dmoore

1964 854

dmoore

Is this pump supposed to have an actuating lever or is it work off of crankcase vacuum? It's been over 45 years since I fooled with these small 8 horsepower engines

• Like 2

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, dmoore said:

Is this pump supposed to have an actuating lever or is it work off of crankcase vacuum? It's been over 45 years since I fooled with these small 8 horsepower engines

That could very well be a crank case pressure activated pump. Trina has one on her 867.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

I thought so...Back together she goes. If she doesn't start later this evening I will check for pump operation. Thanks EB!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, dmoore said:

I thought so...Back together she goes. If she doesn't start later this evening I will check for pump operation. Thanks EB!

I'm not familiar with the vertical location of the gas tank on those. I know on the ones that are slightly later, the tank is high enough that it will gravity feed fuel down even if the fuel pump is not working.

• Like 1

ri702bill

Yup it will work IF the check valves are not stuck. Tank needs to be filled - less than half it will run dry IF you bypass the pump completely and run it like a Model T Ford!!

• Like 2

squonk
2 hours ago, dmoore said:

So now we know why it was parked

20220517_150144.jpg

That's a vacuum fuel pump. No lever

• Like 5

D_Mac

I would also change the fuel line. I cut the rubber line  off my 856 project and out poured what looked like sand or saw dust.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

vacuum fuel pump

@buckrancher Brian still sell the new diaphragms?

• Like 3

dmoore
47 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I would also change the fuel line. I cut the rubber line  off my 856 project and out poured what looked like sand or saw dust.

The fuel hose from the tank to the carb is not that old I got some 110 Sunoco in there:lol:

Edited by dmoore
  • Like 3

dmoore

Original Kohler generator belt

20220517_142035.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

WHGuy413

Beautiful machine right there! One of my bucket list tractors. I’m sure it will be up and running in no time. It will definitely look great all done up nice. 

When I first started I thought they all needed to be restored but as of late I have been on keep them original kick and the boys and I officially can say we have 4 original tractors. Any that I restored were basket cases anyway so they needed. Can’t wait to see the progress on this one.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dmoore

Thanks WHGuy:handgestures-thumbupright: So I got it running tonight but only while the key is held in the start position. Bad run side of switch??

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, dmoore said:

running tonight but only while the key is held in the start position. Bad run side of switch??

Could be the switch is bad or it could be in need of some TLC. There is a contact plate that rotates with the key, some stationary contacts and  small springs and some grease inside the housing. The old grease could be hardened to the point the springs can't function to make contact. Carefully bend the tabs on the switch housing to allow the plate with the connection tabs to be removed, spray some electrical contact cleaner in there and see if you can free things up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Nice 854 & definitely a favored tractor around here. :handgestures-thumbupright:

On the tank expect it to weep a little as the gasket dries out with no gas in it. sometimes they quit leaking after adding gas sometimes they don't. once you get into the resto be very careful if you try to remove the screws. Aluminum tank + steel screws = dissimilar metals corrosion and you can twist them right off. Gently try tightening them a very little bit first if you go the removal route. 

Kev"s idea is best with the tank sealer kit although new gaskets are around for it. 

Guessing KBS works on AL tanks @Pullstart ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

absolutely! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dmoore
30 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Nice 854 & definitely a favored tractor around here. :handgestures-thumbupright:

On the tank expect it to weep a little as the gasket dries out with no gas in it. sometimes they quit leaking after adding gas sometimes they don't. once you get into the resto be very careful if you try to remove the screws. Aluminum tank + steel screws = dissimilar metals corrosion and you can twist them right off. Gently try tightening them a very little bit first if you go the removal route. 

Kev"s idea is best with the tank sealer kit although new gaskets are around for it. 

I filled the tank last night before I started it. Checked this morning, dry as a bone. I will probably take it apart during the tear down and re-gasket it. And I def thought about the dissimilar metals! Thanks:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

WHX??
1 minute ago, dmoore said:

Checked this morning, dry as a bone.

Excellent you may have lucked out. Sometimes when the gasket sees the new gas it will expand and seal.... keep an eye on it. You might notice some weeping. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, dmoore said:

re-gasket

It's possible I'd be prone to leaving that right alone unless it started to leak.....

• Like 8

dmoore

I asked a few threads back but do you guy's know if the original type front & rear tires are still available? And if so please post a link. Thanks!

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 minute ago, dmoore said:

I asked a few threads back but do you guy's know if the original type front & rear tires are still available? And if so please post a link. Thanks!

Exact originals, not that I've been able to find. I went with a pretty close substitute by Carlisle, their "Sawtooth" model. Only difference I could detect was more closely-spaced side scalloping at the edge of the tread (and no more dry rot bulges).

• Like 2

dmoore

Yes, I had looked at them..close. How about the rears, that odd tread pattern...I have entertained this combo as well.

20220513_213910.jpg

Edited by dmoore
Correction
  • Like 2

dmoore

It's def more of an aggressive look!

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

My 854 has DeeStones on the front and (Carlisle in early pics on back) Firestone sawtooth on the back.

9EA860DD-DF2E-4FF5-AE2D-F5C1559F5BF0.jpeg.4f4d9ad1f3c258dc31dc880f20fc8547.jpeg

5451E76E-51DD-497F-B1D8-055075282D15.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

Handy Don
38 minutes ago, dmoore said:

How about the rears, that odd tread pattern...I have entertained this combo as well

I've kept the Firestone "All purpose" garden tractor tires it came to me wearing and, frankly, I like that look and they do the job. The tires and wheels must have been taken off and stored early on and only put back on to sell the machine since they have practically no wear, just some weather/age cracks, and are still holding air. The paint on the wheels was shot but it looked like weathering you'd get from covered outdoor storage and not wear and tear.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

Okay that's your tractor Lane Ranger wow! She is sure sharp:handgestures-thumbupright: I'd like the cleat tires on the back but I don't think I could do clean on the front as well I don't know maybe just me

• Like 2