ebinmaine

New Pole Barn shop/garage/dojo building!!

lynnmor

I had a pole building put up and thought that sliding doors would be OK, the builder talked me out of it, glad he did.  I also thought that non-insulated garage doors would be OK, but they were so flimsy that the builder tore them back out and installed good insulated doors for only the difference in material cost.  I thought that electric door openers wouldn't be needed, but after a year I added them and now they are used multiple times a day.  The ability of stopping the door at various heights allows protection from rain or sun and helps prevent heat loss.

When pouring a slab, be sure to slope it towards the door several inches, I would think that snow melting from vehicles might be a significant issue.

If you could draw a simple floor plan showing the proposed uses of each area of the building, I am sure we could help you spend the maximum amount of money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175
32 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

help you spend the maximum amount of money.

@ebinmaine

OK, let's spend...

I presume that the upper gambrel roof area will be a 'loft' ?  Room to stand and work ?

How about an ELEVATOR to get tractors up there to work on ?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

pouring a slab, be sure to slope it

Good reminder. Thanks for that.  

Snow melt is most certainly a legitimate concern.  

2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

If you could draw a simple floor plan showing the proposed uses of each area of the building, I am sure we could help you spend the maximum amount of money.

That's much appreciated. Got a good quality chuckle out of the BBT.  

I do intend to make up a plan of sorts for the lower shop so I can input there.  

1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

@ebinmaine

I presume that the upper gambrel roof area will be a 'loft' ?  Room to stand and work ?

Yessir. Upper level will around 18' wide +/- by 39 long. 

Lower shop will be for welding/metal working/equipment and vehicle repairs and maintenance. 

Anything greasy/gas/oily. 

Upstairs majority of the area will be Martial Arts Dojo. Other workout area as well. 

The rest will be wood working and dry non greasy shop/craft area.  

Likely some storage along both long walls between and behind the trusses. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

We spent all day last Saturday moving the 2 portable garages and their contents. 

I was hoping to get the larger of the two done. 

We did both. 

What a busy day. 

That's what ya get when 3 people combine forces and just keep pluggin away at it. 

The new temporary home in front of the house. 

IMG_20220618_142819651_HDR.jpg.7ed59e13e8160c2c68a2eb4c5e06c3ac.jpg

The old location which is where the new building will be. 

IMG_20220618_140711280_HDR.jpg.966c90951d3d81509bf7f08d7fbe5b51.jpg

The herd resting 

IMG_20220618_114913789_HDR.jpg.af9f1f1e3b3e73864ef37031569a5101.jpg

How to enjoy a good day's work. 

IMG_20220618_175231943_HDR.jpg.61a8889886ca3e33954471734e2479e6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

kwalshy

If you're going with a metal roof, then you'll want to think about how to control the condensation on that roof, especially since you mentioned you'll have 2 wood stoves.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, kwalshy said:

If you're going with a metal roof, then you'll want to think about how to control the condensation on that roof, especially since you mentioned you'll have 2 wood stoves.

The roof will be ventilated and insulated at some point before the stoves are installed and used. Won't be this winter.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

ventilated

Would it make sense to have the ridge vent installed while the building is going up?

And, why not look into using a pre-insulated metal roof panel product?  I bet it would be cheaper in the long run...

image.png.b48681f112be0ab95abc1315c0a7fba7.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Would it make sense to have the ridge vent installed while the building is going up?

And, why not look into using a pre-insulated metal roof panel product?  I bet it would be cheaper in the long run...

image.png.b48681f112be0ab95abc1315c0a7fba7.png

Ridge vents will likely be part of the metal roof package. So that's fine.

Insulated metal roof.... 

Not likely due to cost constraints.

We're building a shell because it's less expensive.

"Long run"  is DEFINITELY an important consideration but many things are not financially viable in the short term... 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ridge vents will likely be part of the metal roof package. So that's fine.

Insulated metal roof.... 

Not likely due to cost constraints.

We're building a shell because it's less expensive.

"Long run"  is DEFINITELY an important consideration but many things are not financially viable in the short term... 

I just got quotes back for my little workshop and had asked for insulated tin as an option. It was twice the price of normal tin - ouch. 

At least you can insulate sections afterwards as cash becomes available - not as easy, but more financially achievable.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

I just got quotes back for my little workshop and had asked for insulated tin as an option. It was twice the price of normal tin - ouch. 

At least you can insulate sections afterwards as cash becomes available - not as easy, but more financially achievable.

I don't even have option of getting insulated 10 metal roofing in this area right now.

Your price is about what we were told for the least expensive insulation type which would be just basically 4x8 boards of Styrofoam.  

