Ed Kennell

2022 Deer Tails

WHX??
On 11/18/2022 at 4:51 AM, Pullstart said:

This is what I sent Uncle Jim.  not the best service here… 

Worse here vids will have to wait. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:15 AM, Darb1964 said:

the venison is what I'm after. 

I hear ya Darbs not that I would thumb my nose at a bruiser.

Cindy got a nice little 6 this AM. 

20221120_074749.jpg

I gutted it out where we can see the pile from the cabin and by the time we got it hung ther were crows & 3 eagles snacking on it. I threw a trail cam on it so might be some pics. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

WHX??
On 11/19/2022 at 5:42 AM, Pullstart said:

I’ve got my deer head prepped for travel, not being able to transport the brain over state lines.

Never thought of that... did you have to cape it out there? Guessing your going to do an Uncle Ed's mount? 

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Guessing your going to do an Uncle Ed's mount? 

Should I enroll him in the Edog Home School of Taxidermy Jim?     On second thought, that would require using sharp knives, scalpels, and large needles.

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Never thought of that... did you have to cape it out there? Guessing your going to do an Uncle Ed's mount? 

I just bury my heads out back for a year, then wash ‘em off and toss ‘em on the shelf.

8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Should I enroll him in the Edog Home School of Taxidermy Jim?     On second thought, that would require using sharp knives, scalpels, and large needles.

I’m a whole deer in and haven’t drawn any blood yet.  Oh no I jinxed myself!  I grabbed 20 lbs of pork butt to grind up with the doe.  I’m fighting with myself to go out and cut it up now, or go take a nap :lol:  There are a bunch of guys in another building here on the property and one guy from VA said if he gets a buck he wants the backstraps and I can have the rest.  Woo hoo!  I love free meat!

Today, Swamp Man Ronnie got his 7’ gator out.  We injected it with Tony Chatcherie’s Garlic and Herb, piled 5 lbs of bacon on it and stuffed it on the Traeger for dinner!  Yum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Pics of that gator!

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Pics of that gator!

I mentioned it in the recipes thread, but since you asked…

38DD6E11-0DDD-4AE4-8F30-20B873EAA8DF.jpeg.113ffc08a502c1fdcf3551248c6cedb3.jpeg

Also, these are two deer that Mark Pierce, who leases/owns the farms, shot last year.  I believe they were both with a crossbow.  The 10 point scored 181” and the 8 point scored 160”.  So massive!

87834588-B66E-439E-9F9B-ECDA39091214.jpeg

6355F726-7EBE-4850-9A45-AB8DAC9CADB5.jpeg

D80B6BD4-99A6-4589-900B-D26B947713FD.jpeg

• Like 6

WHGuy413

Went out yesterday afternoon. The wind was blowing pretty steady. Didn’t see anything but when it stopped blowing for a few minutes I had a buck grunt out in front of me in the hemlocks. Heard it twice but never saw the deer. So still another boy kicking around my stand. Still archery for another week here in Mass. I work only a day and a half this week and plan on hunting every day after that starting on Tuesday afternoon. The orange army hits the woods next Monday. Hoping like years in the past my section of woods stays quiet and doesn’t see much pressure. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Last day of hunting with guns tomorrow in MO.  Mark is letting me hunt for doe in the morning, one more time!  He just wants a backstrap this time.  I better get him some!  Yum.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I got another doe to clean!  I love this place!  Last night Ronnie invited us to come hunt gators with him for a day!  

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

• Like 2

Pullstart

Waiting for my ride…

CEC9EB7C-FFA9-47A6-9649-2CC5ACFE3672.jpeg

• Heart 2

Pullstart

This is a pretty sweet “buck pole” with two electric winches.  

3285D42E-520C-4E5D-B71A-71A097C60395.jpeg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

This is a pretty sweet “buck pole” with two electric winches.  

3285D42E-520C-4E5D-B71A-71A097C60395.jpeg

Uhm... :eusa-think:

That ain't a buck... :ychain:

Mrs. P gonna need to have "the chat" with you... :teasing-wedgie:

• Haha 3

Darb1964
On 11/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, WHX?? said:

Worse here vids will have to wait. 

I hear ya Darbs not that I would thumb my nose at a bruiser.

Cindy got a nice little 6 this AM. 

20221120_074749.jpg

I gutted it out where we can see the pile from the cabin and by the time we got it hung ther were crows & 3 eagles snacking on it. I threw a trail cam on it so might be some pics. 

