rmaynard

Majic Brand Diamond Hard Water-Borne Acrylic Enamel

rmaynard

Since I didn't get any action on this post within the paint recommendation thread, I'll just start a new one.

I have disparaged Majic paint in the past (rattle can and oil-based quarts), and I still stand by anything that I said. However, I was looking at industrial water-borne acrylic enamels today. I was looking for something that I can teach a 13 year old to apply with an HVLP sprayer. Water-borne because it's safer than oil with hardeners or acrylic urethanes with activators, and it's water clean-up. I know that the EPA will be requiring all body shops to switch over to water-borne in the near future.  

So I came across this. It's water-borne, and the safety data sheet reads pretty well. Reviews that I've seen have been mixed. Anyone have any experience with this particular paint?

881902384_Screenshot_20220629-1802022.png.d51f6e10281111f8ca7b03e37b9cd9f5.png

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

The question is " can you get a 13 year away from the video game " to teacher him how to use the sprayer ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

ri702bill
33 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The question is " can you get a 13 year away from the video game " to teacher him how to use the sprayer ?

Thumbs up and OFF the XBox....

• Haha 3

JoeM

:popcorn:

I looked at it too. Somewhat sceptical, but was the same when the water urethanes came out. They seem to work good. 

Intrigued by the 1-3 hour dry time.

Jump in there and let us know.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

rmaynard
3 hours ago, JoeM said:

I looked at it too. Somewhat sceptical, but was the same when the water urethanes came out. They seem to work good. 

Got a can today. Haven't had a chance to do anything yet. More to follow.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JimSraj

Nice to hear there are still a few kids that like to do and learn real things and skills. Give him all he can absorb to keep the interest up!

• Like 6

953 nut

I too have been curious about the water-born enamels but not to the point of taking the plunge.     :icecream:   I will be interested to see how it works out.

• Like 2

adsm08

@rmaynardThis is the exact stuff I used on the Speedex. I bought three quarts, one primer, one red, one yellow. My feelings on it are mixed.

The red I was able to pour right out of the can into the gun and spray with only stirring it up a bit for consistency. The primer was badly separated and required a lot of mixing to get it to a usable state, and I had to do this every time I used it. The yellow. The yellow was bad. The instructions for the paint say to mix it no more than 10% water to thin as needed. To get the yellow to a viscosity that would go through a gun I had to mix it nearly two parts water to one part paint. It came out of the can like frozen molasses.

I have had some issues with it coming off easily, but mostly in areas where the metal was greased and I couldn't clean it well enough because after 50-odd years the stuff was just so soaked in to the metal. I also cut through it to bare metal quickly when trying to sand out imperfections, but that may have been a film-thickness issue, which is user error, rather than an actual problem with the paint.

It does clean up easily.

While it looks good on the tractor, I don't think it will ever produce the mirror finish that I saw on some of the stuff at the big show.

I can't say how well it will hold up long term, since it hasn't been on very long, but I was using it to teach my boy to spray, and for that it is good, if you get a can that is well mixed and not too thick.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

pacer

After TSC changed to Majic I went thru some 5-6 rattle cans and one quart and that was a most awful experience! Each can different consisistency, take DAYS to dry in a variety of different reds..... I'll just stick with good ole dependable Rustoleum!

• Like 4

adsm08
19 hours ago, JoeM said:

Dry time is dependent on temp and humidity. It does dry fast. I was painting with it through most of May and early June. Most parts were dry enough to handle gently in under 30 minutes, but my hood has a few finger prints in it where I wasn't gentle enough.

In an hour it will genuinely be dry. It takes longer to fully cure.

The other thing I noticed was that if you keep a respectable distance and don't get too close it was really hard to put runs in the paint.

• Like 3

pacer

To clarify my previous post, the Majic paint I tried was NOT the water based. it was the enamels that replaced the ..... crap, I cant think of the brand it replaced, been quite a while back! Was dang good paint tho.

• Like 3

rmaynard
12 hours ago, pacer said:

To clarify my previous post, the Majic paint I tried was NOT the water based. it was the enamels that replaced the ..... crap, I cant think of the brand it replaced, been quite a while back! Was dang good paint tho.

I agree that the Majic in the spray cans is probably the worst paint I have ever used.

• Like 2

rmaynard
21 hours ago, adsm08 said:

While it looks good on the tractor, I don't think it will ever produce the mirror finish that I saw on some of the stuff at the big show.

I'm not expecting miracles, just a decent finish. Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
11 hours ago, rmaynard said:

agree that the Majic in the spray cans is probably the worst paint I have ever used.

Agreed. I bought a couple cans just to cover a few scratches on a hood once. Both were noticably different colors, but it wasn't meant to be pretty. That was about 7-8 years ago. I think it's still tacky... :blink:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

adsm08
5 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Agreed. I bought a couple cans just to cover a few scratches on a hood once. Both were noticably different colors, but it wasn't meant to be pretty. That was about 7-8 years ago. I think it's still tacky... :blink:

If it was oil based it will never really dry without a hardener.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

I have used Majic rattle cans and Rustoleum rattle cans… I‘lol stick with Rustoleum…

kpinnc
7 hours ago, adsm08 said:

If it was oil based it will never really dry without a hardener.

Guess someone failed to show me how to add hardner to a rattle can. :P

• Like 1

adsm08
8 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Guess someone failed to show me how to add hardner to a rattle can. :P

Beats me. It's why I don't use, and probably why I rarely even see, oil based in a rattle can.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Seems a lot of water has gone under the bridge since I started this thread. Never got around to trying the paint until today. And... I opened the previously unopened can that I bought back in 2022 and it was as hard as a rock. Not a good start.

More to follow 

• Sad 1

kpinnc
59 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

it was as hard as a rock. Not a good start.

Well, that's an improvement for Majic paint! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2