tim57chevy

520H Auto Trans Oil change help

tim57chevy

Hello.  I just drained the oil out of my 1988 520H with the hydrostatic transmission.  Upon trying to put oil back in I came upon a problem.  Only a small amount of oil went in then it stopped and now it just overflows if I try to put any more in.  The owners manual just says "After adding 4 quarts of oil..."  Well I never got 2 quarts into it.  What am I doing wrong?  Any little trick I need to know?

On my older C120 it says to remove one of the top bolts but if I try that on my 520H it just leaks all the oil out the bolt hole.

WHX??

Put a straw down next to funnel to burp air. If you changed the filter loosen it a couple turns that helps also. Don't forget to tighten after.

Odd that it comes out the bolt hole. 

Sounds like you maybe trying to over fill it. Oil should never reach the level of that bolt. 

• Like 1

tim57chevy

That's what i thought.  I drained a little then started the tractor and ran a little fwd and rwd. then checked again.  It looks a little low now so I will slowly top up.  I guess the OM should say put in 3 qts. then start checking.  I discovered I had already put in 3 to 4 Qts based on what was left in the jug.  I think I have it now.  Whew.

• Like 1