Mike C160

1977 C160 Auto... Pieces.

Mike C160
58 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The directions are above.  :eusa-think:

Sorry Steve, which directions are you referring to here?

Cheers

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
14 minutes ago, Mike C160 said:

I suppose these 1533 bearings are common place failures?

I have had one failure with those, mostly it are the outer axle bearings.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@squonk and @WHX?? I was thinking of an automatic with the old red ATF, not the engine oil such as in this one.  

ATF is prone to seeping past the seals and is a wonderful penetrant. 

@Mike C160

The pump can be hung from the steering wheel while the work is being done on the transmission.  Mechanics wire is your friend. 

I agree with the possibility of a 1533. 

NEVER be apprehensive about getting parts for a Wheelhorse. 

We have several great sources just in the site alone.  

I HIGHLY recommend using an old worn hub as the puller mechanism. Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA sells them specifically for that use.  

• Like 3

pfrederi
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@squonk and @WHX?? I was thinking of an automatic with the old red ATF, not the engine oil such as in this one.  

ATF is prone to seeping past the seals and is a wonderful penetrant. 

I run ATF in 6 Chargers/ Electros.  Their axle seals do not leak any more or less than other hydros or gear trannies and their hubs can be a just as much PITA to remove...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

It is possible to split the transaxle case on the tractor  with out removing the hydro pump/motor. However it isn't that hard to take the whole thing off and open it up ...makes any repairs a lot easier...

Check this manual

tranny.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mike C160
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

NEVER be apprehensive about getting parts for a Wheelhorse. 

We have several great sources just in the site alone.  

I live in Canada. Parts the pretty thin up here and I would have to bring everything in from the USA. Its an extra expense.

Cheers

• Sad 1

Mike C160

Can the outer wheel bearing be removed with a simple bearing puller and a new one re-installed  by hand with a simple bearing driver? Like without a press?

See the diagram. 

image.png.3b02542e34e824a098f1fbbbfa43e5c9.png

• Like 1

pfrederi

I drive them out from the inside with a bearing driver or appropriately sized socket

• Like 2

Mike C160
Just now, pfrederi said:

I drive them out from the inside with a bearing driver or appropriately sized socket

And re-install them by hand?

• Like 1

Mike C160
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

I should ask > Do any of the other needle bearings in that case go? Thinking about ordering what i need...

• Like 1

pfrederi
8 minutes ago, Mike C160 said:

And re-install them by hand?

yes with something like this

bearing.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

You should be able to buy all of the bearings and seals at any auto parts store...except for the #1533 ball bearing. (available from Lowell).  Lowell also has the case half gaskets. Use these PDF's to match the WH # to KOYO and SKF bearings and seals.  I'd open it up before I ordered or bought anything.  You may not have too much wrong in there, if you were able to ride it around.

• Like 2

Mike C160

Question

I have found a complete transaxle off a wheel horse Automatic 12. ( havent yet bought )

Is this the same transaxle that is in the C160?

I do see some minor differences. Right side case has a different Part #, 2 different differentials... 

Maybe someone knows if it will work for me. That would be fantastic.  

Cheers

Edited by Mike C160
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Appears there are two versions of the 12 Auto with different Hydros. I suspect they changed from a hydro gear to a piston to piston to piston.  Your C-160 should have a piston to piston unit.  Do you have an external brake band on the hydro motor of your C-160?? 

• Like 2

WHX??

I have a complete C-160 rear end I'd give ya if I had a way to get it to you. I feel bad about you shop misfortunes. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I have a complete C-160 rear end I'd give ya if I had a way to get it to you. I feel bad about you shop misfortunes. 

Can you ship Fastenal from where you are?

• Like 1

squonk

I don't think Fastenal will ship over the border and if they did there are going to be large fees involved. I shipped a tiller thru Fastenal to Canada years ago. It was a total joke. Ended up shipping to buffalo and the fellow came across and picked it up.

Not sure about every where but the Fastenals around here are worse than ever. They are fulfillment centers only now. You can't walk in and buy a box of screws or buy a drill. You have to phone/e mail your order in ahead of time and they tell you when to pick it up. I avoid them like the plague! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Fastenal will ship over the border

:text-yeahthat:Shipping nowadays is real outta hand. 

• Sad 1

stevasaurus

Fastenal would not ship a WH transmission to Toronto some years ago, for me.  The guy had to come to Detroit to pick it up.  Told me it had to do with oil, which had to be drained to ship in the states.  They probably thought I could hide contraband inside.  :eusa-think:

• Confused 1

Mike C160
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Appears there are two versions of the 12 Auto with different Hydros. I suspect they changed from a hydro gear to a piston to piston to piston.  Your C-160 should have a piston to piston unit.  Do you have an external brake band on the hydro motor of your C-160?? 

No, I did not see that exterior drum break.

• Like 1

Mike C160
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

You sir, are a good kind man. I thank you greatly for the offer itself. You've totally made my day. Kindness like this is getting lost in our society and to witness it here is nothing short of wonderful.

This is a great community. Certainly the best I have seen on the web. @WHX?? @ebinmaine @squonk and many others making thin community great and I thank you for your effort and help.

It may not be feasible to ship that transmission due to weight. Does anyone know what it weights? I might have a few tricks up my sleeve. I hate to pass up and offering on here as I know it comes from a trusted source. So I will look but maybe not be too hopeful.

Cheers and Thank you all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

squonk

They are heavy enough! Where in Canada are you exactly?

• Like 1

Mike C160
1 minute ago, squonk said:

They are heavy enough! Where in Canada are you exactly?

Near Barry's Bay Ontario - Small village called Round Lake Centre. 

Round Lake Centre - Google Maps

• Like 1

squonk

If there's a member " Up Nort in NY " we can do a shuttle from Wisc maybe @WHX?? to @Pullstartto show( me ) to ??? (NY North border)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mike C160
6 minutes ago, squonk said:

If there's a member " Up Nort in NY " we can do a shuttle from Wisc maybe @WHX?? to @Pullstartto show( me ) to ??? (NY North border)

Great Idea and thanks, But I feel this would be too much trouble to put other members too.

If we knew what it weighted, I could get a freight quote on it.

Cheers.

• Like 1