Dan.gerous

C125 battery holder

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Dan.gerous said:

Mine have a plastic bottom, but the batteries are too big for the platform anyway

Oh, I see. My bad. :music-rockout:

Don

• Haha 1

Stormin
22 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Evening/morning

Just a quick one, does anyone have a photo of the way the battery in a C125 is secured? All 3 of mine are bodge jobs, wire, bailing twine and bungee.

Did a search on here and a result came up from 2008 but the pictures are missing :-(

Thanks in advance 👍

Next time your in Carlisle, Dan, pop into Holfords. They sell battery clamps. They are what I use. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
45 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Next time your in Carlisle, Dan, pop into Holfords. They sell battery clamps. They are what I use. :handgestures-thumbup:

The most annoying part is I actually found most of one in my parts collection!

It's ok though as have two more to build anyway.

Will be in Dumfries in the morning so might have a look in Halfords - they might have some of the other bits mentioned above.

gwest_ca

You do not have to use a 2-wire regulator like you have. Looking at the connector you will see a jumper wire connecting one of the AC wires to the DC+ output wire.

A 3-wire regulator will plug in and work. Just make sure the two AC wires go to AC terminals on the regulator. It does not matter which AC wire goes to what AC terminal.

The other color is the DC+ output to the battery.

The aluminum body of the regulator needs to be grounded. We usually add a ground wire to one of the mounting bolts.

These large finned 15 amp regulators are usually less expensive because of supply and demand. They are very popular

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
On 5/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous  grounding is a major issue on horses , converted all mine over to a main line grounding set up . add another battery cable , from your battery ground bolt point , behind dash , to corner of engine / frame , next to clutch pedal , use serrated washers and dielectric grease , at every bolt point , from there , use 10-12 ga wire to engine charging rectifier area , and on to headlights . also run 10-12 ga wire directly back to behind dash / gauge area . that simple grounding enhancement , has eliminated erratic  wire issues I had . if you have a single alligator clip heavy ga wire made up , you can easily verify this gain , with clip on . thats what I  did . pete

Added earth from earth clamp on dashboard down to the shaker plate. Has the grippy washers

Starts now, hard to say if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt!

Now it won't run without choke, guess must be **** in carb - it has been sat a while.

20220503_153828.jpg

20220503_153814.jpg

Dan.gerous

Double post

Edited by Dan.gerous

peter lena

@Dan.gerous glad you did that , that added cable , is so easy to do , once I saw improvement , basically the constant function of related electrical hook ups. my headlights are  very bright , and my amperage gauge is regularly charging .    that fuel filter looks like its over due for a clean swap , would also pull the fuel bowl on carb , that choke usage is telling you something , regularly use a gas treatment  to help carb, ever pull that fuel tank bottom valve ?  that valve is like 6 $  , used dielectric grease on the tank grommet for easier  , installation,  thanks for the feed back , good talking ,  pete

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous glad you did that , that added cable , is so easy to do , once I saw improvement , basically the constant function of related electrical hook ups. my headlights are  very bright , and my amperage gauge is regularly charging .    that fuel filter looks like its over due for a clean swap , would also pull the fuel bowl on carb , that choke usage is telling you something , regularly use a gas treatment  to help carb, ever pull that fuel tank bottom valve ?  that valve is like 6 $  , used dielectric grease on the tank grommet for easier  , installation,  thanks for the feed back , good talking ,  pete

Yes a very simple improvement to make.

I think there is a fuel filter in the shed so will dump that old one.

Thanks again for the advice, will let you know how the fueling goes. 👍

Jeff-C175

I made this one outta some rod and a small piece of angle welded to it:

image.png.f3947057c598b105902a0343d5366b2c.png     image.png.26705ecd48bff03ad638e580b39d162d.png      

Holds the battery down AND back against the stop tab.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I made this one outta some rod and a small piece of angle welded to it:

image.png.f3947057c598b105902a0343d5366b2c.png     image.png.26705ecd48bff03ad638e580b39d162d.png      

Holds the battery down AND back against the stop tab.

Thats what I went with in the end, very sturdy and simple to make.

• Excellent 2

Dan.gerous
22 hours ago, peter lena said:

New fuel line, tap and filter - still needs choke so will get carb off next.

20220504_155049.jpg

20220504_155104.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don
55 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

20220504_155104.jpg

You may want to put rear axle seals on your eventual to-do list, as well!

