cschannuth

Jim Kemp Quality

Jennifer

I to bought from Jim!   Great price and great quality!  Oh and looks great too!!!  

D6ECFEC4-9313-4320-AB00-A1DFEAC5FA55.jpeg

9AAC91B3-6C5F-4C98-BBE2-E5D5A503A72A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

This is what absolute top level customer service is all about. 

@jimkemp. Nice. Thank you. 

I have a special edition of Jim's on my 1974 C160-8 Cinnamon Horse. 

Excellent build quality. 

Nice mellow low tone. 

IMG_20190301_220943116.jpg.bdf2c20ea27abec085f649df5e2e040d.jpgIMG_20190301_221008418.jpg.eaf32efc5e993c22e10a59d7345d0496.jpgIMG_20190224_180218439.jpg.c283cf368204a9a5dc6315eb21f6a76b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

rjg854

You were great with me when I had a problem trying to quiet down a loud 10hp kolher. Customer service was fantastic :occasion-xmas:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Jennifer

@Handy Don  well you asked for a video of the sound from 8 feet… I figured if you requested it maybe others wanted to hear so I posted here!  As you requested 20 seconds at idle 20 seconds at mid throttle and 20 seconds at full throttle and then back to idle hope this helps you these are really nice stacks!

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Gregor

And 2 is even better than 1 ! 

417498805_twomufflers.thumb.jpg.b45bf58505294afad217d03ae449aa8f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Handy Don
15 hours ago, Jennifer said:

hope this helps you these are really nice stacks

Definitely mellows out the harshness to a less "strident" tone. Not sure if overall its any quieter. Hmmm.

Thank you for making the video!

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

And 2 is even better than 1 ! 

How does the exhaust gas know which stack to take when leaving the engine! :)

• Like 1

Gregor
21 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

How does the exhaust gas know which stack to take when leaving the engine! :)

The stacks take turns, but you have to watch the one on the left, he gets greedy.

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

The stacks take turns, but you have to watch the one on the left, he gets greedy.

So not an "Alternate Merge" situation?

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

Hmmm. 2x is a kinda costly solution, but what's your take on the overall volume with the dual stacks? Does the longer piping have an effect?

Gregor
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Hmmm. 2x is a kinda costly solution, but what's your take on the overall volume with the dual stacks? Does the longer piping have an effect?

2 stacks or 1, didn't make a noticeable difference on the 7hp Tecky.

• Like 1

Handy Don

I have the K181, same as @Jennifer, and still hoping to take it down by at least 5db or more when running under load at 3k+ rpm.

I've taken notice of how some manufacturers have enclosed their small engines and put in sound insulation as well as using more complex mufflers--Honda is a prime example. Apparently "block ring" is almost as loud as the exhaust noise.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

I know this is off topic, so allow me to apologize now, but what does the white heart in the red ribbon at the top right corner of some posts mean ? The reason I ask is it blocks me giving an “ excellent” reaction on the post.

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Apparently "block ring" is almost as loud as the exhaust noise

I've never used a decibel meter on a Kohler engine. I have experimented with at least half a dozen different mufflers.  

Mr Kemp's special muffler I have is pretty quiet and has a nice low tone. 

The only one quieter was a fleebay find aftermarket Cub type that was a stack on an 8 HP Kohler I had.  

I found through changing multiple silencers on a K341 that the engine noise NOT related to exhaust output is louder than most folks expect. 

When trying to quiet an engine it's VERY important to make sure it's in good tune. A small increment of movement in the points gap can change the sound output dramatically.  

Another thing one can do is install a very long exhaust pipe.  Thicker is said to be better. 

I've never been a believer in seeing side shields in an AIR cooled engine.  

Installing stick on sound deadener mats to underside of the hood will have some effect but may not be as much as desired.  

• Excellent 1

cschannuth

Here’s a 7 HP Kohler on the Ranger I got from Denny and a before and after on the 6.5 HP hemi in the rat tractor. 

Edited by cschannuth
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I know this is off topic, so allow me to apologize now, but what does the white heart in the red ribbon at the top right corner of some posts mean ? The reason I ask is it blocks me giving an “ excellent” reaction on the post.

It means that post got a lot of reactions. I don't understand why additional reactions might be blocked.

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've never used a decibel meter on a Kohler engine. I have experimented with at least half a dozen different mufflers.  

Mr Kemp's special muffler I have is pretty quiet and has a nice low tone. 

The only one quieter was a fleebay find aftermarket Cub type that was a stack on an 8 HP Kohler I had.  

I found through changing multiple silencers on a K341 that the engine noise NOT related to exhaust output is louder than most folks expect. 

When trying to quiet an engine it's VERY important to make sure it's in good tune. A small increment of movement in the points gap can change the sound output dramatically.  

Another thing one can do is install a very long exhaust pipe.  Thicker is said to be better. 

I've never been a believer in seeing side shields in an AIR cooled engine.  

Installing stick on sound deadener mats to underside of the hood will have some effect but may not be as much as desired.  

I'm gonna pull out the decibel meter when I next have the K181 running and do some measurements.

I agree on the tone change with the Kemp into a less offensive range of frequencies and that may be enough.

The Cub mufflers (and similar) are readily available but can be large and challenging to mount. The "upward stack" is not the look I'm interested in and the underside is reserved for implements!

Yep, lots of vibrating metal in an engine and the attached tractor sending sound waves all over!

A timing light is on my "wish list" now, with the K181 is as well-tuned as I can get it by setting the gap. (I had one years ago but donated it to a church tag sale once I sold my last points-using car!)

Air cooled engines need careful attention to airflow for sure, but it is possible (sometimes with an electric auxiliary fan a la some D160s and D200s) to properly cool them. (Heck, with a big enough fan I could generate some down force for high speed cornering, right?)

Sound mats sound intriguing :). I might experiment with layering some heavy damp rags atop the hood first while I have the decibel meter out.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
38 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

It means that post got a lot of reactions. I don't understand why additional reactions might be blocked.

@Handy Don… all reactions aren’t blocked… just the top one covered by the ribbon… thanks for the answer… all good !

• Like 1

Blasterdad

I got these 2 beauties in the mail today! :banana-dance:

I'm going to have 2 very happy C-160's.

Happy owner too! Thanks Jim! 

IMG_0227.JPG.b74eb8d7cbee04b965c047edd4bc8087.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Miles

Hello Jim, I want to purchase one of your mufflers for my 12 hp wheel horse. I'm ready to purchase. Please send me the information I will need for payment

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
20 minutes ago, Miles said:

Hello Jim, I want to purchase one of your mufflers for my 12 hp wheel horse. I'm ready to purchase. Please send me the information I will need for payment

@jimkemp

• Like 1