ebinmaine

Ariens S16H info wanted

ebinmaine

Looking at this later today. I was thinking of using it as an engine donor but it's quite a beast. 

Does not run yet. Starter is stuck "out" with a greasy dirty Bendix gear visible. Could be starter, could be something further down the line holding the engine from moving. 

Anything to look for specifically?

Are they known as decent rigs?

If it runs and drives should I use it as a whole or part it out?

IMG_20220628_163153493_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220628_163206142_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

I'm not a 'part-it-out' kinda guy because I see potential in everything :P

A quick Giggle search taught me there are plenty of attachments like tillers, snowploughs, snowaugers etc. for this machine, so apparantly they can do some real work. Even comes with a front splined shaft PTO by the looks of it.

There's a nice thread on the mytractorforum about such a machine. Giggle should take you there..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

I'm not a 'part-it-out' kinda guy because I see potential in everything :P

A quick Giggle search taught me there are plenty of attachments like tillers, snowploughs, snowaugers etc. for this machine, so apparantly they can do some real work. Even comes with a front splined shaft PTO by the looks of it.

There's a nice thread on the mytractorforum about such a machine. Giggle should take you there..

I'll check that out in a bit. Thanks.

Looks like they're a pretty heavy machine and one of my thoughts was maybe a platform for a front end loader. Possibly find a snow plow for it... 

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

platform for a front end loader.

That seems to be an option.. possibly even from factory? (Pic borrowed from interweb)

92399580_614.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

maybe a platform for a front end loader

If it has power steering....your good to go. If not you will be disappointed. Especially in your terrain.  

Ariens owns Gravely. So parts should not be a problem. 

• Like 2

sergeant
11 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

That seems to be an option.. possibly even from factory? (Pic borrowed from interweb)

92399580_614.jpg

Loaders & Backhoes for Ariens Tractors were Made By Brantly and Kwik-way & Johnson. The Factory Option shown Is the 34-inch frame Mounted Tiller. There was also a 48-inch  Cat 0 3point Mounted Tiller available as well

Basically, Sperry-New Holland sold its Lawn & Garden tractor Line  to Ariens  and that Became the Ariens Garden tractor Line. Ariens Basically updated the Tractor for a Number of Years  Until a Slight Redesign with the Grand Sierra Before they Dropped there Garden Tractor Line in 2003
Edited by sergeant
  • Like 4

gwest_ca

Kohler serial 8118218 was made in 1977

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Got it delivered yesterday evening. I set it half undercover so the seat is out of a straight falling rain at least.

I will say this tractor has a nice wide long stable feel to it.

At first glance I can see that the starter needs to be removed and cleaned as mentioned above and also, the fuel line is literally rotted off at the fuel pump. I'm pretty sure that causes a gas flow issue.

IMG_20220629_201822127.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

gas flow issue

Soo.. no Bluetooth gas module on this tractor then? :hide:

Great score. I'll be looking forward to what you're going to do to/with it. Keep us posted?

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Soo.. no Bluetooth gas module on this tractor then? :hide:

Great score. I'll be looking forward to what you're going to do to/with it. Keep us posted?

If there's a module on this one I sure couldn't find it. Although I didn't exactly engage the Bluetooth feature on my phone at the time......

Keep you posted, absolutely.

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175

For me, the question of whether or not to steal the engine off of it and part it out would be whether or not I actually NEEDED the engine for a more desirable project, and there was no other source for said engine.

That machine looks worthy of making into a runner and not parting out.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

For me, the question of whether or not to steal the engine off of it and part it out would be whether or not I actually NEEDED the engine for a more desirable project, and there was no other source for said engine.

That machine looks worthy of making into a runner and not parting out.

I agree with that.

I'm looking for another engine and it's looking like I'm not going to part this one out unless there's something more seriously wrong with it than I want to deal with in the driveline.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sergeant

They are a Great Garden tractor,  I think the Long warranty(6 years) while Great selling feature. People that Bought them didn't seem to trade up as often compared to some Other Manufacturers with the shorter 2 year Industry standard Warranty during the 1980s & 1990s The Other Nice thing about the Later Model of the GT series was the Three PTO Locations were standard when Most Manufacturers You Had to add that as an Option

The Cat 0 3 Point and Sleeve Hitch used the same Rocker shaft as well, That was another nice Feature of the Ariens Garden tractor

The One feature I  always Like about Ariens Garden tractors was You could switch Between front and Rear Hydraulic control (Lever circled In Green) and You used One Hydraulic Lever   One thing I wish Deere would Have Incorporated In their later Garden Tractors Instead of More Mechanical stops  to Hold  the 3point In Place while using front Implements  Once Deere went away from the 3 Lever Hydraulic system:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 13-25-30 Ariens S16H info wanted.png

Edited by sergeant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Got it delivered yesterday evening. I set it half undercover so the seat is out of a straight falling rain at least.

I will say this tractor has a nice wide long stable feel to it.

At first glance I can see that the starter needs to be removed and cleaned as mentioned above and also, the fuel line is literally rotted off at the fuel pump. I'm pretty sure that causes a gas flow issue.

IMG_20220629_201822127.jpg

Nice score !

• Thanks 1