Dan.gerous

New Workshop & House tidy up

Dan.gerous
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Full one would certainly heat things up faster.   

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

For a stove Dan. How about making one from a gas bottle? Empty one of course. :D

Good idea, I actually have a French one from when we toured Europe a few years back in the motorhome. Can't get it filled here so it's just been in the way.

Fill it with water before cutting should be fine.

@Stormin number on its way, got private message half written then got sidetracked with work.

We have big emergency drills on Monday and Wednesday that are being assessed by the maritime regulatory folk - nightmare! They can be quite picky, so we have to be on our "A" game.

Dan.gerous

I have just acquired this old garage for free in Glasgow, will take it down when I get home on Friday and strip it back to its components - thats a nice start to the workshop project. If its any good I could just use it as it is, although obviously would make it look much nicer, decent overhangs, tin roof etc.

Will keep an open mind, but at the moment the plan is to strip it down to nothing as a stockpile of construction materials.

Have a couple more lined up around the country :-)

GIrls have mostly shifted house while I have been away, which is great as it frees up time for getting the new place to a standard that we can live with!

278659405_3961487153975305_2250331673746848544_n.jpg

278659728_5305608869496133_131050999027872571_n.jpg

279020064_5995749547106953_2157614279588372084_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

GIrls have mostly shifted house while I have been away

Excellent job to them!

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent job to them!

They are amazing and very independent - I suppose you have to be when your Husband/Dad disappears to sea for half the year :-)

• Like 1

Handy Don
6 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

278659728_5305608869496133_131050999027872571_n.jpg

I'm looking at those door hinges. VERY serious hardware there.

• Like 3

Dan.gerous
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I'm looking at those door hinges. VERY serious hardware there.

Thats the great thing about recycling the older stuff, you get some really good quality/robust fittings that are hard to buy these days.

Even the guttering would be expensive to buy, there wont be a lot that I don't somehow re-use from this. My only thing is I don't like junk laying about the yard - it will be processed and used quickly, anything left will be firewood.

• Like 4

Dan.gerous

Update.

Moved in, said goodbye to all my lovely workshops, shed a tear....

The new place has been hard work - the grass was so thick it took 6 passes to get it down to something close to acceptable. The little front yard produced about a cube of clippings - see pics.

We also decided not to get the old shed in earlier posts. It's going to be quicker and easier to build from scratch. The fuel costs dragging a trailer all over the country make it not worth the effort at the moment.

20220624_141342.jpg

20220624_141351.jpg

• Like 5

Dan.gerous

We brought a 10ft x 6ft used shed as a quick fix to the chronic lack of storage - our driveway looks like a bombsite with stuff everywhere that has no home.

We picked it up in Glasgow yesterday. It's in quite good condition and has a Dutch barn style roof, something different. The place we got it from was awful, yard full of broken bikes, kids toys, rubbish, dog pooh, etc. It sickens me how disgusting humans can be - that's the second house in a row we have recovered a shed from that was appalling.

Anyway, I digress....

Panels weigh a ton so the only wheelhorse on site "Alex" has been pressed into service transporting them on his trailer. That was after he tore through the grass!

The backdoor used to lead to a path and gate onto the road, we are repurposing the path for the sheds new home. It fits snuggly between the walls.

20220624_150729.jpg

20220623_140301.jpg

20220623_140353.jpg

20220623_142849.jpg

• Like 8

Dan.gerous

Bit more of the shed up and a gratuitous wheelhorse shot.

Floors level but walls are slightly out of plumb, think they have been built out of square - mass produced overpriced rubbish. I think this shed was over £1000k new.

Anyway, it fulfills a need and we didn't pay much for it. With that up, tools can live on property so we can get on with the real work :-)

20220624_165251.jpg

20220624_165259.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Last room cleaned as we back out the door of the last house.

Last trailer of rubbish away to the dump.

Amazed at how much stuff we accumulated in that place, our intention had been to stay a lot longer so we got a little too comfortable!

We used to be experts at keeping clutter and frivolous items to a minimum - having moved countries 5 times you tend to try not to drag much stuff with you.

That said one of our cats is a veteran traveller. He was born not far from Bondi Beach in Australia and has lived in NZ and Scotland. You should have seen his face when we moved to Orkney - not impressed with the weather at all!

Haven't done anything else at new house as all the moving has set my back off again. Can barely walk, sit or stand at the moment - going to just rest it today and hopefully will be closer to normal by Monday.

20220625_121928.jpg

20220625_100949.jpg

• Like 4

Dan.gerous

Although I can barely bend, my back eased enough that the kids and I got the roof on the shed today. 

It wasn't pretty to watch, but we got there. Still has felt to go on top, but at least it affords some shelter to everything that had been sitting in the yard.

We had to dismantle parts of it that had been incorrectly assembled by the previous owners, then fix the bodges that has been made as a result. Some people just shouldn't be allowed tools!

Will paint it up and add some trim etc next time I am home.

20220627_165205.jpg

20220627_165154.jpg

20220627_165105.jpg

• Like 7

Dan.gerous

@ebinmaine forgot to say, it's basically a very small version of your pole barn!! :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
9 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Some people just shouldn't be allowed tools!

So true! Same could be said about many other things, but .... 'nuf said. :lol:

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
9 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Some people just shouldn't be allowed tools!

So true!  Mind you, I might be one of them myself.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Haha 2

Dan.gerous

Got the felt roof on - not my preference, but it's watertight, even if not very pretty.

Loaded with stuff, so that's cleaned the yard up and it looks like we care.

Still have to make some trim for the roof front and sides to make it look nicer.

Monkey catching a break on the wheel barrow is one of the dogs toys.

20220629_182135.jpg

20220629_182125.jpg

20220629_182010.jpg

20220629_182221.jpg

• Like 6

Dan.gerous

Back home again, collecting garages and other materials for the property improvements.

Have acquired this 5m x 4m concrete garage to be relocated to the property, it's immaculate and the price was right :-)

Can't pick it up until next month, but drove down to Maryport last night for a look and to measure up for the base.

Will be digging out for the concrete work this week, and should get it all up and running by the end of August. That means all the wheelhorses can come home!!

Have also been looking for a free conservatory to turn into a porch, and about 30m² of paving bricks (free of course) to get the back area sorted out.

Progress slow while gathering materials, but will post pics as we progress.

Screenshot_20220718-083414_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220718-083452_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220718-083433_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220718-083515_Facebook.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

Maryport is just down the coast from me, Dan and not far out of your way. I'll PM you my mobile number and give me a shout when you go for the garage.I should be able to lend a hand. 

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

concrete garage to be relocated

Is this built in sections so it can be dismantled and then rebuilt just as it is?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

Looks like it, Ed. If you look at the photo's you can make out the joins through the rendering. Pre-fabricated. My bungalow is built the same way. Nearly 60yrs old and as good as the day it was built. Better than some of the stuff they are throwing up these days. Company call Kencast produced them. Don't know if they are still on the go. 

• Like 3

tunahead72
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Is this built in sections so it can be dismantled and then rebuilt just as it is?

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Looks like it, Ed... 

Or Eric, either way. :ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Or Eric, either way. :ychain:

No worries. I respond to lots of different stuff.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Horse Newbie
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

No worries. I respond to lots of different stuff.....

Just don’t call him late for supper…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dan.gerous
On 7/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, Stormin said:

Maryport is just down the coast from me, Dan and not far out of your way. I'll PM you my mobile number and give me a shout when you go for the garage.I should be able to lend a hand. 

Thanks, have PM'd you back - I always forget your just there! You can probably see our house as we are on the hill above Dumfries.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
On 7/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, ebinmaine said:

Yes, it's roughly 600mm (2ft) sections that are bolted together.

Looks like they have a silicone seal which hopefully will just need a knife through it!

Depends what you read, but panels might be 100kg (220 pounds) each - hopefully they are a bit less.

• Like 2

Stormin
28 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

You can probably see our house as we are on the hill above Dumfries.

If you mean Criffle, I probably could. Though I don't think my telescope is that good. I'll get on the kitchen extension flat roof and give it a try. Hoist a NZ flag. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2