Thompson1276

Gear starter engine swap from a starter generator engine

Thompson1276

I got a HH120 Tecumseh the ignition failed and for the parts is $700 in total if I want it out of box but I found a Kohler collector that has a K321 and k341 and the HH120 in it had a starter generator with a voltage regulator, and was wondering if these gear starter kohlers k series would work electrically i don’t care if I have to rewrite I can do that just need a little help maybe a diagram or a yes or no or yeah,

for a 67’ Sears Suburban 12 

761CADA8-1D78-4695-A1D0-650712A6CD14.jpeg

5E12B332-7FEC-437E-A314-FB025500F288.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Thompson1276 said:

HH120 Tecumseh the ignition failed and for the parts is $700 in total

Is think the Kohler would work ok but have you checked into @Ed Stoller 's YouTube channel?

There are ways around using OEM super expensive parts to repair the Tecumseh ignition.  

• Like 1

Thompson1276
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Is think the Kohler would work ok but have you checked into @Ed Stoller 's YouTube channel?

There are ways around using OEM super expensive parts to repair the Tecumseh ignition.  

I’m keeping the tecumseh but I just needed the sears to run now and figured if Imma use it to fix this ol dirt road I need a powerful cast iron peice to run it a little more than 12HP so I’ll save thee tecumseh and buy parts for it later and get it running and save it in case I need it or get another Sears 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Thompson1276 said:

I’m keeping the tecumseh but I just needed the sears to run now and figured if Imma use it to fix this ol dirt road I need a powerful cast iron peice to run it a little more than 12HP so I’ll save thee tecumseh and buy parts for it later and get it running and save it in case I need it or get another Sears 

Ahh I see. 

Seems a reasonable plan. 

So back to the original question....

Will a gear start Kohler engine work in place of a S/G Tecumseh.  

Well I don't see why not. 

I'm not familiar with the Sears setup as a whole or the Tecumseh S/G wiring harness so I can't say specifically how to wire it.  

My other questions...

Is the pricing on the K341 fair?

Does it run? Need ANY repairs?

Most importantly, does it fit where the Tecumseh HH120 is living?

I've got a couple K341s in C160s so I could get whatever pics and measurements you need.  

• Like 1

Thompson1276
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ahh I see. 

Seems a reasonable plan. 

I'm not familiar with the Sears setup as a whole or the Tecumseh S/G wiring harness so I can't say specifically how to wire it.  

My other questions...

I've got a couple K341s in C160s so I could get whatever pics and measurements you need.  

Yes it is it’s $500 it’s bored out for a pulling tractor but I’m just gonna use it to beat around so needed a strong engine , completely rebuilt top to bottom

• Like 2

Thompson1276
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ahh I see. 

Seems a reasonable plan. 

My other questions...

It’s a k341 and k321 and the k341 I chosen imma get its $550

• Like 1

953 nut

If the Tecumseh has a battery ignition and the Kohler also has a battery ignition system then the only difference would be a solid state voltage regulator for the charging system. If the Tecumseh is a magneto or solid state ignition (which I suspect it is) then there will be a slight bit of wiring to be altered and a new 103-990 ignition switch.

Give us a bit more information and we can come up with the drawings you'll need to pull this off.

• Like 1

Thompson1276
On 5/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, 953 nut said:

If the Tecumseh has a battery ignition and the Kohler also has a battery ignition system then the only difference would be a solid state voltage regulator for the charging system. If the Tecumseh is a magneto or solid state ignition (which I suspect it is) then there will be a slight bit of wiring to be altered and a new 103-990 ignition switch.

Give us a bit more information and we can come up with the drawings you'll need to pull this off.

The Tecumseh is a magneta and the Kohler is a points and condenser or solid state I don’t remember 

Handy Don

So likely you'll need he wiring changes and new ignition switch that @953 nut mentions.

pfrederi

If the Techy was a magneto or electronic and the Kohler is a breakerless no switch change needed.

• Like 1

Searcher60
On 5/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, pfrederi said:

If the Techy was a magneto or electronic and the Kohler is a breakerless no switch change needed.

Would you check you messages, I send you a message? Thanks!