Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

Suburban Trans

MikesRJ

Mike I zipped the pictures to you, on the secod e-mail. :thumbs: buckrancher, I sure am glad you cleared that up for me, I thought I was loosing my eyesight. :thumbs2: That is a pretty cool idea. Thanks guys. Mike please do send the link that you talked about.

Terry,

Got 'em. I'll make sure to give you credit for them. Thanks. I started the write-up section on page 2 and it'll be a work in progress for a while. Any and all comments about the content and text are welcome from your experiences as well (or anyone else who wants to throw in their two cents, just PM me).

Mike

tgranthamfd

Got the diff. torn apart, last night, found that 1 of the axle gears has 3 teeth that are chipped off. got a picture of it, but it wasn't focused real good. Question: are the alxe gears replaceable in singles or do I need to replace them as a pair. And what is a good way to get the bronze bushings out, without a special tool.

MikesRJ

Try to post a picture, as a good welder may be able to repair it.

They can be replaced as a single, but I don't know where you would find one though.

Does anyone here got a part for him? He's looking for a WH P/N:3530 Axle Gear, Differential.

Bronze bearings are best removed with a bearing chisel. You don't want to score the walls behind them. The tool looks like a T-shaped chisel and the back of the T is flat and goes against the wall when you use it. The leg of the T does the splitting.

tgranthamfd

Got the bearings ordered, just need to find some of 1/16" spacers, they were all 5/16" thick. Got the diff. torn apart and the gear face smoothed out. I'll show the before and after of the diff. gear. Any input is welcomed. :thumbs2: for looking.

Before

DSC00885.jpg

And after

DSC00887.jpg

and the diff. bushings after removal.

DSC00889.jpg

MikesRJ

Nicely done, keep the pictures coming.

gwgdog66

Got the diff. torn apart, last night, found that 1 of the axle gears has 3 teeth that are chipped off. got a picture of it, but it wasn't focused real good. Question: are the alxe gears replaceable in singles or do I need to replace them as a pair. And what is a good way to get the bronze bushings out, without a special tool.

Big brother had a camera :thumbs: Here is the diff gear with the chipped teeth.

DSC00487.jpg

Now to my defense, this picture was in focus in my bi-focals :thumbs2:

DSC00489.jpg

MikesRJ

You're right, I don't think I'd trust it either. You might want to take it to a welder and see what they say, But I would replace it to be on the safe side. Anyone else have an opinion here?

Coadster32

If I'm not mistaken, that gear has full outer engagement. If you're not going to beat on this tracotr, I say ease on down the road and use it. I put together a tranny with 75% of the gears meshing, and no problem. Depends on the application. I have an issue with welding them. If or when the edge chips off again, it has to go somewhere. If you weld it, you'll end up filing, or grinding the shape of the gear back. Being human, you'll get it close, but not perfect. I will get perfect by use. Guess what happends to the extra that gets worn down. Just my .02$

tgranthamfd

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone in on a little trick, that seemed to help out on the old bearing removal, from the side plates. I got 1 bearing out last weekend, and fabed up a "special" tool. This weekend I grabbed up a zip lock bag and filled it with crushed ice, then sat it on the bearing I was working on and let it sit for about 30 to 45 mins. then popped the bearings right out. Ok OK I have 1 left that is being a real #&%@* but my "special tool" started bending on me. Hpoe this is some useful information for some of you. Thanks for reading. C Ya.

tgranthamfd

Got a few pics for ya.

side plate axle play damage before and after.

DSC00909.jpg

and after repaired

DSC00917.jpg

Crappy axle tube cracked weld.

DSC00912.jpg

after repaired

DSC00913.jpg

Side plate in primer, getting closer.

