Thegearhead0324

1257 Proud

AMC RULES

Sweet tractor!

• Like 6

Thegearhead0324

Thank you, yea its definitely come a long way. Still a work in progress. Thinkin bout going to the big show next year and takin her with me. Haven't gotten a chance to go yet. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Thank you, yea its definitely come a long way. Still a work in progress. Thinkin bout going to the big show next year and takin her with me. Haven't gotten a chance to go yet. 

Nice lookin' rig! 

Ya 'oughtta make the pilgrimage over here to Jim's place in September. 

• Like 5

dclarke

That's a nice one! 

• Like 4

oliver2-44

Nice, love the sickle bar

• Like 2

ineedanother

Very nice! The starter-generator brings back memories and I love the bug eye sprite look. Sweet!

• Like 3

Thegearhead0324

Thanks guys. The sickle bar gives it character, its fully functional. Couple winters ago I put new seals and stuff in it. Also got bored one day and made a swath board for it. 

The starter generator is cool, I added a starter solenoid to save on ignition switches. You can't even tell as its hidden and everything works as normal.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Retired Wrencher

Very nice 1257. Looks like you did a lot of work to it. I have had three only have one now.  I have to ask! Why is the air filter outside of the hood? Enjoy it.

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

@Retierd Wrencher Thank you, I have pictures of it when original shape somewhere ill have to find one. The air cleaner itself is original, but I found a gt14 elbow few years back and liked the look of the cleaner on the outside, I had my doubts but fit perfectly.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
1 minute ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

@Retierd Wrencher Thank you, I have pictures of it when original shape somewhere ill have to find one. The air cleaner itself is original, but I found a gt14 elbow few years back and liked the look of the cleaner on the outside, I had my doubts but fit perfectly.

Thanks. Kinda cool looking. Enjoy the Holiday. May mount a flag on it somewhere for the 4th.

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

Here are a couple pics from 2009 I believe the year was. My dad use to work on small engines, mower, blowers, etc. He repaired a mower for my uncles friend and my dad had his eye on this 1257 stashed in the back of his barn/shed. Instead of taking cash, he took the tractor. 

He took it all apart and worked on it whenever he had the time. He cleaned it up and sanded down all the rust and painted all the parts. Then never had a chance to put it back together or make it run.

In 2016, he moved in a building where he couldn't have anything except his car (like a retirement place.) So I got the tractor. I downloaded the manuals for it and put it back together. Then got it running, new fluids, greased up, etc. Then found a plow attachment 2 hours away from my house so bought that, was it really rough shape so I painted and restored that to match the tractor. Bought accessories like the hubcaps, stack, headlights, etc to made it nicer. Then I saw they had sickle bars, which I'm obsessed with just how they look on a tractor. I posted on here in wanted section. Gentleman named Walt messaged me who lived 3 hours away from my house, said he had one he wanted to get rid of. So for a good price I drove out and bought that. Same situation, old and rough shape. BUT, everything was there. So restored that. Was actually fun, I find things like this interesting. 

I kick myself in the butt tho, because when my dad got the tractor, he got the dump cart with it. So when he moved, I didn't have room for the WH dump cart. Plus I was younger so I really didn't care so he gave it away to someone else. So I could've had the cart too! I'll find another one someday. 

I apologize for the long post, just a little history of the ol 1257. 

0719091126.jpg

0720091656.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Thegearhead0324

1_9866.jpeg

1656762100236_0_20160526_145622.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut
8 minutes ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

I apologize for the long post, just a little history of the ol 1257.

No apology needed, that is an interesting write-up and most of us don't have a family tie with our Wheel Horses. Your Dad is probably proud of your restoration, so are we.

• Like 5

Thegearhead0324

Few other random pics of the 1257.

0_SAM_0057.JPG

1_SAM_0065.JPG

• Like 1

rjg854

Now it's time to get rid of all those snowthrowers and get one that will mount on the tractor  :teasing-poke:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thegearhead0324

@rjg854 I wish those were all mine. Those were all of the ones my dad was working on before he moved. He was always a busy beaver. But I one time did indeed buy a snowblower attachment, but was the wrong one so resold it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Awesome restoration and story!  The big show… well worth heading to!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

No apology needed, that is an interesting write-up and most of us don't have a family tie with our Wheel Horses. Your Dad is probably proud of your restoration, so are we.

Good post Richard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thegearhead0324

Looks like a dump cart followed me home today...... can't let the warden know :D

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324

Need a little help identifying it, the ID tag is gone, like what yearish. If it help any, the dude i got it from had it behind his lawn ranger.  Needs some work but its a solid piece. Maybe the front decal design helps as well..... (no I didn't buy the lawn ranger lol) I'm thinking 1962ish?....

20220705_141633.jpg

20220705_141651.jpg

20220705_142848.jpg

Edited by Thegearhead0324
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

lawn Ranger looks to be 1968

Thegearhead0324

Hmm... I also just noticed the decal actually looks the same as the one on the back of the seat pan on my 1257. Maybe you're right, late 60s?

Thegearhead0324

I'm gonna continue the dump cart saga in the "attachments" section with progress pics.