formariz

Still keeping time for the same eyes.

Jennifer

I like the story…. Quite the Momento for her years of service!!!  I bet there was quite a few times she looked up at that and wondered is it 330 yet!!!  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
10 hours ago, formariz said:

This slave clock

Forgive my ignorance, what does that mean?  Is it the drive style, or type, or ??

squonk

Nothing like an old clock. We got a couple here. I have to keep one not running because the chimes blow nORM! @Stormin out of the water when we are on Skype! :)

A good old electric clock can be handy. We had one when I worked at the hospital. We would plug it in to a circuit to confirm a chemical pump actually turned on in the middle of the night and how long it ran for example. Write down what the clock was set at and the next day the clock would show you how long it ran ect. I scarfed it when I left. :lol:

There was one salve clock left in a building that used to be a dorm for Nurses back in the 50's. Interesting contraption inside. 

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

lynnmor

I remember those slave clocks from school sometime in the Jurassic Era, the office had the master and they could never get done with playing with it.  The clocks all over the building would be going around numerous times till all were synchronized.  I hated that because clock watching was my favorite subject.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, formariz said:

My wife taught in the same school and school room for over 35 years

I can't honestly say it's in the same room..

I do know that me, my father, and his father and a bunch of relatives from the previous two generations all had the same woman for first grade. Miss Cobb. Petersham Massachusetts.

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

Jeff-C175

This one hung in the train station in Long Branch, NJ for the longest time.  It's unknown how it came to be in possession of the Treasurer's Grandfather... Still keeps perfect time, it's at the foot of the stairs.  (of course, the Guardian Angel is a much more recent addition!)

image.png.5e76f581affd364cbd227fff1ab104a0.png

This one hung at my Grandfather's home until his passing... displayed with some of his other belongings.  It too still keeps time but we don't keep it wound up.

image.png.d9bf055b7a1ae4d4e1ae3a3c6c8b223e.png

Then, there's this one.  Yesterday I was going  through some boxes that have been untouched for decades that were left when the in-laws fled to Florida.

I found this cuckoo clock in one of the boxes, in it's original box.  All the parts were there.  The box had my MILs handwritten name and address on it.

The newspapers the clock was padded with were from December 1955.

Coincidentally, yesterday was the 20 year anniversary of her passing.  She must have led me to that box!

Cleaned and oiled the movement and it's now hanging in the Dining Room keeping perfect time.

image.png.ba491f7a2575f251b8ac80120887230a.png

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 3

formariz

@Jeff-C175

What is photo inside Regulator’s case? Is that a bulb or tube inside also?

• Like 1

formariz
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can't honestly say it's in the same room..

I do know that me, my father, and his father and a bunch of relatives from the previous two generations all had the same woman for first grade. Miss Cobb. Petersham Massachusetts.

That school and room was my wife’s first and only job. Something that no longer happens today. We go to that area for dinner usually on Fridays. It is impressive and moving the number of people that constantly flock to her many she no longer remembers. Several times even  police officers stopped their cars and came to hug her. Other times people see her sitting in the restaurant through the large glass front and come in to the table. It is nice to have made a difference in peoples lives. 

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 6

Jeff-C175
13 minutes ago, formariz said:

@Jeff-C175

What is photo inside Regulator’s case? Is that a bulb or tube inside also?

The photo is a clipping from "American Collector" magazine.  It's a reprint of an original advertisement.  The clock was priced at $3.50 in 1904 !  $3.98 if you wanted the wire 'gong' option, and add another 20 cents for calendar on the dial.

Yes, the bulb is an "Edison Mazda" bulb from Lord only knows when.  It was installed in one of his reading lamps.  I put it in the ceramic base for display and safe keeping.  Unfortunately, the filament is not intact.  I think this bulb is from the 40s, very possibly much older.

image.png.34980aedaea34f9bde85ddfef7a58ad9.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz
45 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I found this cuckoo clock in one of the boxes

Are the weights on that one pine cones or acorns?

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

cuckoo clock

Our first trip to Germany, we bought a cuckoo clock for our kitchen, just like my grandparents had when I was a little one.  It seems like it was somewhere around 4 or 500 Euros.  We pulled the acorns every night around dinner time and it would cuckoo all day long.  I was so proud of it!  During our move, and our some day hopefully but seemingly never ending remodel, it was stored in the basement.  Well, 2019 our basement flooded (it was Saturday of the Big Show) and our dirt bag insurance company denied the claim.  It sat under water long enough to delaminate and rust bad enough that it was rendered useless.  

