SylvanLakeWH

Yard Art to Electric Cruiser???

davem1111
32 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

36V Electric Brushless DC Motor Kits 1000W BLDC Mid Motor 3100RPM 27.7A with 30A Speed Controller Handlebar Twist Grip Throttle Go Kart Motor Kit

Does it have a reverse?

36V - would you use 3 x 12V batteries in series?  Where would they go?  Take the old motor off?

Sounds like a fun project! :music-rockon:

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Does it have a reverse?

If it could have a free wheel clutch I’m sure you could push it backwards..

Pullstart

Or could the motor spin backwards by chance?

Pullstart

One more brain fart.  Sorry for the visuals Sylvia!  :laughing-rolling:

At the 2019 Portage Garden Tractor Daze, there was an electric RJ that had a small trailer containing all the batteries.  I’m pretty sure I’ve sent you that picture before.  

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
54 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Does it have a reverse?

36V - would you use 3 x 12V batteries in series?  Where would they go?  Take the old motor off?

Sounds like a fun project! :music-rockon:

If transmission is free / fixable yes reverse - I think. If not, motor is reversible. Switch maybe?

Yes 3 12 v in series. I think small ones would fit under hood and seat.

Yes remove existing engine.

46 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

If it could have a free wheel clutch I’m sure you could push it backwards..

Yup - only for back yard slow cruising. No real need for reverse…

46 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Or could the motor spin backwards by chance?

Yes it can.

42 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

One more brain fart.  Sorry for the visuals Sylvia!  :laughing-rolling:

At the 2019 Portage Garden Tractor Daze, there was an electric RJ that had a small trailer containing all the batteries.  I’m pretty sure I’ve sent you that picture before.  

Visuals or smellables…? :scared-eek:

I’ve seen that pic. Don’t think I’ll want a trailer on this one, but who knows. That could be the “tender” car on a new SL&WHN RR line… :eusa-think:

Excellent input / Q’s… keep them coming… Thank you!!!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 4

Achto
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Yes remove existing engine.

:confusion-confused: How about gut the existing engine and hide the electric motor inside of it??? 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Tractorhead

If it have no reverse and a pure DC Motor ( 2 Wires to the Motor)

it can be reversed by a Doubleacting Switch.

if it is a BLDC Motor ( brushless with 3 Wires to the Motor) just twist 2 phase wires,

that will reverse the Motor.

but on both Motorsystems it is the same theymust be 100% stopped before switching, 

otherwise the electronic may damage.

This is even more important, if it have an electronic Motor brake.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:…. it may be able to run both directions by reversing the polarity . So why not use the transmission ? Set the steering up like a new model maybe just shorten one down . That would open it up under the hood/bonnet for three batteries maybe and have side panels to cover them up . I was thinking this kind of setup for a project in my head that’ll never happen. Blending a 702 and RJ for achieving a certain look of a orange tractor my case . I would call it a model WH™ To pay homage to the brand.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ACman

I probably have what you’re looking for but I can’t get you any pictures as most of it is out of reach. I’m also a procrastinator and just putting off the inevitable of selling all my stuff . 

• Like 1

wallfish

I did an electric Lawn Ranger a while ago and used a starter generator from a cub cadet or simplicity as the motor since they spin the correct direction with a belt to the trans. 1 deep cycle marine battery ran it. It had an onboard charger/ maintainer so just plug an extension cord to it and it was ready to go.

Not good for long rides but it went well around at one of the shows. It had a full blown fish aquarium under the hood, lights, bubbles etc etc. Built for a friends young daughter that liked that show Tanked so it wasn't here for very long. I don't know how long one of those S/Gs will last doing that.

• Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool! Any pics?

I was wondering if a single 12v motor and battery would do the trick… simpler and cheaper… never thought of a starter generator… would have a strong enough shaft I guess hey?

• Excellent 1

wallfish

12 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Any pics?

S/G is mounted below the frame. You can see it right below the belt guard. You can also see the black plastic battery box behind the rear fender mounted to the rear of the trans.

Not filled and not set up with fish here as they were picking it up. I left that up to her to decorate it however she liked.

Acrylic tank. Had to seal the top and get creative to vent it so it wouldn't splash water out.

post-9-0-06835900-1398472135_thumb.jpg.55a91bf67904a140fe96d5f5977d0df2.jpg.0c250920cb2d8f93de5e34a3698f4ca3.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

ri702bill
On 8/2/2022 at 5:57 PM, wallfish said:

so it wouldn't splash water out.

along with the "kitty treats" inside ...

• Haha 2

Handy Don

I like the hood ornament, too!

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I must be brain dead... how the hell did I miss this thread?

Snoop is late, but present...

I would think... you could buy a speed controller for an EZ go golf cart, with direction controller, and you could have forward and reverse... :eusa-think:

Don

• Like 1

Evguy

There are reverse contactors available for reversing. I don’t know the  age of operators, but remote shut down might be a good thing. 
I have electrified a lot of vehicles, using mobility parts, floor scrubber motors, fork lift pump motors, etc. 

There’s lots of options depending on speed and funds available for project. 
Golf cart motors usually require axle due to no bearing support on the motor itself.

• Like 2

Vurge

Not Wheel Horse, but I've done a couple conversions.  The golf cart motor will require more work (need to buy or machine a shaft). 

In my Craftsman, I kept the belt drive and 6 speed transmission but replaced with motor.  Keeping the original drivetrain gives you reverse without a FNR switch and the multiple gears give you a lot of options for torque/speed. With a bigger pulley, the top speed is now about 10-12 mph.  Low speed is basically a crawl in first gear because you control the motor speed with the foot throttle.  My initial 1hp motor burnt up.  I thought it was because I was running too slow (low voltage) but in retrospect, I pretty sure it was just overloaded.  I'm learning as I go.... :D  Updated with a 2.5hp motor and that's been working perfect.  Pics in this thread:  

Edited by Vurge
  • Thanks 1