DSC00914.jpg

Thanks for looking, any input / advice is welcomed. Oh yeah, I may have found an online bearing source for that stupid 3/4 x 1-5/8 x 3/8 bearing. I stumbled across 4 possible cross numbers for the infamous WH #1502 bearing, if so they were about 5 to 6 dollars each. I will let you guys know when they come in. :thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

FYI on the bearings in question, 2 of the 4 cross numbers were avalibel and they are identicle to the one that was in the tranny. One is GENERAL #22603-01, the other is a SCHATZ / KIL. SR630. Actually, the one that came out is a NICE 412-35. Don't know if the tranny had been worked on before, or if some of these were assembled with other suppliers bearings in them. Next question is, in the last photo, are the caps on the end of the axle tube suposed to come off. The new seals I got, with a Toro number, look as if they SHOULD come off before putting the new ones on. I haven't tryed pulling on them yet. Got all the needed parts in this week and will be assembeling this weekend, or attempting to. :scratchead:

HorseFixer

P.S. what type of lube really goes in this trany? :scratchead: Thanks in advance for your input and advise.

:hide: Ummmm that ones easy! :ychain:

svo_350pxh.jpg

MikesRJ

:hide: Ummmm that ones easy! :ychain:

Never mind the ubiquitous self promotion..... :ychain: :ychain:

MikesRJ

FYI on the bearings in question, 2 of the 4 cross numbers were avalibel and they are identicle to the one that was in the tranny. One is GENERAL #22603-01, the other is a SCHATZ / KIL. SR630. Actually, the one that came out is a NICE 412-35. Don't know if the tranny had been worked on before, or if some of these were assembled with other suppliers bearings in them. Next question is, in the last photo, are the caps on the end of the axle tube suposed to come off. The new seals I got, with a Toro number, look as if they SHOULD come off before putting the new ones on. I haven't tryed pulling on them yet. Got all the needed parts in this week and will be assembeling this weekend, or attempting to. :scratchead:

The caps on the end of the axle tubes are the old seals. That should be removed, as well as replace the bronze bearings inside the tube, and the new seals installed over the ends of the axle tubes.

tgranthamfd

Yes, got the seal thing figured out. got it all cleaned up and together, went through all the gears, and had free spin neutral at the out put shaft, as well as, turning the output shaft turned the axle. Got it all primed, too. Ran out of time or it would be red. Mike got a couple more assembly pictures for you if you need any. Here they are. Just hope everything turns out ok, this is my first tranny rebuild. Thanks.

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

MikesRJ

Is that thing painted yet? :scratchead:

tgranthamfd

Is that thing painted yet? :hide:

Mike it has got some red on it along with some dings where it fell from the little ricketty stand I had it hanging on, no real damage. I posted the red tranny over in the work in progress thread along with a couple more. :scratchead: Think I going to haul the K91 out to spray some tins today. Maybe :ychain:

MikesRJ

Well, truth be known, I too had a small mishap with a painted and freshly finished in clear-coat seat pan. I swear that fresh paint attracts flying objects! :scratchead:

As I was moving around the shop I fumbled with a large wrench, which miraculously attracted itself directly to the seat pan, and it proceeded to clatter around all over it for a while until making its way to the floor. This left a dozen chipped spots and scratches all over the top, and of course, forcing me to completely refinish the damn thing again from bare metal.

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics. :ychain: :hide:

Coadster32

Good job on the tranny. Did I miss something, or did you reuse some of the slightly worn gears?

tgranthamfd

Good job on the tranny. Did I miss something, or did you reuse some of the slightly worn gears?

Hey Chris, I did reuse all of the gears, just cleaned up the faces on the differential gear set and left all other meshing gears as they were. Bearings, bushings, seals, gaskets, oil, and some new pait. Got the brake band cleaned up and painted last night, as well. Thanks for that, by the way. I have been bouncing back and forth between this post and the work in progress post. It all rolls around as it should, but it is really tight rolling backwards in neutral, I may have not gotten the diff bushings cut down exactly even, figured it would wear down some when I get some power bolted to it so I can drive it around. It's tight.