JoeM

What turns you on?

JoeM

with tractors.

On

I like seeing all the parts are there and mostly original.

Off

When someone spray paints the rims and gets it on the tires. Extreme turn off!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

Red

• Like 2

ri702bill

On - original patina. Creative use of original WH parts repurposed to become something else (like the 2 wheel motorcycle).

Off - backyard shortcut hacked up "fixes" done by well meaning morons...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 4

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

When someone spray paints the rims and gets it on the tires. Extreme turn off!

So true... why would someone take the time to 'improve' the looks and then not mask off the tire?

OFF- painting over rust with absolutely ZERO prep work.

• Like 6

oliver2-44

On - Original that RUNS, with all its parts

On - Full nut and bolt restore with shiny paint.

Off -  Rattle can paint job on tires, over rust, over dash, over decals...you get the picture

Off -  Left to rust away in a field and not for sale

• Like 6

EB-80/8inPA

On:  A well restored tractor shiny like new and original.  Also like a nice honest original in good shape.

I also love the way a K181 purrs while sipping the gas.

Off:  Those tractors up for sale that someone just “refinished,” sitting in the overspray (usually all over the garage floor), no prep, no masking (stickers and tires half covered with paint).  Especially when you get the sense the original finish may have been nicely aged or not that bad from the parts they missed.  I’ve also grown to not be that fond of powder coating. More on that later perhaps …

• Like 3

wallfish
1 hour ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Especially when you get the sense the original finish may have been nicely aged or not that bad from the parts they missed

@Sparky Mike posted up a nice original paint tractor he was going to pick up. Unfortunately the guy "Spruced it up a little" for him before picking it up. LoL  Basically a blindfolded behind the back rattle can job to make some of the surfaces look shiney! Can't find the thread.

ON: Original patina tractors.

OFF: Horribly painted things just like everyone else is posting about. Also don't like the painted sheet metal only and then call it a "restored" tractor.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

JoeM

I know I am alway looking at what is for sale. It seems like there are just things you pick up in the picture that throw up a flag.

The ones where they just washed them and got the wet look makes you wonder "why did you just wash that machine?"

Or says runs good and in the background jumper cables and starting fluid. :confusion-shrug:

And my favorite "ran when parked" like when was it parked?

i know when I am going to buy a machine I always feel the engine to see if they just ran it before you show up. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
22 hours ago, wallfish said:

Oh crap! I hit both of those right on the head :lol:

It's okay Mr Fish. We still like you anyway.

On:  Mechanically sound good running hard working Wheel Horses that are working hard like they should be.

Over the years I've preferred the look of a properly restored properly painted properly reassembled piece of machinery.

Because of this bunch of :wh: aficionados I'm beginning to have a better appreciation for original patina (paint, not rust) and so is the BBT. That's actually why the Pigpen 867  tractor has not been painted yet. She hasn't made up her mind what to do with it... 

Off: Wiring harness all hacked to $4!t and more money spent doing that than what could have been done for just a few dollars, correctly.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

(paint, not rust)

oh Crap again! Mother Nature brown seems to be the dominant color around here. Some are even done intentionally. :ph34r:

• Like 2