Mike C160

1977 C160 Auto... Pieces.

squonk

Best guess is 150-200 lbs. With border crossing fees you better be sitting down! 

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, squonk said:

They are heavy enough! 

I'd say that's pretty close!!

I'm putting in a guestimate of around 100-125 lbs NOT including the pump. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
42 minutes ago, squonk said:

If there's a member " Up Nort in NY " we can do a shuttle from Wisc maybe @WHX?? to @Pullstartto show( me ) to ??? (NY North border)

I don’t plan on seeing Uncle Jim in the next two weeks…. But I shipped a hydro transmission in a heavy wooden crate to CT (?) for about $150 via FedEx a year or two ago…

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Mike C160 said:

much trouble to put other members too.

Not at all be happy to. 

My back hurts about thinking how much it weighs. Easily a hundred pounds.  I can find out.

I can get it to the Pullhosen but not till after the BS when he's here for the rally of red.

Bad news is Mike I have no idea if it drives or what shape it's in.  Came off a 160 carcass that had no motor when I got it. I can look it over closer and get some pics if you wish. It's not buried too far in the parts shed.  

• Like 1

rjg854
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

It's not buried too far in the parts shed.

you mean the garden shed don't you  :teasing-neener:

• Haha 3

squonk
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

you mean the garden shed don't you  :teasing-neener:

" garden" or "She"  :lol:

• Haha 2

pfrederi
On 6/5/2022 at 9:14 PM, Mike C160 said:

Question

I have found a complete transaxle off a wheel horse Automatic 12. ( havent yet bought )

Is this the same transaxle that is in the C160?

I do see some minor differences. Right side case has a different Part #, 2 different differentials... 

Maybe someone knows if it will work for me. That would be fantastic.  

Cheers

Since you C-160 doesn't have the external brake the swap should not be hard.  You will be going from a piston to piston to maybe a hydro gear (as i said the 12 auto came with two different hydros.) but it wil bolt on and teh motion control linkages wold be the same. The hydro lift will take some tweeking as output ports are different.  Tow valve will be in a new location also. 

• Like 1

Mike C160
20 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Not at all be happy to. 

My back hurts about thinking how much it weighs. Easily a hundred pounds.  I can find out.

I can get it to the Pullhosen but not till after the BS when he's here for the rally of red.

Bad news is Mike I have no idea if it drives or what shape it's in.  Came off a 160 carcass that had no motor when I got it. I can look it over closer and get some pics if you wish. It's not buried too far in the parts shed.  

Well,

Lets do this. 

If it ever stops raining, I will pull it out and split the case. Bearings gaskets and seals i can get from Lowell. My big concern is damaged gears anywhere in that unit.

If that happens maybe i will get you to part it out. It would be cheaper to ship a few parts, rather than the whole thing. Although I would be over the moon to have a spare.  

We'll do a Radar O'Reilly and Mail an entire Jeep home from Korea ..... one part at a time. :)

Cheers

Edited by Mike C160
  • Haha 6

Mike C160
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Since you C-160 doesn't have the external brake the swap should not be hard.  You will be going from a piston to piston to maybe a hydro gear (as i said the 12 auto came with two different hydros.) but it wil bolt on and teh motion control linkages wold be the same. The hydro lift will take some tweeking as output ports are different.  Tow valve will be in a new location also. 

Thanks 

This is great info. I will get photos. This way we can see which unit it is by where the hydro lines are. 

Cheers

• Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Mike C160 said:

My big concern is damaged gears anywhere in that unit.

If that happens maybe i will get you to part it out. It would be cheaper to ship a few parts

Keep me posted on what you need. 

I have a few gears out of a 1970 Charger Hydro. Don't know if they're the same.  

• Like 1

Mike C160

Ok,

Here are some photos from the Automatic 12 transaxle. 

Anyone know which one this is? Early? Late? 

No description available.

• Like 1

953 nut

You have the later Piston to Piston Sundstrand, here is some great information on it (probably more than you need) posted by our number one Sundstrand go-to guy, @daveoman1966

• Like 2

Mike C160

This transaxle is about a 2.5 hour drive for me to pick up. Havent committed to that yet.

