CodyP

engaged the tractor to high 1 instead of low 1 while off

CodyP

Yesterday I was moving bricks with my yard trailer and little red I thought I had it in low 1 and idled down so I could walk next to it and add bricks but when I let off the clutch pedal it was in high instead so when it took off I ran after her hopped on but my clutch pedals codder pin broke in half so my clutch was falling the opposite way towards me so I pressed the clutch pedal down and threw her in neutral I am thankful for quickly thinking I almost broke the neighbor's fence and ran into my trucks but I'm thankful I just greased the steering because she was sticking bad before and the tractor would not have had time to react and I'm also thankful for thinking to press the clutch down because at first I had no clue what was going on but I accessed the situation and acted accordingly just glad it wasn't worse and btw I have several codders laying around so it's fixed I picked a thicker pin 

• Sad 4

rmaynard

Yikes! that could have been really bad if you were in hi/3rd. Reminds me of when I was at the Wheel Horse collectors club show with my newly restored 701. No parking brake. I put it in neutral and proceeded to climb off when the bottom of my pant leg of my shorts caught the gear shift lever and pulled it into gear. Quick reflexes saved a few other tractors.

Glad all ended well for you.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 5

JoeM
53 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

if you were in hi/3rd

It was a few months ago shuffling one out of the shed doing like Cody, I would put it in low / 3, just above idle and walk alongside then pop it into neutral. It was in high and the governor kicked in, off like a shot and high centered on a pile of deck parts. Glad the parts were there or it would have ended up at the neighbors.

Just a bonehead move. 

• Like 3

8ntruck

One of the tidbits I try to pass on to the kids on the high school robotics team I mentor probably apply here.

Knowledge is learning from your mistakes.  Wisdom is learning from other's mistakes.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Achto

No one ever thinks of it but - Shutting the key switch off in a bad situation works well too.:thumbs2:

• Like 4

ri702bill

It kind of makes you wonder how many 502, 603, 704 and other rope start tractor owners have gotten run over in the past by not having the shifter in neutral and attempting to start them...

• Like 1

8ntruck
11 hours ago, Achto said:

No one ever thinks of it but - Shutting the key switch off in a bad situation works well too.:thumbs2:

That is always something to keep in mind.  Long time ago, I had a Chevy Monza with a 350 in it.  I replaced the smogger heads with a set of camel backs, swapped in a 327, 350 horse cam, performance intake, 4 barrel, and headers.  Was out blowing the gunk out of it one day and I backed off the throttle, and it didn't close!  I put my foot on the brake and shut the ignition off and coasted to the side of the road.  Turns out that one of the spark plug wires got tangled up in the carb linkage and was holding the secondaries about 2/3 open.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Sad 2

ri702bill
24 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Turns out that one of the spark plug wires got tangled up in the carb linkage and was holding the secondaries about 2/3 open.

Yee-hah, strap in and enjoy the ride. Years ago, I was in the back seat of a 1965 Malibu SS 4 speed going up an on ramp - a friend was driving and the gas was stuck to the floor - he power shifted up thru 4th - at the top of the long ramp we were doing about 110 when he decided to shut it off. Memorable, for sure...

Bill

wallfish
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

It kind of makes you wonder how many 502, 603, 704 and other rope start tractor owners have gotten run over in the past by not having the shifter in neutral and attempting to start them...

No worries for those techy powered tractors :ychain: Now I know why they used those engines, built in safety feature

tenor.gif.90a8256c3ee76811ca9af980cf18bb73.gif

• Haha 6

stevasaurus

So, it's you guys that are responsible for OSHA and shut off switches under the seat.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 6

SylvanLakeWH

I incorporated Tesla’s new driverless system…

:hide:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

rmaynard
22 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

That is always something to keep in mind.  Long time ago, I had a Chevy Monza with a 350 in it.  I replaced the smogger heads with a set of camel backs, swapped in a 327, 350 horse cam, performance intake, 4 barrel, and headers.  Was out blowing the gunk out of it one day and I backed off the throttle, and it didn't close!  I put my foot on the brake and shut the ignition off and coasted to the side of the road.  Turns out that one of the spark plug wires got tangled up in the carb linkage and was holding the secondaries about 2/3 open.

Kind of reminds me of back around 2009? when people claimed that their Toyota's suddenly accelerated when they put on the brake. 

Edited by rmaynard