TheMooseIsLoose

516H won't start unless I jump it

TheMooseIsLoose

I am having an issue with my 1988 Wheelhorse 516H Model16OE01 with an Onan 16. If I jump the relay solenoid with a screwdriver it will start. I have replaced the ignition switch & relay solenoid. Sometimes it starts without jumping relay, all that’s left is the starter/solenoid. Am I right or is there something else to look for? Thank you for any help.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I would start with checking ALL of your ground connections. Then if jumping the starter relay makes it start every time, and starts sometimes without jumping, my guess is that it is the relay or related wiring.

• Like 2

TheMooseIsLoose

I will check wiring and grounds.

gwest_ca

Check the condition of the 9-pin connector to the engine.

953 nut

390489808_1electrical.jpg.d201be4f4775c9f7db727ac3851e2b55.jpg

• Like 1

TheMooseIsLoose

Found one wiring issue but not the subject problem. Changed solenoid relay, no help. Next need to check solenoid. 

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, TheMooseIsLoose said:

Next need to check solenoid.

Use a small jumper wire from the battery "+" to the small terminal (not grounded) on the solenoid and the solenoid should close. or at least click depending on how good the large cables are

Rob R

In the winter when I have nothing to do, I actually take the solenoids apart, clean the contact bar and points and put them back together. The bar and contact points used to be made of solid copper now they are getting thinner and cheaper and they are being built with thinly copper coated steel...... real junk. Also doesn't help to NOT have a decent battery in the machine so that the draw causes the points and bar to pit and then problems starting start.... just saying..... p.s. the best solenoids I have found and use are the automotive Ford ones (purchase at any auto parts store). just saying...... p.s. can't make the show this year you guys do it up right!!!!!!

Edited by Rob R

Lee1977
On 6/13/2022 at 2:19 PM, TheMooseIsLoose said:

I am having an issue with my 1988 Wheelhorse 516H Model16OE01 with an Onan 16. If I jump the relay solenoid with a screwdriver it will start. I have replaced the ignition switch & relay solenoid. Sometimes it starts without jumping relay, all that’s left is the starter/solenoid. Am I right or is there something else to look for? Thank you for any help.

I had to replace the seat switch on my 520 as the plastic button was so worn down that if you move on the seat it would quit running. I was having trouble starting it before I changed it. change some other things too, don't know it it affected starting.

TheMooseIsLoose

I cleaned & tested all connections, now it is working fine. Thanks for the help.

• Thanks 1