JoeM

New Tool

elcamino/wheelhorse

Nice , that is a heavy sucker . Two men and a boy to lift it.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Interesting piece. 

Any particular plans for it? 

• Like 1

ri702bill

Say it like a Kennedy - Abah !!

Seroiusly a 5 ton press is only limited by what is is bolted to and the physical willingness of the person working the handle.I have used many of these over the years - is there a hole at the bottom of the ram to insert tools??

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Any particular plans for it?

Got a spot on the heavy bench picked out. I can press in races, and might get a broach set. 

I think it just looks cool! :dance:

Plus it weighs more than me!

1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

is there a hole at the bottom of the ram to insert tools?

IDK have to check eye!

• Like 4

tunahead72

@JoeM  I know absolutely nothing about arbor presses, but Royersford Foundry & Machine is still in business, located now in Phoenixville PA, less than 2 miles from my house.  I'm sure you can get all the information you want from their website, but if there's anything I can do to help you get parts, let me know.  I head out your way several times during the year, out the turnpike and down I-81, we can meet somewhere halfway if you want.

• Excellent 3

adsm08
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Say it like a Kennedy - Abah !!

Seroiusly a 5 ton press is only limited by what is is bolted to and the physical willingness of the person working the handle.I have used many of these over the years - is there a hole at the bottom of the ram to insert tools??

I've had a wheel bearing or two withstand the full wrath of a 12 ton. That's why I have a 20T.

• Like 2

JoeM
4 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

if there's anything I can do to help you get parts, let me know.  I head out your way several times during the year, out the turnpike and down I-81, we can meet somewhere halfway if you want

Awesome! Thanks :handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1

ri702bill
6 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Found this in catalog 75B

The simple ratchet allows you to set the height of the ram with the handwheel and the lever handle stays stationary. Note the the handle is both smaller in diameter and somewhat shorter than the standard model that has the thumbscrew to allow you to adjust the lever length. This is to protect the ratchet mechanism - do not use a cheater bar or pipe to extend the handle. I see that the handle is bent where it goes into the casting - a little late for my advise...

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

I see that the handle is bent where it goes into the casting

I thought the same but it is bent the same on both ends. One troubling point and I am not sure it was hurt but the top of the square ram looks like it was hit with a hammer. 

No doubt it was abused a bit. 

image.png.f0c2e3bb71f3b7e1312049b4e9558bd8.png

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1

ri702bill

That would have been from the efforts of a mis-guided Tag Team!! It always amazes me when someone will NOT learn the limitations of a good tool and do something out of a 3 Stooges Short movie to "improve " the capability...I have no kindness or use for such folks...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1