snowhound

Ignition switch dilemma

snowhound

I have a 310-8 (1986)  and a 417-8 that previous owners did some creative wiring on.  I have the wiring diagrams for them and both and they show ignition switches with 5 posts labeled S,I, A,R,B but the switches I took out have 5 posts labeled M,S,L,G,B.  Are they the wrong switches or do I have the wrong diagrams?

Handy Don

The diagram's contacts are for an engine with a coil (the switch supplies power to the coil to start or run and cuts it off to stop the engine):

Start - connects to the starter solenoid

Ignition - connects to the coil (via safety switches) so it can generate sparks 

Accessory - 12v DC to lights, gauges, etc. 

Regulator/Rectifier - Connects to the source of generated by the engine (not always used in WH wiring) 

Battery - connects to the battery

Your switch's contacts are for an engine with a magneto (the switch allows the magneto to generate sparks to start or run but grounds it to stop the engine):

Magneto - connects to the magneto, the source of power for the spark

Start - connects to the starter solenoid 

Lights - similar to Accessory, though this can be alternating current on some engines 

Ground - connects to the tractor's ground to the switch, i.e. the battery negative terminal

Battery - connects to the battery's positive terminal 

Unless the engines have been changed, the specs are that the 417 and 310 engines have coils so both switches seems to be wrong. Did/do the tractors run with those switches installed?

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

May I make a correction?

Magneto - connects to the magneto. Magneto's are self powered. The M terminal simply grounds the magneto to shut it off. Do not allow any battery power into this magneto wire. That will release the magic smoke.

• Like 4

Handy Don
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

May I make a correction?

Magneto - connects to the magneto. Magneto's are self powered. The M terminal simply grounds the magneto to shut it off. Do not allow any battery power into this magneto wire. That will release the magic smoke.

Yes, this is important thanks. @snowhound, I was focussed only on differentiating the two switch types.

Edited by Handy Don

953 nut

Is your 310-8 equipped with a Magnum engine?

Here are a couple of threads that should be helpful. Neither one is for your specific tractor, both are general information.

snowhound

It does have a Magmun engine.  Please bare with me I haven't any knowledge of  magnetos.  If there is a magneto is there a coil and condenser? 

tunahead72
23 hours ago, snowhound said:

I have a 310-8 (1986) ...

3 hours ago, snowhound said:

It does have a Magmun engine...

If your 310-8 has a Magnum engine, then it's not a 1986 model, but 1987 or later (the '86 came from the factory with a Kohler K-241 engine).  Unless somebody replaced the engine at some point.

I'll let others more qualified answer the harder electrical questions, but short answer...  With the Magnum and magneto ignition, there is no coil/points/condenser.

snowhound

Tunahead72, Yes if it had a magunm it wouldn't be a 1986 I had just come in from working on my 416-8 with a magumn engine and mistakenly said the 310 had a magumn.  Thank you for the information and I apologize for the misinformation. 

• Thanks 1

Handy Don

Hi.

Pretty sure you already understand this but just in case... 

The simplest way to identify coil vs. magneto is to start at the spark plug and follow the wire.

If it goes into the top of a cylindrical gadget mounted on or near the engine that has other wires attached, it's a coil engine.

If it goes behind the engine covers somewhere near the flywheel, it's a magneto engine.

Both kinds of engines have points, but they work differently.

• Like 1