lynnmor

Bad Tractor Accident

lynnmor

The accident happened near the bottom of a 3/4 mile long hill with a 9% grade and sharp curves.  There is a short straight section there that has a sharp 15 MPH right hand curve, from the marks on the road it appears that the tractor was already on its side and slid straight ahead across the road and into the trees.  The trailer was a small, lightweight single axle unit like you see at Home Depot.  Probably way overloaded and may have started swaying.  The fact that he made it thru a number of sharp, steep curves is a miracle.  From the names of the victims, they were undoubtedly Amish.

formariz
4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The accident happened near the bottom of a 3/4 mile long hill with a 9% grade and sharp curves.  There is a short straight section there that has a sharp 15 MPH right hand curve, from the marks on the road it appears that the tractor was already on its side and slid straight ahead across the road and into the trees.  The trailer was a small, lightweight single axle unit like you see at Home Depot.  Probably way overloaded and may have started swaying.  The fact that he made it thru a number of sharp, steep curves is a miracle.  From the names of the victims, they were undoubtedly Amish.

Beginning to sound to me like @bc.gold assessment is quite accurate as to the cause of accident.

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

For over 60 years there has been a small village festival in a neighboring village every year.

In order to de-escalate the parking lot situation, the guests are driven to the festival site on a tractor trailer, which is great fun and has a tradition.

The village youth are always recruited as drivers and this has been the case for the last 60 years without any accidents.

Except for an accident 4 years ago.

On the steepest part of the descent, the rear right tire of the tractor burst

- although it was a brand new tyreset on it -
the entire vehicle was overturned on the steepest part

and one of the youths who was driving the tractor was killed several persons was injured.

The municipality considered using a bus in the future,
but it cannot drive over the narrow and steep slope.
If you are using a Sprinter size you will need at least 6 buses that you have to keep running around for space reasons.
In addition, horse-drawn carriage rides have been part of the village tradition for decades.
I was in the trailer myself and knew the boy. He was definitely not a daredevil.

However, I doubt that some adults there would have reacted better to a blowout on this part of the track.

He works every day at this point with the huge team and definitely masters it.

Even his parents voted to keep this tradition alive.

However, when I look at so many townsfolk rushing through our villages here, it's more of a miracle to me that nothing worse has happened so far, apart from body damage.

• Like 1

bc.gold
20 minutes ago, formariz said:

Beginning to sound to me like @bc.gold assessment is quite accurate as to the cause of accident.

The authority's should be given a heads up.

It would be normal to think low range would give the most engine breaking power.

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

Just a bit more information.  The tractor was headed uphill and the driver had trouble getting it into a gear that would work so it drifted backwards and off the road.  It might have something to do with the knob mentioned by @bc.gold  Funeral is today.

Tractorhead

Sad to hear that.

Each Accident with a killed person is one to much.

But sometimes it can happen, sometimes just a fract of a second decides between Survive or go.

Who is free from any Fail while driving ?

Sent some prayers to the Survivors.

davem1111
On 7/30/2022 at 7:51 AM, Stormin said:

To be honest, looking at that trailer, I wouldn't even think of carrying an adult never mind several children on it. Gross incompetence and stupidity. 

Yep. I hate it when they use the term "accident" to describe events like this (maybe they didn't, in this case). Nothing accidental about it.  Your terms fit much better.

Very sad for the victims, but pissed off at the tractor driver and the parents who put their kids in this situation. :sad:

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

The tractor was headed uphill

When I saw the mangled trailer on the roll back,  It was clear the tractor rolled over the trailer.

I learned early on not to change gears on a steep hill.   Always start up a hill in the lowest gear.

I flipped Grandpaws Allis Chalmers B when I was pulling a drag sled of boulders for the field stone house we were building.

I started up the hill in 2nd and ran out of power.  Changed to 1st  and the B threw me back in the seat so far I could not reach the clutch.

I bailed and the B stalled upside down on the load of boulders.

• Sad 1

Tractorhead
11 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I learned early on not to change gears on a steep hill.   

One of the most important lessons as i find 👍

lynnmor
30 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

tractor driver and the parents who put their kids in this situation. :sad:

As more information rolls in, things might change, but for now it appears that the tractor driver lost his wife, two of his daughters and a nephew.  The severely injured driver was pinned by the ankle and couldn't get loose to help.  One of the children that could walk went for help and after reaching help he could go no more.  The Amish community doesn't freely discuss such things if it is not necessary.

davem1111
29 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

As more information rolls in, things might change, but for now it appears that the tractor driver lost his wife, two of his daughters and a nephew.  The severely injured driver was pinned by the ankle and couldn't get loose to help.  One of the children that could walk went for help and after reaching help he could go no more.  The Amish community doesn't freely discuss such things if it is not necessary.

