Cee245

1975 c160 auto purchase and whole lotta ???

rjg854
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

The Bobbsey twins.... :ychain:

:laughing-rolling:

More like Mutt and Jeff

:ychain:

• Haha 7

Ed Kennell

I'm guessin you're Mutt  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

rjg854

I'm a mutt alright a Heinz 57.  :ROTF:

44 percent Scottish

34% English and northwestern European

17% Irish

5% Swedish

According to ancestry.com

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cee245

@daveoman1966 yes, I know where you are! I remember I bought a set of gray primed 8" rims and spindles and something else?? ...like 5 years ago.. you showed me your C160 at that time. Kinda thought it was 8 spd ..  thanks for the tips... I'll PM you about any parts etc...  or isn't your email same as your handle with @windstream.net if I remember correctly? It'd be good to see ya again 

Also wondering who knows is this sunstrand?  Not sure of exact model number but I think sunstrand. Is it as much of a pain in the donkey to fill up as my Eaton 1100s?... I know the tricks on  416h, but I never look forward to filling up my eatons with fresh oil. 

Edited by Cee245
Spelling
  • Like 1

daveoman1966
12 hours ago, Cee245 said:

@daveoman1966 yes, I know where you are! I remember I bought a set of gray primed 8" rims and spindles and something else?? ...like 5 years ago.. you showed me your C160 at that time. Kinda thought it was 8 spd ..  thanks for the tips... I'll PM you about any parts etc...  or isn't your email same as your handle with @windstream.net if I remember correctly? It'd be good to see ya again 

Also wondering who knows is this sunstrand?  Not sure of exact model number but I think sunstrand. Is it as much of a pain in the donkey to fill up as my Eaton 1100s?... I know the tricks on  416h, but I never look forward to filling up my eatons with fresh oil. 

Your C-160 Auto is a Sundstrand model 90-1140 (if original, that is).  Here is an easy...not messy...way to pour in the oil or ATF.  

Email is daveoman@windstream.net.   

FILL VENT (6) - Copy.JPG

FILL VENT (8) - Copy.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 6

WHX??
19 hours ago, Cee245 said:

Thanks for all the info everyone! 

@ebinmaine, I printed a copy of the checklist and will go through that so I don't forget anything... 

@Ed Kennell,  I'll definitely look for you and @WHX??.

@WHX?? I'm definitely interested in the rod for the hood.

Sadly I won't make it Cee. Get me the lenght of the rod you need. They might be different from the square hoods. I'll peel one off today and shoot you a pic. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??

This one work? Off a 1277 hood. Sorry about upside.... need finnish my :coffee:

20220521_085254[1].jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Sadly I won't make it Cee

I'll have my bucket o hood  parts at the show  If he still needs one Jim.

• Like 4

WHX??

Nice Ed don't want to see him go for want.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'll have my bucket o hood  parts at the show  If he still needs one Jim.

3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Nice Ed don't want to see him go for want.

You guys are alright.  

Ed, you get the inkling to mail one to Maine lemme know. 

• Like 2

Cee245

Thanks @Ed Kennell. And @WHX??!!!

I'd like to get one please! only little over a month away...

• Like 2

Cee245

How cow, this looks way different.  I just put penetrating spray on it. That's it so far. 

I like the deep red look...

20220519_232200.jpg

20220521_203238.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

WHX??

Nice! :handgestures-thumbupright:  Is that a dealer sticker in front of the hood latch? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Cee245

@WHX??

Yes it is. Maybe it's just me, but I always hated these stickers. Especially when they slap 3 of them on!

definitely want it removed from the hood. I guess I'll ask the wife if I can borrow her hair dryer, although it may not be the best idea with WD soaking in at the moment  

• Like 1

Cee245

since this is a 1975, I'm guessing Kubota dealers weren't around in the 1890's and stickers weren't invented, so since it says 85 years of customer service by this dealer  it was prob put on after servicing it once upon a time. that's even more irritating to me for some reason.   I get advertising etc, but a couple times in the past, I've specifically said Do Not put a sticker on... only to find a couple crooked ones put there.  

16532624785145475818369261939620.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@Cee245   thats what I've been doing for years , its so easy its ridiculous . feeds the paint stops the rust , never had the sticker issue , you might try a clean razor blade from the side , just to get a lift started . also add  more aerosol as you go , that oil creep might get under the seal . anyway , bringing back that paint , you can leave it as is , looks good . ones  I  have recovered , left the oil on and only clean cloth wiped it down . let it sit as is , then used a 6 " palm buffer with a cleaner wax , pop , that paint just came out and was very deep clean . then all i did was an penetrating oil rub down , looks very good . pete

• Like 1

Cee245

Thanks @peter lena. I'm done complaining lol... I'll get it the sticker off and get to the important things soon..

yes @WHX??, I measured mine and it's the same

• Like 2

Cee245

Little update on C160...

Met @buckeyes this afternoon and made a deal for some really nice tins...

I think I'll go this route rather than messing with fixing the seat pan.  Unfortunately the old seat pan is cracked and also the part under the pan is cracked all over. It's the part directly underneath the pan in the first Pic.

The paint on the hood isn't orange like the Pic. It is a bright red and they all match. 

16568029468766488111730564674959.jpg

16568031076024508454312594363460.jpg

• Like 4

buckeyes

It was really nice meeting you this afternoon, and I enjoyed your visit. I hope those work out for you!

• Like 2

Cee245

Here is a couple pics of little progress from last night and today... I'm getting a good grasp on the shape of this thing.... pressure washed most of the grime off, . ..  it's kinda neglected but worth fixing up IMHO. 

One small Crack in plate that tranny bolts to. Have seen much worse.... 

My plan is to get it fully operational and eventually rebuild engine.  The piston is std size so thats good to see....         

For now, I would like to clean it up a lot more.....  rebuild the carb/ get it dialed in (looks like its running rich very dark plug)

2nd pic:

The sunstrand tranny is strong and tight from me testing it. Not leaking anywhere from what I can see... changed fluid/ filter and hubs seem good enough for me. Put a new drive belt on that I picked up @ the big show and noticed I'll need a new idler pulley. 

Needs the steering all tightened up just because I like it to have as little play as reasonably possible. 

I have a 7/8 construction reamer on order with bushing inserts 3/4 ID x 7/8 OD  to repair the axle pivot and spindle part of axle... I have a nice set of spindles I'll use cuz the original ones are worn pretty badly. 

I haven't adjusted the valves on a kohler, so I'll do a search on how to do that.  

Any other specific things I should do to the motor besides the basics?..... Plug/filter / decarbon head / adjust valves ....  I don't know the K341, I know my 416H's Onan decent, but this is my first K series single.  

The fuel pump works,  so I'd rather not mess with too much that doesn't need it for now... 

3rd pic:

Starter works, but the engagement teeth on the sprocket thingy are chewed up and loose on the shaft.  Will have to address that too.

This is the fun part for me..... lol

16568835044623105067242727198376.jpg

1656883616067729133492204535667.jpg

16568836476616779402502251977487.jpg

Edited by Cee245
Pic
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, Cee245 said:

Starter works, but the engagement teeth on the sprocket thingy are chewed up and loose on the shaft.  Will have to address that too

Looks like you're headed the right direction with everything above. 

That starter needs to be removed/rebuilt/reinstalled.  

Easy to do. 

The drive gear should not have "wet lube" anywhere near it. That's a great way to collect dirt.  

After a thorough cleaning lube the starter with dry graphite powder lube. 

Please do keep us posted on what you do to tighten up the steering.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cee245

@ebinmainewhere do you get a rebuild kit? And a K341 oem carb kit?  Lowell? Just gave him and Joette a bunch of 💰... I'll check their site...

I know you are "Mr. C160" and all... lol .... you're comments are always welcome ! Just kidding around ... 

Edited by Cee245
More Info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Cee245 said:

@ebinmainewhere do you get a rebuild kit? And a K341 oem carb kit?  Lowell? Just gave him and Joette a bunch of 💰... I'll check their site...

I know you are "Mr. C160" and all... lol .... you're comments are always welcome ! Just kidding around ... 

Rebuild kits for the starters are available in multiple places online and fleabay etc.

You could contact DB Electrical or I Save Tractors just to name a couple.

You may want to remove and disassemble your own starter so you can measure the bushings / bearings that are in there.

There are threads posted here on Red square about how to do the actual rebuild itself. Pretty cut and dry. Biggest issue is most often getting the brushes to sit in place during reassembly and there's homemade special tools listed in these threads.

Kohler single cylinder carb rebuild kit is:

Up to 16 HP. Single cylinders:
Kohler 2575701S.

Just take that part number and do a search. As long as it's an OEM KOHLER kit you should be fine. I don't recommend using aftermarket replacements. You only save a few bucks and the materials might not be up to par.

• Like 1

Blasterdad
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

OEM KOHLER

:thumbs:

IMG_0212.JPG.4813e4060c3c6b95ad1449a5d5fb81c1.JPGIMG_0213.JPG.ded5347e35bc8ea11456560a82c6bfec.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Cee245

I did find and know to use OEM kohler carb kit. Every trustworthy person says they are worth it.

Reminds me of my 90's F150's on how they like Motorcraft parts and not the cheap stuff or super expensive stuff. 

Anyway, not wanting to get the wrong starter rebuild kit, here are pics of my starter.... there is what I assume a date?  of [1 10 1977] on the starter as well..  it also says American Bosch Columbus Miss. And I can't read anything else. 

I found bendix rebuild kits, but not sure which to get... I also see the kits WITHOUT the engagement sprocket thingy. That kit just has the internal stuff only. 

ALSO, in the bottom Pic, I opened the part to get to the valve adjustment,  see where there is a hole? Does NOT look factory... there is a yellow color INSIDE the hole that the arrow is pointing to..... 👉 not sure what's up with that...

20220704_004811.jpg

20220704_004819.jpg

20220704_014407.jpg

• Like 1