lynnmor

Bad Tractor Accident

lynnmor

Today a man driving an old tractor towing a flat bed trailer on a very steep rural road that has sharp turns lost control and rolled both the tractor and wagon.  The man was severely injured, but worse, the wagon contained a dozen people, mostly kids.  An adult women and three kids were killed, others were injured.  This road is the road I live on and both the media and I thought it must have been Amish but we need to wait for better information.  Sad day around here.

• Sad 17
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

Sad day for sure Lynn.    Just heard the driver is in serious condition and 5 children are critical at Hershey Medical Center.      Possible Otter Creek Campground hayride?

At first news, I also thought ..buggy accident.

lynnmor

Not sure, the tractor was an old Massey Ferguson diesel on STEEL wheels, don’t know yet if the wagon was on steel.

I understand that the Amish children frequent the area for recreation.

The news media reported horse & buggy at first.

Edited by lynnmor

Ed Kennell

I saw the MF tractor on the roll back.   It looked like rubber tread over the steel wheels.

Pullstart

Bad news indeed.  As someone who was recently in a small tiff with a certain company, children, equipment, and operating, and mentioning I’d hate to see my child injured or killed doing this sort of activity, I wish harm could not be done with fun times.  I’m a believer though that there is a grander plan that we don’t control, even if we don’t understand it right now.  

• Like 4

The Freightliner Guy

That’s why I’m welding a belt cover on my rj so the band doesn’t rip my leg off

AMC RULES

Surprised hayrides on state highways is even legal these days.

Ed Kennell
13 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I understand that the Amish children frequent the area for recreation.

Was it an Amish family Lynn?    I know they swim there at the public boat launch.

I watch my Amish neighbors 2 and 4 yo playing around the horses and riding on the equipment every day.    In the past three years, I have seen 4 uncontrolled horse runaways.

Seems it's inevitable tragic will strike.

• Heart 1

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Surprised hayrides on state highways is even legal these days.

Would you be surprised to know .     Children can be transported on State highways in a vehicle with no seat belts, child seats, or air bags?

AMC RULES
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Would you be surprised to know .     Children can be transported on State highways in a vehicle with no seat belts, child seats, or air bags?

Would think it's a crime and someone should be liable.

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Would think it's a crime and someone should be liable.

Everyday occurrence here Craig.

See the source image

AMC RULES

Appears to me to be something completely different.

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Was it an Amish family Lynn?    I know they swim there at the public boat launch.

I don’t know yet if it was Amish but the steel wheels, number of children and location sure points that way.

• Like 1

roadapples
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

I don’t know yet if it was Amish but the steel wheels, number of children and location sure points that way.

I don't even know how I did this. I was on another post...:scratchead:

Edited by roadapples

squonk

Tractors on roads can be bad news. They fly by my house towing a manure spreader or gravity wagon. Doing more than 30 mph with usually someone who looks younger than 16 driving it. There is a tight corner about 50 yards past the house. so far, knock on wood, there have been no accidents yet.

About 10 years ago, I was heading to the drugstore traveling about 35 in the left lane on the double lane between towns. A few hundred yards ahead was an Amish buggy in the right lane. I slowed up some and good thing I did. When I got about 50 feet from the buggy it turned left across both lanes in front of me and headed across the opposite lanes to a grocery store. I had to dive into the right lane to miss them. Woman driving with like 8 kids in the buggy

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

squonk
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Looks like they were trying to stay on the shoulder and got too close to the edge.

• Like 1

squonk

I worked with a guy who drove like a maniac. One day he was going camping after work so on his way to work in the morning he was towing his Coleman pop up camper with his Chevy Beretta doing about 65 on a country rd. There was a tractor ahead towing a disc. He moved to the left lane to pass and the tractor turned in front of him. Nobody got hurt but the tractor and car were totaled and the camper ended up in a tree.

• Sad 1

Stormin

To be honest, looking at that trailer, I wouldn't even think of carrying an adult never mind several children on it. Gross incompetence and stupidity. 

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Driving to my summer place in Delaware, I use route 272 that is through Amish farm country in southern York and Lancaster counties.      

I routinely encounter many SMVs and am keenly aware of them and drive with one foot on the brake as I crest every hill or round a turn.

One day a young lad (probably 10yo)  entered the 2 lane road driving a 6 wide mule hitch pulling 3 empty tobacco wagons.   I was able to get off the road far enough to let him pass.

On Sundays, it is normal to pass 30 buggies on their way to a church meeting.Image result for amish buggy gathering pics

I am actually surprised there are not more  accidents involving these SMVs.

• Heart 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I am actually surprised there are not more  accidents involving these SMVs.

@Ed Kennell, if you drive west from my place you will top a steep hill and see a dirt road to the right.  Amish live back that dirt road and often go past my house.  I just cringe when some idiot blasts past my house just minutes after a buggy.  Most of the traffic travels 60+ despite a 45 mph speed limit.  The sight distance as you top that hill is a couple of car lengths.  Sooner or later...........................

• Sad 2

bc.gold

My best guess, operator at fault.

Massey Ferguson 65, There is no engine breaking in low multi because of the ratchet clutch. When you move the transmission to high multi it locks up the hydraulic clutch and the hydraulic clutch gear drives another gear. Because the drive is now turning faster than through the low-multi ratchet clutch, this now becomes a free-wheeling device

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Excellent 1