Well, it's never good to jump to conclusions. Still, I think no matter what, this whole scenario had way too high a chance of ending badly from the start. I'm sure he had no intentions of this happening, but that doesn't mean it was "okay" to do it.  The phrase "reckless endangerment" comes to mind...

Ed Kennell
38 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The Amish community doesn't freely discuss such things if it is not necessary.

It seems the news media has respected their silence.   I have not heard any updates on the condition of the 5 children that were reported to be in critical condition at Hershey Med. Ctr.

I have not talked with my neighbor (David Fisher) since the accident.

• Like 1

Tractorhead
47 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

The phrase "reckless endangerment" comes to mind...

But honestly, don't we all sometimes do reckless things that can lead to accidents?
Sometimes without having a guilty conscience,

simply because the situation arose without having given much thought to it beforehand.

I would be lying if I said -
I have never done anything that could seriously hurt others.

• Like 2

lynnmor
46 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

It seems the news media has respected their silence.   I have not heard any updates on the condition of the 5 children that were reported to be in critical condition at Hershey Med. Ctr.

I have not talked with my neighbor (David Fisher) since the accident.

I have my old 8 passenger van that might be useful to haul the grieving folks around but I haven't been able to make contact with those affected.  With one family in Lancaster County and people in hospitals I'm sure that is a challenge for them.  Just today, my daughter said to go to the Amish store in Collinsville where they were assisting, maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

I'm cautious not to invade my neighbors privacy, but I needed some sweet corn, so I rode the WH P-UP back to the farm this AM.      I was greeted by the baby sitter who said David and Annie were at the Stoltzfus Family funeral.    She said they delayed the funeral a bit in hopes the father would be released from the hospital in time for the funeral.  

I asked about the condition of the five surviving children.  She said today they would remove the life support from the infant that suffered massive brain injuries. She offered no info on the other four children.

• Sad 4

formariz

A good time for us to reflect on many things we do without concern that could prove catastrophic. What was probably a fun or regular part of their lives tragically destroyed it for ever . Ironically caused by a machine that would never be a part of their lives as they were taught to live it, but introduced as they relinquish their old ways. 

• Like 3

lynnmor
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm cautious not to invade my neighbors privacy, but I needed some sweet corn, so I rode the WH P-UP back to the farm this AM.      I was greeted by the baby sitter who said David and Annie were at the Stoltzfus Family funeral.    She said they delayed the funeral a bit in hopes the father would be released from the hospital in time for the funeral.  

I asked about the condition of the five surviving children.  She said today they would remove the life support from the infant that suffered massive brain injuries. She offered no info on the other four children.

I went to the Amish store to offer my transportation and received the same information.  On the way home I drove by the family residence where they were holding their service and saw numerous buggys, cars and trucks.  Only a small portion of the property is visible from the road so I likely didn't see the half of it.  Spread the word about the food truck benefit this Friday from 4 to 8 at the New Bridgeville Fire Hall.

• Heart 1

Ed Kennell

The neighbors got home this afternoon and picked two wagon loads of cantaloupes.

104_0841.JPG.463d3b4af3d08b9c53d8e293bfffd514.JPG

• Heart 2

Ed Kennell

Just got home from the food truck benefit for the three families involved in the accident.

Thanks to all:    New Bridgeville Fire Company, all the vendor, and all those that came out on a very warm evening.

104_0851.JPG.fd9538762b1b765e0a62e3a80c1a99c3.JPG

Met a lot of friends and neighbors including this   :rs: couple.     Thanks for stopping Lynn.     @lynnmor

104_0852.JPG.423de506a6eeb54b816fe90c7f16079c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

lynnmor

What a great day!  The turnout for this food truck fundraiser was beyond belief.  With good folks like @Ed Kennell packing food out, the sales was incredible.

IMG_0495.JPG.618bef56aea9eab9f68dbb4b01ffccf1.JPGIMG_0496.thumb.JPG.aaef3d5605363600001f17fde79610a2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

EB-80/8inPA

God bless you @Ed Kennell and @lynnmor for showing up. I’m sure every bit must help.  Please keep us posted and informed of anything that can be done to help.  Such a tragic and sad thing to happen.  Horrible news this was.

• Like 1