows what else?) vs. $150 to fix a perfectly respectable machine you’re in possession of and are already familiar with?  Dude!

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Confused 1

Sparky

Is that $150 quote for a brand new ignition trigger?

Buying used electronic parts from “strangers” can be risky…but I wouldn’t hesitate to contact Lincoln at AZ Tractor to see if he has a good used one. Get into our vendors section and send him a message. 

• Like 3

peter lena

@TJ Salyers  , typically seeing something else , that raider paint is in the perfect lubrication soak down stage , very easy to spray it down and soak in for a day , rub it down till dry , no sand paper or scratch pads , do it again , just saved patina , and will shed water without effort . just what I  would do ,if I  had that , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
On 8/5/2022 at 6:24 AM, sjoemie himself said:

Soo.. spending $2000 on a new tractor is okay but $150 on new ignition parts is not?

Precisely.... :bow-yellow:

On a different thought... if I am understanding correctly... the plan is to sell the 520 and buy the Raider. But what I want to know is... who gave a 2,000$ value on a non-running 520...? :confusion-confused:

Around here... it just 'h'aint worth that... :snooty:

Second thought... TJ, don't you already have a Raider??? You know... the one that the Tecumseh engine is on that you refused to spend 100$ to put a replacement engine on? For various reasons... you don't seem to be able to fix any of the tractors you have. What happens when something on the "restored" raider goes bad...? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'll just give you the same advice that I have given you over and over. FIX WHATCHYA' HAVE or don't have NOTHING... :text-thankyouyellow:

I've never sold a POS tractor that wasn't running.... and ended up with a "restored" machine as a replacement. You have to use mechanical knowledge, time, money, and effort to fix what you have. Then if you decide to sell, you will find that you can actually buy what you want... otherwise... you are in for a rude awakening... you won't have any tractors... :doh:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

On a different thought... if I am understanding correctly... the plan is to sell the 520 and buy the Raider. But what I want to know is... who gave a 2,000$ value on it

Some truth right there…your 520’s value as a non-runner has plummeted. Not just by $150 (cost of ignition part) but quite possibly it’s dropped by half its value. 
  Those Onans are great motors but they do have that valve seat issue which to the best of my knowledge is undetectable unless it’s running. I wouldn’t even consider a non- running Onan 20 unless it was CHEAP! I don’t care what the seller promises me, just to risky.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I don’t care what the seller promises me, just to risky.

Indeed...

Me personally, in my area... I wouldn't spend 2,000$ on a RUNNING 520-8... OR a Raider... unless it came with a mowing deck and implements... and even then... I would still have to think really hard... :ph34r:

Don

Bill D

Sell the Raider.  Use the money to fix the 520-8

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Bill D said:

Sell the Raider.  Use the money to fix the 520-8

Brilliant idea... except that whoever he sells it to is not going to be able to pick it up at his house... they will have to meet him on foot at the gas station near his house, or on foot at his neighbor's house... or carry the tractor 400 feet up the road like I had to do with the 800s...  :jaw:

I'd be the first one in line to buy the Raider if it was a positive experience... :(

Don

TJ5208
On 8/6/2022 at 4:33 PM, Snoopy11 said:

Brilliant idea... except that whoever he sells it to is not going to be able to pick it up at his house... they will have to meet him on foot at the gas station near his house, or on foot at his neighbor's house... or carry the tractor 400 feet up the road like I had to do with the 800s...  :jaw:

I'd be the first one in line to buy the Raider if it was a positive experience... :(

Don

If you want you could meet me at my house but I would have to think about selling it.

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, TJ Salyers said:

If you want you could meet me at my house

Oh hell no...

• Haha 1

TJ5208
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Oh hell no...

?? I'm talking about if you bought the tractor.

Sparky

@Snoopy11 @TJ Salyers

If you guys are working out a sale/transaction (or not) please use our private message system to deal with it. 
  Thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

kpinnc

The 520 is more capable slightly, but the Raider is far more dependable- all things being equal.

Tough call!

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
18 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

I'm talking about if you bought the tractor

I'm not interested... :rolleyes: