budman2

312-8speed wire problem!

budman2

I have an old 12 hp kohler engine on a wheel horse that has a part in the harness that is suppose to prevent the back feed of the current! anyways the current does not want to go thru it! does anyone know the name of the part that I am talking about? fixed one be fore about 20 years ago but do not remember what I done! any help would be nice, thanks in advance, budman2   by the way this is the old coil & points type!!!

Edited by budman2

953 nut

Are you talking about the diode on the 3 amp charging system? 

budman2

Does a diode only let the current go in one direction? Sorry I am ignorant when it comes to the electrical systems! budman2   My old friend  on here ( my wire man passed away a few years ago, Brent known as Bowtie on here) sure miss him! he fixed all my wire problems!!!!!!

Edited by budman2

953 nut
9 minutes ago, budman2 said:

Does a diode only let the current go in one direction?

Yes, it is like a check valve for electricity. Please post the model number of your :wh: so we can be sure that you get the correct part.

budman2

No numbers on the seatpan, but this is the number on the engine, Spec# 47812   &     Model # K301S,  hope this helps ID this thing!!!!!  budman2

Edited by budman2

pfrederi

diode.JPG

diode1.JPG

gwest_ca

Tractor model number is 21-12K801 - only year to use 47812 spec number

• Like 1

953 nut

That is a good number. You have a 1985 312 with a K-301 engine. The attached wiring drawing shows a little arrow like thing next to the engine connected to a white wire, that is the Diode. There will be a little lump under some tape on the wire near the engine block, the diode is under the tape. Perhaps @gwest_ca can tell us where a replacement diode can be obtained. You will need to solder the new one in place of the old one, engine vibration would too much for a mechanical connection.

742636686_Screenshot(42).png.49244bc914d205e911c423522cdaaf75.png

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If you have access to a Radio Shack you should be able to walk out with a 6 amp replacement diode.

We no longer have RS in Canada

Any electronics repair shop should have them.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

Also, ask the person who sells the diode which end should go to the engine (AC input) and which end will give you the + DC output.

• Like 1

budman2

Thank you all very, much! now I stand a chance to get it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!! budman2

• Like 2