Randy_in_Ohio

WheelBig Horse - Jackass Special

Blasterdad

Being run at a steady RPM you shouldn't need the the vacuum advance anyway, I would just take the hose off & cap it at the distributor, should be fine.

• Like 2

Wheelhorse#1

Very very cool machine .Wonder how she's cuts? You could blast through a couple acre's in no time    :D 

More pix and vids please.Hope to see at the show 

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 5/31/2022 at 5:24 PM, Blasterdad said:

Being run at a steady RPM you shouldn't need the the vacuum advance anyway, I would just take the hose off & cap it at the distributor, should be fine.

In use, when the engine loading increases and the governor opens the throttle, a vacuum advance would slightly retard the spark so that the engine wouldn't stumble as it accelerated back to the desired RPM.

Stormin
On 5/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, peter lena said:

@953 nut  usually mechanical engineers are so full of themselves , they would not have a clue , just giant ego.  

Pete! If you were a bit closer I'd give you a slap for that. :teasing-slap:

You got yourself a real bargain there, Randy. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Maxwell-8

Impressive the front spindles can handle that weight.

What is the top speed on it?

peter lena

@Stormin thats what I said and meant every word of it !  was also lucky to have a retired  navy chief as a  day shift foreman , he was the key to decipher what the , engineers said and what they really wanted .  working for Doug, the chief , was like not working at all , always had your back , time just flew , pete  

Jrain

Most likely that engine is from a power unit or tractor , Toyota has been around a long time but kept very good records the engine code will tell you everything you need to know, I know Generac used 1.2 liter 3 cyl  Nissan engines in there  16 kw and up generators in the 90s ,that had it also had a bad water pump when I got that Generac , Generac wanted 260.00 dollars for a new water pump. after a little research I found that engine was used in a Canadian Nissan car called the Mica  got the water pump for  $ 28.00 from a Canadian auto Parts store off Ebay.  cool find enjoy it

• Like 3

ranger
On 5/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, peter lena said:

@953 nut  usually mechanical engineers are so full of themselves , they would not have a clue , just giant ego , now if you said a retired machinist , or production machinist, thats the type guy that really does things . out of the box , had one in the glass refinishing area , that could make up anything , also a good guy  , no giant ego , pete  

Having been asked questions by R&D engineers I have previously worked with, such as, “ I’m re-designing this part, can you tell me where it’s fitted, and what it does?” 🤔. And of course, ANY design failures were always “someone else’s fault”. Pointing out obvious, (to anyone outside of their ‘circle’) flaws in their proposed ‘ideas’, was treated as ‘heresy’, and “how dare we criticise them?” I for one, was forever being banned from entering the R&D workshops and offices for ‘laughing’ at some of the things they wanted to try, and had been unsuccessfully tried before!). We were told, “We are there to repair things that failed, always due to someone else’s actions,” ( like, ‘trying to use a machine for it’s intended purpose’!). I feel, speaking from personal experience, there is a fair bit of ‘truth’ in your comment Pete! Having said that, of course there are may M.E’s who will go out of their way to assist you, you can usually tell who they are, they generally are the quiet ones, who just sit there and ‘get on with the job!’

Doug.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
23 minutes ago, ranger said:

M.E’s who will go out of their way

These folks are good listeners, are enthusiastic about good ideas (regardless of source), frequently have dirty hands, and may have hearing loss from hanging out in the production areas for too many years without ear protection.

I also find that their hobbies often involve building or fixing things.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@ ranger  @ handy don , interesting how we share similar remembrances , with the management type , they are pegged into that group, with job position . rarely say anything to you , you could feel their insecurity , and very uncomfortable to ask you anything . would really like it when there was an , experienced and friendly (  very rare  ) engineer on board , ask you a bout a chronic problem , and what , you thought about it . management ego , regularly defeats itself , you have make you way , very carefully . long out of it now , but you don't forget it ,  keep enjoying yourself , my second grandson , just graduated HS , now it gets interesting , my first grand son goes into the marines in AUG , aced his crew chief wanna be testing , my grand daughter , enters JR  jr year , very quiet , probably be a brain surgeon , just talking , pete        

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ranger

My way of thinking has always been, If I need the answer to anything, I will ask the person I consider, (or I’m told is the person to ask), whether it’s the M.D, or the, (no disrespect intended), the person who cleans the toilets. If they know the answer, then they are the ones to ask! One thing that always used to frustrate me was the total ‘unwillingness’ to ask the opinion of the operators of the products we manufactured as to current issues, or suggestions as to any improvements the operators considered could improve efficiency, etc. It was always a case of, “Their  job is to operate it, I’m the designer”! They generally had no comprehension of the operating environments, due to never visiting a customer, and seeing for themselves the machines in action, just relying on reports we provided, along with suggested remedies, (which were generally ignored).
Doug.

p.s. Nice conversion,👍  gives me ideas for the D722 Kubota engine I have sitting in my friend’s barn!

Edited by ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I'm a retired mechanical engineer who spent his entire 40 year in the steel automotive wheel industry.  I started out in product engineering doing FEA stress analysis in the product design phase. 

Yup, I was a young bookish engineer that lacked real world experience.  However, I recognized that fact and took a position in corporate manufacturing engineering to learn more about how wheels are really made, with the intention of going back into product engineering at some future date.

Well, I never made it back into product design, as the remainder of the positions I took were plant level production engineering assignments. 

While I was working as a manufacturing engineer, I recognized that the skilled tradesmen and line workers were a very valuable resource.   I used what I had learned when I moved into the plant level production engineering position and discussed proposals and got opinions from non engineering production and production support people as a matter of course in my various projects.  If I was working on a new set of dies, I would gather together the die techs and set up people for a die design review before releasing the design for build.  If I was working on a production machine issue or plant layout problem, we would gather lead production people and setup people for comment and input.