I'd take that one any day of the season, congratulations!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Uhm... :eusa-think:

That ain't a buck... :ychain:

Mrs. P gonna need to have "the chat" with you... :teasing-wedgie:

yeah, yeah… but my buck is already in the freezer!  Speaking of freezer, I got my groceries done for the month or three!  There’s a handful of guys here hoping to catch a keeper on their last day… but only want the rack and the backstraps.  If so, I’ll be doing more work tonight!

B86BDBA0-B554-4B52-BA8D-96D1DB9686D0.jpeg

20E27C09-3F56-4B2F-86AF-891DEDC1EEC8.jpeg

• Heart 1

Ed Kennell

Looks like you ground some pok fat in the burger.        I never added any fat to my loose groung meat, but I started grinding one lb of  frozen bacon in  with every  five lbs of meat.

It makes tasty burgers that pat well and grill up nice. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Ronnie invited us to come hunt gators with him for a day!  

You need to move south ... be with the rest of the hillbillies & rednecks! :lol: Worst part is it may suit a certain  one of my girls too! 

Looks like pockets in there Ed dog but I like the bacon thing... :handgestures-thumbupleft: may have to try that. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
21 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

be with the rest of the hillbillies & rednecks!

Hey now, I take expectorant to that.

See the source image

• Haha 3

Pullstart

The picture do show some air pockets, but one deer I got some pork butt and ground it all up with it.  Then we smoked the rest last night for dinner and I had no more pig to toss in today :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Must be one heck of lodge where he has a grinder and all that stuff to let you grind it all right away? 

I might remember wrong but one fella I used to help butcher had us putting lard with it??

Can you taste the bacon in it Ed? Imagine it would be great for bacon cheese burgers or meat loaf. Gonna try it fer sure now. 

I never put anything with it but used olive oil when browning for a dish like lasagna or spaghetti meat sauce. 

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Must be one heck of lodge where he has a grinder and all that stuff to let you grind it all right away? 

I might remember wrong but one fella I used to help butcher had us putting lard with it??

Can you taste the bacon in it Ed? Imagine it would be great for bacon cheese burgers or meat loaf. Gonna try it fer sure now. 

I never put anything with it but used olive oil when browning for a dish like lasagna or spaghetti meat sauce. 

I brought the grinder, vacuum packer, etc.  hoping to process our 5 big ole’ bucks!  I’m the only one who shot anything.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Can you taste the bacon in it Ed?

I never added anything to my ground venison for years.   We never liked it for burgers and just used it for sauces, lasagna, etc.     Then a couple years back I ground in the bacon and pressed out some burgers.    The 1/5 ratio isn't too strong, but it gives it a nice smokey flavor and they grill nice.    I usually buy the bacon and freeze it till I'm ready to make the burgers.

It grinds better when frozen so I just chop a pound of frozen bacon into ~ 1" pieces with a clever and grind it in with the 5 lb of meat.   I am careful to remove all fat and silver skin from all the venison I process.    All the tough (lower leg) and fatty (rib meat) goes to the butcher that makes my bologna.   He also cures a couple back legs for chipped beef gravy.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’ll have to update the weight, but we more than filled a large cooler.  65 packages, and I’m guessing an average of 2.5 lbs per package.  Good haul!

• Like 1

WHGuy413
On 11/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Looks like you ground some pok fat in the burger.        I never added any fat to my loose groung meat, but I started grinding one lb of  frozen bacon in  with every  five lbs of meat.

It makes tasty burgers that pat well and grill up nice. 

I did the pork fat one year and didn’t like the flavor of the burgers. When I got to be buddies with the guy who helps me cut deer now he said to get the bacon ends from our local smoke house. That was a game changer. 

• Like 3

WHGuy413
On 11/22/2022 at 4:50 PM, Pullstart said:

There’s a handful of guys here hoping to catch a keeper on their last day… but only want the rack and the backstraps.  If so, I’ll be doing more work tonight!

See I was brought up different. Hunting for racks isn’t important to me. I’m a meat hunter and if I shoot a deer every available piece of meat is getting cut up and used. Unfortunately there are way to many people that just hunt for the antlers and take the back straps and leave the rest for waste. I blame it on those hunting shows

where they only shoot the monsters to hang on the wall. Hope you are able to get that meat if they do connect on something there.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2