• Sad 6

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, formariz said:

Are the weights on that one pine cones or acorns?

Pine cones.  It's a "Heco model 1120" ... certainly not a high end one but rather one of the mass produced post-war models. In running condition these seem to be selling for around $100 today.  Probably about what they sold for in 1950 dollars.

It may in fact date to before they divided into East and West (1949?) because it's not labeled as WEST Germany as some I've seen on the web, but rather simply GERMANY.  But I don't know if that really means anything, just guessing!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

8ntruck
3 hours ago, formariz said:

That school and room was my wife’s first and only job. Something that no longer happens today. We go to that area for dinner usually on Fridays. It is impressive and moving the number of people that constantly flock to her many she no longer remembers. Several times even  police officers stopped their cars and came to hug her. Other times people see her sitting in the restaurant through the large glass front and come in to the table. It is nice to have made a difference in peoples lives. 

One of the guys I was on the swim team in high school went on to become a police officer.  One day, I was in the next town over and suddenly saw flashing lights in my mirror.  So, I pull over, wondering what the heck I did, and up walks my old swim team buddy in his sheriff department uniform to say hi.

• Haha 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

One of the guys I was on the swim team in high school went on to become a police officer.  One day, I was in the next town over and suddenly saw flashing lights in my mirror.  So, I pull over, wondering what the heck I did, and up walks my old swim team buddy in his sheriff department uniform to say hi.

I had a young village PO in uniform walk up to me and address me by name. Startled, and wondering what was up, I didn't at first recognize the grown up teenager who'd been a member of our youth group (many) years before. He wanted to thank me.

• Heart 3

953 nut

My mother thought third grade in the same school for twenty eight years, She had a few second generation students but the principal would usually try to avoid having that happen. She too would have adults she had had as students strike up spontaneous conversations and have to ask their name. She hadn't changed nearly as much as her former students. About fifteen years after Mom retired she was called for jury duty. As each potential juror was being interviewed by the defense and prosecution attorneys the judge interrupted the proceedings and asked Mom to approach the bench, you guessed it, the judge had been one of her third grade students. 

• Heart 5

Jeff-C175
On 6/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

The clock was priced at $3.50 in 1904 !

Out of curiosity I just looked at $3.50 / 1904 value today and it's about $115.00

There is NO WAY that this clock could have been sold that cheaply in 1904 !  There is NO WAY that this clock could be made to sell for $115.00 today.

formariz
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Out of curiosity I just looked at $3.50 / 1904 value today and it's about $115.00

There is NO WAY that this clock could have been sold that cheaply in 1904 !  There is NO WAY that this clock could be made to sell for $115.00 today.

Today if made here you could safely multiply that by 10. But of course it would not sell. People rather look at their phones or iwatches. 
 Most today will never get the unmistakable accurate sense of time one gets by looking at an analogue clock. There is a visual sense of where one is exactly in the day that it is impossible to feel looking at a digital clock. That along with the pleasure of winding them is another loss for current and future generations.

• Like 1

Stormin

With a digital clock your days are numbered. :P 

• Haha 3

Beap52

I made this clock while we were missionaries in the Philippines.  The wood is narra.  It's illegal to harvest new narra trees so one of the missionaries would buy it when houses were being torn down. The mechanical works I purchased while we were home on furlough.  The face, although painted white, is etched brass with the letters and numbers painted black. I don't know how the shop was able to etch the brass but I was impressed.  The glass is beveled also done locally in the Davao, Philippines. The clock face says "Phil Pam Kris and Megan Beasley" and "Philippines 2003."    The works of the clock is Mauthe and as best I can tell was built in the 1920's.  I have actually purchased another Mauthe clockworks like mine in the event the one I am using ever fails.  How these clocksworks were mounted is specific to these models.

I also have a wall clock that was given to me.  It had been over-wound and had some shafts bent and one broken.  After trial and error I was able to straighten the shafts and I repaired the broken shaft by drilling a hole into the end then epoxy the tiny drill bit in the hole and cutting it to length. Of course I had to enlarge the hole the shaft fit it but the clock is running and keeps good time.  The case was built in Indonesia for the missionaries who gave it to me when they retired and returned to the states. The case of the wall clock was built out of the wood from the missionaries crate because the Indonesian craftsman believed that American wood was superior to local Indonesia wood.

DSC00503.JPG

DSC00504.JPG

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1