Jrain

Pulled another one out of the scrap pile

OutdoorEnvy

Good job on the save!  That'll be nice and the twin briggs I bet does just fine! 

• Like 2

kpinnc

That Briggs looks an awful lot like a Generac engine. I'm not at all sure but was told the early Generac engines were designed by Briggs.

Anyway- nice job saving another one! :thumbs:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Excellent save!

8 hours ago, Jrain said:

brake pawl

If that's one of the early hoop style. Not the ones with the teeth. I've got one here. I'd let it go for a great price. PM me if interested.

I've not done it myself but I've read that there are adapters available to make tapered shaft to straight shaft.

One thing I'd like to bring to your attention is that having a high horsepower engine on an automatic is not super productive. You may want to consider saving that engine for a manual transmission tractor and put something lower horsepower in there.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 2

Jrain
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

That Briggs looks an awful lot like a Generac engine. I'm not at all sure but was told the early Generac engines were designed by Briggs.

Anyway- nice job saving another one! :thumbs:

Hey you know what , you are correct that is a Generac , I thought I grabbed a Briggs ,I have like 6 V twins on the shelf .they all look so similar ,my thought was to grab the shortest engine I had My bad I was not looking at labels .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

:eusa-clap: great save!

• Like 1

Jrain
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent save!

If that's one of the early hoop style. Not the ones with the teeth. I've got one here. I'd let it go for a great price. PM me if interested.

I've not done it myself but I've read that there are adapters available to make tapered shaft to straight shaft.

One thing I'd like to bring to your attention is that having a high horsepower engine on an automatic is not super productive. You may want to consider saving that engine for a manual transmission tractor and put something lower horsepower in there.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I will look in to the pawl type and if the one you have is correct I will pm you , Yes I need education on pully types and adapter hopefully I can find something , Yes I understand about the HP ,but everything I have ranges from  24 to 36 HP I even have 2  Nissan 1.2 liter engines and I am sure there on that 30 plus HP range also.  I do not come by free lower HP engines that are good often , I check all the time by my scrap friend for good lower HP engines but it always seems that is the reason they go to his scrap pile.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, Jrain said:

I will look in to the pawl type and if the one you have is correct I will pm you , Yes I need education on pully types and adapter hopefully I can find something , Yes I understand about the HP ,but everything I have ranges from  24 to 36 HP I even have 2  Nissan 1.2 liter engines and I am sure there on that 30 plus HP range also.  I do not come by free lower HP engines that are good often , I check all the time by my scrap friend for good lower HP engines but it always seems that is the reason they go to his scrap pile.

One of the resident Hydro experts may be able to answer...

From what I understand the Sundstrand transmission is limited to handling around 16 to 20 HP effectively. Beyond that there are valves that bypass. 

I don't know if the transmission is actually harmed by higher HP.  

Having excess past the 20 ((??)) HP is just not utilizing the engines potential for sure.  

But hey..... If all you have are bigger engines... Use em!

I'd love to have a 20-25 HP beast for one of my Horses.  

😃

Jrain
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

One of the resident Hydro experts may be able to answer...

From what I understand the Sundstrand transmission is limited to handling around 16 to 20 HP effectively. Beyond that there are valves that bypass. 

I don't know if the transmission is actually harmed by higher HP.  

Having excess past the 20 ((??)) HP is just not utilizing the engines potential for sure.  

But hey..... If all you have are bigger engines... Use em!

I'd love to have a 20-25 HP beast for one of my Horses.  

😃

I can get the larger HP engines all the time, the reason being is my scrape friend gets a lot of home generators from a Generac dealer witch is basically next door to him they drop a couple of them off at his place at least once a month . its seems thee electrics go bad and everyone I see never has more then a 100 hours or so on the clock ,the way I see these engine have  about 2 years of mowing time on them , if we had this conversation last week and you went to the Big show I would have brought you one to give to you , I get them for free and would give them away because its a shame to see them just hauled away to be melted down, when my friend get them he does not rally care about the engine the value is in the generator motor its self ,he in it for the copper windings in the motors that he brakes down and extracts , the engines are more of a chore for him because he not only has to drain the oil ,he has to cut them open or remove the oil pan to prove no oil is in the engine when he turns his scrape in and that is labor and time that is not worth the cost for what he gets paid for engines in general.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

@Jrain sounds like a heck-uva-deal to me! 👍🏻

These engines would be worth good money overhere (Netherlands/EU). They go for a couple hundred bucks each on our local Marketplace.

Good to have some connections :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by sjoemie himself
Added info
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Jrain said:

one to give to you

5 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

@Jrain sounds like a heck-uva-deal to me! 👍🏻

These engines would be worth good money overhere (Netherlands/EU). They go for a couple hundred bucks each on our local Marketplace.

Good to have some connections :handgestures-thumbupright:

Agreed. Kind of makes me wonder how much it would cost to ship one to me.... 

• Like 1

Oldskool

Excellent save on the tractor.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Jrain

Just curious what fuel you'll be using?

Gasoline or propane?

On 6/29/2022 at 9:37 PM, Jrain said:

I just finished up the last one 2 days ago

What was engine you used in that one?

Same V-twin setup?

Jrain
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@Jrain

Just curious what fuel you'll be using?

Gasoline or propane?

What was engine you used in that one?

Same V-twin setup?

I will be converting to Petro gas ,carb prices are about 65 to 75 dollars for this engine 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Jrain said:

I will be converting to Petro gas ,carb prices are about 65 to 75 dollars for this engine 

If you have any links I'd appreciate if you could share.  

Jrain
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If you have any links I'd appreciate if you could share.  

That is part of the reason I would go Petro , but they do make Propane tanks in smaller sizes ,perhaps you may find a smaller size and figure out your usage to accommodate your run time and have a extra small tank or to to switch over to . I just did a fast search on the cab for this engine I believe ebay had quite a few offerings . , I am not in any rush at this point to start this repower so I really have not given a lot of thought to it and might not do a repower , As of right now I still finishing the other auto 16  I got , I have it up and running and driving , Now I am doing the hydraulics , so I can get my implements hooked up , and build some new implements after that is situated.

Edited by Jrain
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Jrain said:

smaller size and figure out your usage to accommodate your run time and have a extra small tank or to to switch over to

Yessir. I'd had that thought. 

Keep at least a couple extra tanks in line and fill on the way home from work as needed.   

Another thought was to use the little green Coleman portable tanks and get a home DIY refill setup.  

One or two of those would certainly fit under the hood on the existing fuel tank shelf.