Jwright3190

New to me 312-8

roadapples

:WRS:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

Welcome to the forum and great looking 312 you have there!   312-8 is my main user.  If you're putting it to work I would start it off right with new oil, air filter, spark plug, sharpen and balance blades, and grease the whole tractor and deck.  There's quite a few grease points but there should be a good diagram showing them if you search for it.  Especially grease the deck pulley bearings.  Best wishes with the new rig! 

• Like 4

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Lots of good folks here.  Got Wheel Horse questions?  Ask them - somebody here will come along with an answer.

Visit the manuals section of the forum and download the owners manual for your tractor.

Somebody compiled a maintenance list of things to check on a newly acquired tractor.  I think it was @ebinmaine.  I'm sure a link to that will get posted here soon.

• Like 1

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Nice set up. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Somebody compiled a maintenance list of things to check on a newly acquired tractor.  I think it was @ebinmaine.  I'm sure a link to that will get posted here soon.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

New to the herd checklist.

Click on the pic below and it'll take you there.

• Like 2

Achto

Nice looking tractor! Looks like the gang has you mostly covered. Fell free to hit us up with any questions you have or share your adventures with your new :wh:.

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:  glad you found us, this is the place for anything :wh:

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
10 hours ago, Jwright3190 said:

Just got a 312-8 with a dump trailer for free! It’s been sitting in a shed for a year and a half. I put a battery in it and it fired right up. Any suggestions on things I should do to it before I start mowing with it? Im already planning on a air filter. If anyone has the pn for it I’d really appreciate it! 

319F87BF-BE9B-4531-A7F7-01375DEC948D.jpeg

:text-welcomewave:to :rs: !!!!

Definitely look over and follow that “New to the Herd checklist”, and if you need anything else, you have found the best tractor forum in the world !

Edited by Horse Newbie

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

that checklist is a great conglomerate of all y’uss’ ideas.  If you don’t get to it before your grease job, Jack up the front end BY THE FRAME before you grease the axle and steering.  It’ll allow the grease the best opportunity to get to where it is most needed!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

all y’uss’

Now who exactly izzatt?? 

• Like 1

953 nut

This illustrated parts list should have a loot of useful information for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72

@Jwright3190  FREE?!?  Seriously nice tractor there, well done!  There's guys out your way who are going to wonder how they could have possibly missed this one.

Do yourself a favor, and find the tractor model and serial numbers (plate, maybe on the fender in front of the seat), and the engine model and spec number (probably a Kohler Magnum?), and then look around here for manuals for both.  It will save you a lot of guesswork.

And have fun with it!

• Like 1

jay bee

Im already planning on a air filter. If anyone has the pn for it I’d really appreciate it! 

Kohler # 25 883 03-S1

NAPA # 2373 Gold

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Jwright3190

Looks like I have a champion h10c plug in it now. Should I replace with the same or is there better out there?

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Jwright3190 said:

Looks like I have a champion h10c plug in it now. Should I replace with the same or is there better out there?

Same is 👍 good

• Thanks 1

Jwright3190

I want to change my taillights to leds. I popped the lens off but can’t read the numbers on the bulbs. They look like 194s to me. Am I right?