However, not all of the engineers I worked with did this.  A lot of the managers did not, either - those folks were exactly as @peter lena describes.  Seemed to be worse with the technical types who worked at the corporate offices. One of the corporate level tooling engineers was in the plant one day overseeing some modifications.  He decided he needed a left hand thread in the piece for some reason. The die tech (tool maker) he was working with did not have the required left handed tap. The corporate tooling engineer said "oh, that's ok, just tap the hole with a right hand tap, starting from the other side".

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Randy_in_Ohio
On 6/11/2022 at 9:29 AM, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Very very cool machine .Wonder how she's cuts? You could blast through a couple acre's in no time    :D 

More pix and vids please.Hope to see at the show 

Thanks! I haven't cut with it yet... Been working on it getting it ready for the show!!! I'll be heading out to the show with the Big Horse Friday Morning! Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some feedback on this amazing work of art.

PXL_20220609_202058888.jpg.289c6bef3506ba90d905ad51beafec72.jpg

PXL_20220609_202139633.jpg.ca1d05e93da48ac410fda0e6bb71523d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Randy_in_Ohio said:

Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some feedback

If anyone can figure out what exactly the 90⁰ gearbox is to turn engine rotation to transmission rotation I'd be VERY interested.  

• Like 1

Randy_in_Ohio
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If anyone can figure out what exactly the 90⁰ gearbox is to turn engine rotation to transmission rotation I'd be VERY interested.  

Me too! I've given up trying to figure it out... with enough eyes looking it over someone is going to recognize it.

After looking a little closer I could see that it is actually a three-way gearbox. One of the shafts is not being used and just spins. It was also crafted on to add some "feet" to it... I think. Some sort of agricultural gearbox I think I've narrowed it down to a hay bailer or some sort of rototiller... 

Free beer for the first person to identify it! :beer:

PXL_20220522_233830574.jpg.a79a6e61f10c524cd16c32c0dd7bc353.jpg

• Like 1

Randy_in_Ohio
On 6/17/2022 at 10:44 PM, Jrain said:

Most likely that engine is from a power unit or tractor , Toyota has been around a long time but kept very good records the engine code will tell you everything you need to know, I know Generac used 1.2 liter 3 cyl  Nissan engines in there  16 kw and up generators in the 90s ,that had it also had a bad water pump when I got that Generac , Generac wanted 260.00 dollars for a new water pump. after a little research I found that engine was used in a Canadian Nissan car called the Mica  got the water pump for  $ 28.00 from a Canadian auto Parts store off Ebay.  cool find enjoy it

I've done a bit of research on this and I can not find any evidence that this engine is from a tractor, generator, forklift, etc.. The 3K engine was used in Toyota Corolla's and some other cars, trucks, and vans that I don't think were sold in the US. The engine code is "3K-C". the "C" denotes that it had California emission controls. From what I've read, the "Y" and "P" series engines were used in industrial applications. From what I've gathered, this engine most likely came out of a 1974 - 1976 Corolla E30. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Randy_in_Ohio

Just an FYI for you on YouTube. 

I've subscribed to your channel but I don't get notifications because the video is "age restricted". Or "for kids". 

If you leave the Age Restricted off it sends notifications to subscribers.  

Not a big deal as long as you post them here because I get Redsquare notifications anyway.....

ebinmaine

And by the way.  

Love the tractor!!! 

Pullstart
On 6/19/2022 at 11:41 AM, Randy_in_Ohio said:

Free beer for the first person to identify it! :beer:

Woah!  Why did I not know that at the big show!?!?!?  It’s a 90 degree gearbox for a Wheel Big Horse!

• Haha 1

adsm08
On 5/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, peter lena said:

@953 nut  usually mechanical engineers are so full of themselves , they would not have a clue  

On 6/11/2022 at 12:24 PM, Stormin said:

Pete! If you were a bit closer I'd give you a slap for that. :teasing-slap:

I'm with Pete on this one.

Engineers are a highly educated bunch. Very smart, lots of training and book learning, they have to do a lot of math that I can't do, but somehow they still manage to screw the pooch 100% of the time and little old, below even basic consideration, grease monkey me has to figure out what they screwed up and how to fix it so it won't break again, without being able to see or touch the parts in question.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
On 6/18/2022 at 7:01 PM, 8ntruck said:

The corporate tooling engineer said "oh, that's ok, just tap the hole with a right hand tap, starting from the other side".

Sounds like he was also the designer of the metric adjustable wrench “as seen on tv”… :lol:

• Haha 1

8ntruck
16 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Sounds like he was also the designer of the metric adjustable wrench “as seen on tv”… :lol:

I was in a plant engineering position when that corporate engineer visited and gave a presentation on a new type of wheel they were working on.  They had a couple of variations that had been prototyped.  The presentation ended up saying that the new wheel had passed all tests and was ready to go into production.  One of the other plant level engineers asked two questions - have both types of prototypes passed all tests?  The answer was "no, but between the two different styles all tests had been passed".

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Randy_in_Ohio

The Wheel Big Horse is for sale. I'm in the process of moving to northern Michigan and I'm not going to have room to keep this. Still runs great and still hasn't been mowed with! I love this thing and my wife doesn't want me to sell it but I think it needs to go to a better home. If you're interested send me a PM. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

Boy do I wish I lived closer...

:lol:

sjoemie himself

:text-yeahthat: x2!

As sad as it is I'm sure it will go to a good home and we'll see it back on the forum again or a the 'big meet'..

or in my case pictures of it :P