Randy_in_Ohio

WheelBig Horse - Jackass Special

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: The pullers claim a Wheel Horse tranny will stand up to 40 or 50 hp.

Just offhand, I don't think the single belt driving the transmission is capable of transmitting all that engine is capable of.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

, I don't think the single belt driving the transmission is capable of transmitting all that engine is capable of

I'd agree. 

Seems to me a 5/8 belt on a 6" pulley is being pushed pretty hard around 25 HP.  

Even at it's mid RPM range this engine likely makes all o that.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Randy_in_Ohio
15 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Wonder what kind of horsepower that engine makes at 3600 rpm?

55hp @3600rpm

• Like 2

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

55hp @3600rpm

Oh crap...

Mine makes 51 at 7,650.... :hide:

Don

• Like 2

Randy_in_Ohio
On 5/23/2022 at 8:45 AM, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:

Not every day you see a gear reduction controlled throttle. The builder of this machine was probably a recently retired mechanical engineer with an abundance of time on his hands. Must say his skill level far surpasses that of most custom builders.    :bow-blue:   

Will you be able to bring this to the WHCC "Big Show" next month?  We would love to see it in person.

Yes, I'm seriously considering bringing this to the show! I've never been, but looks like a good time and only about 4-5 hours away for me. But, I have to get it running first. I'm still going over it and have had to replace the water pump and fuel pump. I know some folks think that draining all of the water and fuel out of an engine before storing it is a good idea... but I disagree with that practice... Good news is all the parts are generic and easy to find! The water pump was an agricultural sprayer pump I found at Tractor Supply :)

• Like 4

Randy_in_Ohio

Anyone know how to change the title of this thread? I just realized that it says "Wheeling Horse Instead of "WheelBig Horse" :unsure:

Edited by Randy_in_Ohio

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

Anyone know how to change the title of this thread? I just realized that it says "Wheeling Horse Instead of "WheelBig Horse" :unsure:

Go back to the first post and edit. Scroll up and you should be able to change the title. 

If not someone like 

@stevasaurus or @Sparky could help you out.  

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Taken care of.  :USA:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

squonk
21 hours ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

have had to replace the water pump and fuel pump. I know some folks think that draining all of the water and fuel out of an engine before storing it is a good idea... but I disagree with that practice... 

I had a customer with flat head Fords. He hated using antifreeze because when he got a leak it would spay all over the windshield ect. Any way he would go through water pumps like nobody's business. They would seize up.  And those engines took 2. So I ended up selling him new pumps with a lifetime warranty instead of the rebuilts he was buying. That's when I found out he was running just water. I found him a case of water pump lubricant from somewhere on the east coast. Box it came in had about 2 inches of dust on it. He was a happy flat head after that

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Randy_in_Ohio

I've never hear of water pump lubricant... but wouldn't that do the same thing to his windshield if it leaked? :blink:  I think you may be on the right track though. Antifreeze has lubricating properties that just plain water doesn't. He may have only filled it with water and drained it in the winter. That may explain why the water pump was so seized up. I tried soaking it, beating it with a hammer.. that thing was like a rock inside. I'm going to run cheapo antifreeze from now on and leave it filled.

Dan.gerous
On 5/30/2022 at 9:49 AM, Randy_in_Ohio said:

Got her running!

Awesome, sounds nice and smooth.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

WHAT A BEAST!!

Very very cool.   

Any thoughts on what the 90⁰ gear box would be that turns the power side to side?

• Like 1

Randy_in_Ohio

I've tried to identify that gear box but I'm having trouble. It's stamped with "CK03". I'm thinking that it's off of a tractor? 

I still have a couple things to figure out... like what the vacuum hose coming off the distributer does. I think it needs to plug into a hole in the carb... some sort of throttle regulator?  Both gearboxes appear to be full of clean oil. Not sure what kind of oil would go in that 90 degree box but I'll probably change it out once i figure out what it is.

PXL_20220522_234013698.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don

@Randy_in_Ohio Vacuum on the distributor likely advances the timing as the engine goes to higher revs (retarded timing allows for easier starts). This is the same idea as the Kohler system on smaller K series engines which used centrifugal force. Should be a port for it on the carb.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

tried to identify that gear box but I'm having trouble.

It probably was an industrial application, may want to look up engine applications for your engine model.

4 hours ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

Got her running!

:woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Randy_in_Ohio
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

It probably was an industrial application, may want to look up engine applications for your engine model.

Good idea nut. I know that engine was also used in Toyota forklifts. 

Randy_in_Ohio
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Vacuum on the distributor likely advances the timing as the engine goes to higher revs (retarded timing allows for easier starts). This is the same idea as the Kohler system on smaller K series engines which used centrifugal force. Should be a port for it on the carb.

Yep! Thanks Don. I found the port just need to figure out a fitting to put in there. I may have to tap it out. Probably explains the erratic throttle response.

I was thinking today.... no one asked about the brakes!  Factory Wheelhorse if you're wondering...but they look like they have new pad anyway :unsure:

• Like 2

953 nut

image.jpeg.f7312cba1338a8a4be79ea33b37d1f0c.jpeg

• Excellent 4
  • Haha 3

953 nut

:confusion-confused:   Got any numbers on the engine that might point toward an application?   :confusion-questionmarks:      Many times the water pump on an industrial engine will be different from auto applications.       Got to be something out there that will help identify that gear box.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Blasterdad
8 hours ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

I still have a couple things to figure out... like what the vacuum hose coming off the distributor does. I think it needs to plug into a hole in the carb... 

If you can find out which carb was originally on that motor you should be able to figure out if the vacuum advance on the distributor uses ported or manifold vacuum. Manifold vacuum is rare but some engines did use it. Not sure if you could make ported vacuum work with that Kohler carb...:dunno:

• Like 1

Pullstart

So awesome to see it running, and so smoothly!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
On 5/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, squonk said:

I had a customer with flat head Fords. He hated using antifreeze because when he got a leak it would spay all over the windshield ect. Any way he would go through water pumps like nobody's business. They would seize up.  And those engines took 2. So I ended up selling him new pumps with a lifetime warranty instead of the rebuilts he was buying. That's when I found out he was running just water. I found him a case of water pump lubricant from somewhere on the east coast. Box it came in had about 2 inches of dust on it. He was a happy flat head after that

At our local circle tracks, antifreeze isn’t allowed, for cleanup reasons after wrecks.  They use Water Wetter to lube the pumps :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Randy_in_Ohio
16 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

If you can find out which carb was originally on that motor you should be able to figure out if the vacuum advance on the distributor uses ported or manifold vacuum. Manifold vacuum is rare but some engines did use it. Not sure if you could make ported vacuum work with that Kohler carb...:dunno:

The original carb had a hole in it for the vacuum advance... this Kohler carb does not. Thought it did at first, but when I looked into the hole it doesn't go anywhere. Not sure what to do with this hose! Cap it? Leave it? Haven't had much time to look into the gearbox, I'll look some more tonight. Going to look for some more numbers on it. Didn't look under it yet.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

The original carb had a hole in it for the vacuum advance... this Kohler carb does not. Thought it did at first, but when I looked into the hole it doesn't go anywhere. Not sure what to do with this hose! Cap it? Leave it? Haven't had much time to look into the gearbox, I'll look some more tonight. Going to look for some more numbers on it. Didn't look under it yet.

I'd plug it on the off chance a mud dauber might want to make a nest in there  leave it set for now considering there's no place to plug it in.

• Like 4