Wild Bill in VA

My thoughts on the 24th Annual Wheel Horse Show

stevasaurus

Don't think too bad of us, that live west of Indiana, that were planning to go.  It was not only gas prices, but motels and restaurants that have priced us out of doing things like that.  It's been a tough few years for a lot of us.  It's getting harder to save money for trips when you are on a fixed income.  You still look great in White Bill...and the show still looks great in Red...and I am feeling Blue not being there.  :USA:

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  HELL Yeah!  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

adsm08
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Thanks too you Bill and all the staff that make this show happen every year!

I was also wondering if our current inflation/fuel prices would affect attendance…but NOPE! The place was packed! I did miss seeing a few regulars but also met a few folks that I didn’t know…so even-Steven right :lol: ! 
  I have a “You only live once” kinda view on this and I refuse to let the state of our economy ruin something I enjoy doing only once a year. I’m also not on a fixed income so there’s that. 
  My hotel was $142…fuel was right around $350 but @Docwheelhorse and I ride down together so that gets split in half, $35 at Texas Roadhouse, $10 at Apple Bin Grill (breakfast) and misc other food at the show and on the road at around $50 puts me just over $400.

I think I dropped another $400-$500 on Wheel Horse “stuff” so I’m at $800-$900 for two days of FUN! Well worth it and I’ll do it again! 

I think there were more people there this year than last.

I got to meet a lot of people that I've interacted with here, but never talked to in person this year as well.

I even, finally, got a decent yard trailer. Paint needs work, but the metal is solid, and unlike my last two dump trailers, its actual metal.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

BHunter

@Wild Bill in VA you work very hard at the show. You make it a great experience for everyone there. Your knowledge about all of the models is incredible. You seemed to be loosing your voice during the Saturday parade but you didn’t shorten up talking to each parade participant. The young kids and adults really enjoy cruising with you on Friday nights. Nobody seemed to care about how much gas they were burning up because it’s a lot of fun. 
I liked what you said about Americans working hard and spending their money to have fun. It’s true. 
I really like getting to spend a couple of days with people who share the same Wheel Horse passion that I do. 

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

stevebo

I thank Bill and all the staff that host this event to make it a success. I spoke with a few of those people this past weekend about this as well. Imo this show should not be “free”. I know the economy is tough but I feel at a minimum they should charge an entry fee for those attending. My kid races motorcross and it is $20 per head just to get in the place plus camping fee and entry fee. The big show is once per year! Now I am not suggesting making this a for profit event rather take that money and put it back into the club and make the show even better. 

I personally see no reason why everyone attending cannot pay an entry fee with a family cap. I would suggest $10-$20 per person with a $30 family max. 

rmaynard

Steve, even with no entrance fee, the club always carries a substantial surplus of money from show to show. It's worked for 24 years. I don't know what more the club could do with money from an entrance fee. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 4

dells68
2 hours ago, stevebo said:

I thank Bill and all the staff that host this event to make it a success. I spoke with a few of those people this past weekend about this as well. Imo this show should not be “free”. I know the economy is tough but I feel at a minimum they should charge an entry fee for those attending. My kid races motorcross and it is $20 per head just to get in the place plus camping fee and entry fee. The big show is once per year! Now I am not suggesting making this a for profit event rather take that money and put it back into the club and make the show even better. 

I personally see no reason why everyone attending cannot pay an entry fee with a family cap. I would suggest $10-$20 per person with a $30 family max. 

I don’t know Steve.  Our local tractor club puts on a show and we never charge admission.  We do accept donations, but make money from membership fees, shirt, hat, and sticker sales.  We always come out on top.  I think the WHCC is much the same.  They have dues that everyone displaying or selling should pay, shirt sales, raffles, etc…. When you put on a great event, people support it in other ways and you always end up to the good.  I personally support them through all the means above.  It’s a great show and I’m afraid entry fees would deter a lot of people that would otherwise be there.  On top of that, it might make it harder for some to come - $30 in gas goes a long way. Not to mention that’s $30 they wouldn’t have to spend with vendors or on shirts etc...  That’s just my $.02.  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

stevebo

Guys,

I would suggest putting it back into the club not create a bank roll. I would suggest that the club decide to what the additional funds would be used for to help improve it. I may be wrong but none of the staff gets paid for all the work they do? Paid security? Etc etc. 

