TJ5208

Exhaust Stack

TJ5208

Do you guys think this would affect the horsepower on a engine over 10 hp. I ran it on a 8 hp I didn't seem any different.

20220629_085411.jpg

• Like 3

Achto

Looks like a Farmall Cub or Allis B muffler. Both of these tractors were 4 cylinder engines. That muffler should not effect HP in any way. Even if installed on a 16hp engine.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pacer

Nope, wont hurt a thing... might even make it breathe easier.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Jrain

No notice in power will be effected , but it will have a effect on the scavenging on the 4th stroke of the engine , I guess to put it in laymen terms you may find backfiring issues on deceleration  when you throttle down your fuel and you may not be able to  correct the backfiring with your idle adjustment circuit on the carburetor  . so the back firing is caused by raw fuel not fully combusting in the engine, but combusting in the exhaust system itself causing the popping sound . Scavenging effect is part Exhaust system design .

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:             I have the same setup on the GT-14 and there is a bit of backfiring when throttling down,  I'm an old hot-rodder so I kind of like it!

852980009_102_3372(5).JPG.aa60f470c1b79e89550cd5356e433f07.JPG

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Jrain
On 7/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:             I have the same setup on the GT-14 and there is a bit of backfiring when throttling down,  I'm an old hot-rodder so I kind of like it!

852980009_102_3372(5).JPG.aa60f470c1b79e89550cd5356e433f07.JPG

Yea I think most people do not mind the decel pop , but I am not a fan of it myself and will go the extra step in getting backfire to stop , some people say it can cause issues with your valve train , I dont know if I would agree , a old trick to eliminate this is a trial and error of welding a washer to the end of a 1/4 20 bolt Hex end then drill a hole about a inch down from the tail pipe end (after muffler ) install the welded washer and bolt through the 1/4 inch hole you drilled put a nut on it tighten down , I pre make up  3 sometimes 4 set ups like this starting with a  a washer that fits on a 1/4 inch bolt then 3/8 washer and 1/2 washer , it usually ends up being one of the three that crate just enough back pressure in the muffle to get the proper scavenging effect needed to get rid of the deceleration pop  .