Level of difficulty won't really be all that bad because the Attic floor is well supported and the ceiling will be wide open to that.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Rob J.
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't even have option of getting insulated 10 metal roofing in this area right now.

Your price is about what we were told for the least expensive insulation type which would be just basically 4x8 boards of Styrofoam.  

Level of difficulty won't really be all that bad because the Attic floor is well supported and the ceiling will be wide open to that.  

Stuff that ceiling full. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, kwalshy said:

how to control the condensation

I meant to say thanks earlier today for bringing that up. I put it on the list to talk to the builder about.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Insulated

Spray on closed cell foam?

• Like 4

ebinmaine
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

According to some of the things I've been reading and people I've talked to that would be a preferred method.

If the DIY Queen BBT wanted to get that done you can bet we would own the sprayer right quick. 

😃

Definitely a possibility.... 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
On 6/21/2022 at 6:03 PM, ebinmaine said:

According to some of the things I've been reading and people I've talked to that would be a preferred method.

If the DIY Queen BBT wanted to get that done you can bet we would own the sprayer right quick. 

😃

Definitely a possibility.... 

I've thought about it numerous times over the years myself.  The DIY setups are not terribly cost prohibitive compared to what a contractor would charge.  I'd really like to do the attic floor here... take up the batts that are there (not enough) and two inches of spray foam, and put the batts back down on top of that.  Lots of benefits to that approach...

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3

Lee1977

Those two three ft. walk in doors need to be in same frame if you want to get a Wheel Horse in and out with out opening the rolling door.  I hope it's just a drawing error.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 6/23/2022 at 9:38 PM, Lee1977 said:

Those two three ft. walk in doors need to be in same frame if you want to get a Wheel Horse in and out with out opening the rolling door.  I hope it's just a drawing error.

No drawing error but thanks for bringing it to my attention. 

That's an insurance company requirement. 

From the first post:

Right side. (faces house). Lower floor level will be divided in 2 at the request of the insurance company. 20' vehicle garage at the front. 20' shop space at the back. Solid fire rated wall between. 

3'-0" door going to each space.

Those doors are NOT french opening. They are two individual 3 ft wide single doors.  

They may not necessarily be exactly side by side as drawn. 

The posts will be 8' OC. The doors may be in 2 separate post sets. 

Makes no difference to us.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

The one in the work shop ought to be a double 3 ft door as I saw later that you had the building divided.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The one in the work shop ought to be a double 3 ft door as I saw later that you had the building divided.

Definitely need a wide access there.  

The rear rolling door is great with a 9'-6" rough opening but as brought up previously here in the thread... The truck could block that door when in the shop.  

The builder and I have discussed making the rear door 12' and making that section of the shop 2 ft deeper which should give just adequate clearance.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

Bigger is always better on access doors. I was thinking about your weather, If you have heat in there opening a smaller door would be better then you don't need the large opening.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Bigger is always better on access doors. I was thinking about your weather, If you have heat in there opening a smaller door would be better then you don't need the large opening.

Excellent point. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Rob J.
On 6/21/2022 at 6:02 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

For a steel shelled building is what I’d do. Then wall off the parts I need to and insulate those too. The sprayed foam will keep the sweating down. While sealing up the cracks nicely. 

• Like 3

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: my neighbor is in the process of building a pole building type garage.  He is planning on a couple inches of spray on foam insulation on the roof to help prevent condensation.   

Last year, he did a major remodel of his house.  Part of that was changing the roof line.  He did spray on foam insulation on that roof.  Something like 6" thick.  He also did blow in cellulose insulation in the walls.  Resulted in a very tight building.  It is a small two bedroom cathedral ceiling cottage.   A 100 pound propane bottle would heat the house for about 3 weeks last winter. 

• Like 4

Snoopy11

I hope you plan to go with some kind of lights... Eric... (not sure if I mentioned it to you or not before about my positive experience with solar for lights in the shop)... but it gets little dark in the shop when the sun isn't out... and when it shades over... (about 4 o'clock every day here)...

You can see our shop (same as the one you are building, just with doors in different places) in the background of these pictures (solar is present, and generator for big tools)... (I think those pictures were all before we got the green ranger)...

100_1120.JPG.4471f89942780014409ba2208f08dc03.JPG

100_1458.JPG.2a19f30ddc6e15671c96e1f89f049d00.JPG

100_0978.JPG.672580fb800767d136aa96dadd118581.JPG

100_0931.JPG.f7b2c17e78f00a037fb4bbc56bc626a4.JPG

Don

• Like 3

19richie66

I have happy for you guys. That building will be nice no matter how you do it. Anything to get out of the sun for me is a plus. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1