Each will have an opinion on this I just find it crazy that everyone gets in free. What is $10 bucks her person? Maybe one less tie rod purchase? Lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:   :confusion-shrug:

Screenshot_20220627-151423_Chrome.jpg.c1e76e815faa86654d51b23c0aaa4691.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES

Tractorhead

In 2019 I had already prepared to visit the Big Show

with a flight ticket esta and some vacation, but than unfortunately Corona crossed my plans.
In 2020 and 2021 the dang Covid do it as well.

This year it was clear that I couldn't, because the son is getting married and that's why we're very busy.

But I already have it firmly in my plan for 2023.

with 2 Weeks Vacation at least.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart

I was talking with a couple lifer members in the campground, the club puts up about 15k for that show alone is what they told me.  I’m with @stevebo.  Even some shows have a “exhibitors are free” policy and visitors pay up.

• Like 1

Wild Bill in VA

Keep in mind the Wheel Horse Collectors Club is a Non Profit organization , by law we are only allowed to have so much money in the account. Yes the Club pays for a security guard at night , myself or the club president check in with them at night and in the morning. The treasury report is read every meeting. We try to cover the cost of the yearly show plus a little extra to cover times when the raffle prize, hat and T shirt buying attendance is not high.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

parsonsponyz

I would like to say thank you to WHCC and everybody associated with putting on the show.  It was a great time for me and my son.  We had a fantastic time together just walking around.  There was a great crowd and tons of wheel horse "stuff".  I didn't buy much but for me the time spent with my son was priceless and worth more than any tractor or part I could have found.  The only down side was didn't get to talk to everybody at this year's show.  In regard to the thoughts of admission I'm sure the committee will do what they feel is right by everybody to maintain the show for a long time to come.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Jennifer
On 6/26/2022 at 3:41 PM, Sparky said:

Thanks too you Bill and all the staff that make this show happen every year!

I was also wondering if our current inflation/fuel prices would affect attendance…but NOPE! The place was packed! I did miss seeing a few regulars but also met a few folks that I didn’t know…so even-Steven right :lol: ! 
  I have a “You only live once” kinda view on this and I refuse to let the state of our economy ruin something I enjoy doing only once a year. I’m also not on a fixed income so there’s that. 
  My hotel was $142…fuel was right around $350 but @Docwheelhorse and I ride down together so that gets split in half, $35 at Texas Roadhouse, $10 at Apple Bin Grill (breakfast) and misc other food at the show and on the road at around $50 puts me just over $400.

I think I dropped another $400-$500 on Wheel Horse “stuff” so I’m at $800-$900 for two days of FUN! Well worth it and I’ll do it again! 

Well…. I think we have you bet on the cost of around $800.00 round trip fuel, $200.00 round trip for tolls!  $80. First night Motel 2nd was double and spent $400.00 at the show on items….  But we sold old rusty to an older couple and random items… So that paid our trip!  The show is always on our daughters birthday and we celebrated it with family at the show!  You can’t put a price tag and good family fun!  I forget exact mileage but somewheres of 2000 miles plus!  “The time you spend with friends and family and the memories you make with your kids at the shows…. Priceless!”  @Wild Bill in VA my husband always remembers you and loves visiting with you!  Thanks for doing what you do at the show!!  @dells68  Emory’s and your smiles say it all!!!!  Becca’s too but missed out on her the last day…😢. It’s a family reunion that you want to attend!!!  @VinsRJ my husband was thrilled to meet and speak to you as he watches you on YouTube!!  @Pullstart great to have had a nice conversation with you!

7D2BDB1F-854E-46B9-AAF6-794BBD9A882E.jpeg

E77E6CBE-5B99-4E07-904E-D71A304455C4.jpeg

CDC9361B-03C0-4EAF-B034-56919BE81368.jpeg

FC3CE546-D90C-42D5-841C-F3E4A518B8E7.jpeg

629EA59D-513B-48D4-8069-EA5B142E093C.jpeg

Edited by Jennifer
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 4