Is it just me? Or do i see a broken drive flange and the other flange with 2 locking bolts?

Cheers

• Like 1

oliver2-44

It sure looks like it has a broken right hub. There is a lot of black on the right axle which might indicate a bad axle seal. A bad axle seal could also indicate a worn bearing. 

There are several open ports on that pump and motor than could be letting dirt into them.  Dirt/grime is a hydros worst enemy. This would make me Leary of that unit. To me, that transaxle looks like one to buy and go through, not one to bolt right on.  Im not a hydro pro, so hopefully some others @pfrederi @daveoman1966 will comment on these items. 

Going through yours with the option of getting some parts from Whx sure seems like a good route to go. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

It sure looks like it has a broken right hub. There is a lot of black on the right axle which might indicate a bad axle seal. A bad axle seal could also indicate a worn bearing. 

There are several open ports on that pump and motor than could be letting dirt into them.  Dirt/grime is a hydros worst enemy. This would make me Leary of that unit. To me, that transaxle looks like one to buy and go through, not one to bolt right on.  Im not a hydro pro, so hopefully some others @pfrederi @daveoman1966 will comment on these items. 

Going through yours with the option of getting some parts from Whx sure seems like a good route to go. 

I'll second that. 

I'd avoid it if looking for a quick bolt-on repair. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I can't view the pictures of your potential purchase...

• Like 1

WHX??

No issues here Paul.

That passenger side hub look to be an older "star " type... :confusion-shrug:

The two set screws would be the correct one believe

I think your decision to open the one you have is the best route. We have parts so the only thing you are lacking is tools. 

• Like 1

Mike C160

A wise man once said;  ( @ebinmaine )

Being an automatic, the hubs may very well be removable without extreme effort. I was thinking of an automatic with the old red ATF, not the engine oil such as in this one. ATF is prone to seeping past the seals and is a wonderful penetrant. 

As it turns out, he was exactly correct. There was enough seal seep that one hub just slid off without any fuss whatsoever while the other side lightly tapped off. Easy peazey :)

Lets see where the rest of the day takes me. Maybe i will get it split. Next is to remove the hydro assy.  Lets hope the rain holds off. all its done here is rain.

Cheers

(yes jack stand = old air conditioner :) Its all i had that would stop the rockin' and rollin')

Edited by Mike C160
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Mike C160

Working in the driveway. Pick up tail gate bench :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

No matter how long/carefully you drained it as you disassemble it will puke oil on the ground....

• Like 2

Mike C160
20 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

No matter how long/carefully you drained it as you disassemble it will puke oil on the ground....

Yep, I put a pan under it before i split it. 

I could not get the hydro / motor off the case. All 4 bolts undone and a few gentle love taps with a knock-ometer and it did not wish to split. So I left well enough alone and left it on. Split the case while in the frame.

Failures now known. Pictures and report to follow.

• Like 2

Mike C160

Ok :: Damage report.

So i got off very lucky. The case, the diff and the mushroom gears are not damaged at all. No serious part failures.

Failures -  2 bearings.

1) Left side inner axle bearing 1533 Partial failure / full on failure in progress.

2) Right side mushroom gear needle bearing. 

image.png.e54f0929112a6adcc487c741c62ea4de.png

image.png.d6d2f629f6f3c3d37e2e0bd063547245.png

• Like 7

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Mike C160 said:

wise man once said;  ( @ebinmaine )

@WHX??

Jimbo ya see that??

:ROTF:

Oh... I got this poor Mike fella buffaloed ain't I ....

Seriously though....

Good to see you tear right into this thing and get the actual issues figured out before a serious mushrooming of catastrophic events.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine

Mike while you've got that thing apart, disassemble the differential to confirm that there are no spare parts, so to speak, in there. Shavings. Pieces of gears. Whatever.

Can anybody confirm or deny that this brake pawl is whole or broken?

Screenshot_20220611-121839-238.png.1b60841dd76bd443d61e9faaa84dca56.png

Is this actually a rock?

Screenshot_20220611-121935-610.png.7423e5810ce6744d8bd145fa33075bd3.png

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

A Haiku…

Confucius wise man

@ebinmaine claimed so

Consult Colossus 

:ychain:

• Haha 3