shipo

520-h motion controls

shipo

hello i am looking for help my 520 will not atay going forward and reverse is very very slow. is there a way to adjust and fix. if so how? 

• Sad 1

kpinnc

Unfortunately there were too many different motion control versions for any of us to help you without either model numbers or pictures. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Under the seat there is an access hole where you will find the cam plate.  There is a friction adjustment nut that you will turn down a bit till the motion lever has some resistance to movement, adjust till it stays in place while operating.  The cam follower that rides in that groove may be worn or out of adjustment causing the slow reverse, keep in mind that reverse is a bit slower than forward.  Also, that friction area has washers that are not to be lubricated.

Get things cleaned up and adjusted, then report back with results.

• Like 2

rmaynard

:WRS: 

Generally, if it's moving too slow, and motion control won't stay put, it's a problem in the linkage and/or cam plate (depending on model). 

As was said earlier, a little more info on year and the ID number would be helpful.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:

Go to our manuals section and download your tractors manual.    It will contain the info you need to adjust the motion control.

If you have trouble finding the manual, post your tractors model number and we can post a link to your manual.

• Like 1

shipo

ok yall sorry for the late reply just got outside. dont mind the pto pully off had a leak from crank seal waiting for replacement to arrive 

B58A17D1-B494-4D6F-8FF0-EC882075E301.jpeg

DD215DD0-BCBB-411C-AC15-C450F8824234.jpeg

7003F097-2E91-477F-8D8D-279AFF273797.jpeg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

• Like 3

rmaynard

Look at the image below. Areas in red circles are places where slop can occur. These areas need to be tight and not producing a lot of unnecessary movement. This is an important step in making the motion control work correctly. 

linkage520.png.68d4867b8573c7c2100f2833a6d27792.png

The next image is of what you see under the seat. Again, make sure all connections are tight and not producing slop in the movement. The nut and washer circled control the "drag" on the motion control cam. They should not be lubricated, and tightened just enough to prevent the whole motion control linkage from moving on it's own. Adjustments to this cam is covered in the owners manual.

link520-1.png.c80d44a05353d4dd07de77bab976c00b.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

shipo

you guys are awesome i will try some adjustments once i get the seal in today 

• Like 2

lynnmor
11 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Look at the image below. Areas in red circles are places where slop can occur. These areas need to be tight and not producing a lot of unnecessary movement. This is an important step in making the motion control work correctly. 

I have had the pin #65 work loose or fall out, just another place to look.

• Like 2

peter lena

@shipo  , even though not called for ,  https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=asc_df_B000UKUHXK?tag=bingshoppinga-  makes those dry worn areas , work easier . while not trying to start a war , don't hesitate to  add to a rusty , dragging spot , also a very good , throttle and choke cable lubricant . just an idea , pete

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS: slow reverse, are you pushing the handle down before pulling it back?

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

If your hydro isn't moving well forward or back take a look under the tunnel cover between your legs, Squirrels, mice or chipmunks will drag all sorts of stuff in there to build a nest and make it their winter home. That can prevent the linkage from moving as far as it should.

• Like 4

shipo

ok sorry for late responses. i got it adjusted up under the seat and foward stays up and reverse works great!. but its a bit jumpy now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
8 minutes ago, shipo said:

ok sorry for late responses. i got it adjusted up under the seat and foward stays up and reverse works great!. but its a bit jumpy now. 

My 416-H was jumpy. I fixed it by installing a "Matt's Foot Pedal" option. Not sure if he still makes them, but since installing, the whole motion control thing is 100% better. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
3 hours ago, shipo said:

its a bit jumpy now. 

Sounds like you have a good strong hydro, they can be "jumpy" if the motion lever isn't moved smoothly.  You might want to revisit the adjustment nut under the seat, if some small adjustments still result in jerky movement, then take it apart, sand the surfaces, clean well and reassemble.  I use a bit of grease or oil on all of the moving parts except the friction washers.

• Like 3

shipo

i believe i will  waiting on filters deck bearings and blades to get here. then get it out on the 1st mow and see if anymore adjustment needs to be made  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO :rs:!!!!

You will find all the help you need here !

You have discovered the Worlds Best Wheel Horse Forum !

I like the way you dig into a tractor !

I have a 1994 520H too !

70D56CD3-0372-4FF8-9066-AE44D280B0BB.jpeg

C4FB62E6-7745-4E65-8E22-90E61FDC8E41.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@lynnmor  like your emphasis on the detailing and small adjustments  on that unit. there is typically nothing that I  have encountered  on a horse related issue that could not use help . linkages are staring at you in a neglected / rusty  state . do you have to go to a book to be instructed on obvious issues ?  that super lube oil , that I  refer to is terrific in those areas .  also on neglected throttle and choke cables . pete

lynnmor
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

@lynnmor linkages are staring at you in a neglected / rusty  state . do you have to go to a book to be instructed on obvious issues ? 

The "book" has little to say about maintaining the linkage.  It comes down to common sense that metal to metal contact points should have some kind of lubrication.  Once a year I pull the seat, fender, console covers and fuel tank to clean it out and lube all moving joints.  The amount of debris that collects in there is unbelievable and rust will start if it stays moist.

• Like 4

Fishroe
On 5/14/2022 at 8:44 AM, rmaynard said:

The next image is of what you see under the seat. Again, make sure all connections are tight and not producing slop in the movement. The nut and washer circled control the "drag" on the motion control cam. They should not be lubricated, and tightened just enough to prevent the whole motion control linkage from moving on it's own. Adjustments to this cam is covered in the owners manual.

link520-1.png.c80d44a05353d4dd07de77bab976c00b.png

i lubed all that stuff on the cam plate.

Didn’t know I wasn’t suppose to

ill have to clean it off

my motion control lever is hard to find the neutral point. Maybe getting the grease off of it and snugging the nut just a tad might help it

what do Yal think 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Fishroe  thats easy , local hard ware store pull out drawer section , with Teflon washers or similar synthetic  ,  says no lubrication , but if you need to , super lube synthetic , oil or spray . verify all the linkage points are moving without hang-up . often related connections are adding drag or out of adjustment , looks like an interesting job , pete

lynnmor
35 minutes ago, Fishroe said:

i lubed all that stuff on the cam plate.

Didn’t know I wasn’t suppose to

ill have to clean it off

my motion control lever is hard to find the neutral point. Maybe getting the grease off of it and snugging the nut just a tad might help it

what do Yal think 

Notice that there are two #18 washers, one on each side of the cam plate.  Those washers can wear in a way that they are no longer flat, so you might want to remove them and either flip over or sand them flat.  While apart, clean the area well with parts cleaner.  Adjustments for neutral are on page 13 of this manual.

• Like 1

Handy Don

Supporting both @lynnmor and @Fishroe--getting the slop out of the linkages, to the extent you can, makes it a LOT easier to follow the neutral-setting procedure,

Bill D
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Supporting both @lynnmor and @Fishroe--getting the slop out of the linkages, to the extent you can, makes it a LOT easier to follow the neutral-setting procedure,

Does anyone have a copy of the neutral setting procedure?  Thanks.

• Like 1