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Dan.gerous  good for you dan !  as you are finding out you are gaining on solid running and reliability , notice those rusty / crusty " movement areas "  ? aerosol lubrication or grease will make them work without effort . how did that tank grommet  work out for you ?glad you did it  !  you might be  over there , but your response  , is like you are right here !  battery set up looks good . now yo can also add a ground to your ignition rectifier  on engine cooling tin , and also on to headlights . just take it off of the added cable bolt point . that really helped out my electrical issues .  stay on it , ask away ,  good job , pete  

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Yikes!

That would appear to be the problem, all cleaned out and new rubber seals on.

Runs like a dream!!!! So excited that I mowed all the lawns once getting it all back together. :-) :-) :-)

20220504_155929.jpg

• Excellent 2

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

You may want to put rear axle seals on your eventual to-do list, as well!

Yes for sure.

4 of my 5 horses need that job, be on the short list.

There is a nail holding the clutch on this particular machine...

• Haha 1

Dan.gerous

Had to squeeze it into the Oranjerie as a present for doing such a good job. 

I hand mowed the lawn the other day and it took hours. 40 year old machine did it in 15 minutes - just a rough job though to check everything is working.

20220504_181914.jpg

20220504_181929.jpg

20220504_181938.jpg

20220504_182103.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

Primer bulbs help if tractor stands for a while, Dan. And that shed/greenhouse whatever is the dogs whatsits. :notworthy:

BTW. You been putting weight on. :D

20220504_155104.jpg.a1e101b24c5b9ddfeb61b5134575f1f2.jpg

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

Dan.gerous
13 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Primer bulbs help if tractor stands for a while, Dan. And that shed/greenhouse whatever is the dogs whatsits. :notworthy:

BTW. You been putting weight on. :D

20220504_155104.jpg.a1e101b24c5b9ddfeb61b5134575f1f2.jpg

Yeah the bulbs are good, although my last Chinese one perished after about a year  - get what you pay for I guess.

I'm really chuffed with the Greenhouse, be a nice legacy to leave from our time at Floors Farm. 

Nope I'm still a 10 1/2 stone whippet, too busy to get fat!!

We will be half an hour closer to being neighbours as back just outside Dumfries at the next Farm.

Dan.gerous
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous  good for you dan !  as you are finding out you are gaining on solid running and reliability , notice those rusty / crusty " movement areas "  ? aerosol lubrication or grease will make them work without effort . how did that tank grommet  work out for you ?glad you did it  !  you might be  over there , but your response  , is like you are right here !  battery set up looks good . now yo can also add a ground to your ignition rectifier  on engine cooling tin , and also on to headlights . just take it off of the added cable bolt point . that really helped out my electrical issues .  stay on it , ask away ,  good job , pete  

Thanks Peter, it's great having all the help  - I often miss the obvious.

Grommet went in no problem at all. The old tap looked pretty bad inside, good call to replace.

Will give the machine a good grease up when I get home, its been sat for several years waiting attention, sadly I'm out of time now. Can't wait to leave my job and work at home!

• Like 1

peter lena

@Dan.gerous  no problem dan ,  very often spot something hiding in plane sight.  yes those tanks can collect a lot of debris , and its obvious your fuel bowl  picked up a lot of it , I  usually 2 fuel filters on my horses , 1 close to tank  the other close to carb , that combo stopped all the  junk in my set up . keep your interest going , you have already eliminated a number of  problems . keep in touch , pete

• Like 1

Stormin
19 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

I'm really chuffed with the Greenhouse, be a nice legacy to leave from our time at Floors Farm. 

I've been wondering about that from something you said earlier. Shame after all the work you've and yours have put in there.

We will be half an hour closer to being neighbours as back just outside Dumfries at the next Farm.

Where abouts?

Dan.gerous
7 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous  no problem dan ,  very often spot something hiding in plane sight.  yes those tanks can collect a lot of debris , and its obvious your fuel bowl  picked up a lot of it , I  usually 2 fuel filters on my horses , 1 close to tank  the other close to carb , that combo stopped all the  junk in my set up . keep your interest going , you have already eliminated a number of  problems . keep in touch , pete

2 weeks and be home again to keep at it. It's very satisfying and I hate the state the poor old girls are in at the moment.

Going to take a set of wheels to work so I can strip them back in my down time.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Dan.gerous   just thought of you getting a  "   packing puller "  to use on the rear axel seals , only need to drill a small hole in seal side edge , to screw in and pull out seal , makes this job much easier , look it up on line , another thing, use this time before those seal replacements , to get some aerosol  penetrant working on related set screws and rocker key way areas , would lightly tap areas with hammer , that penetrant will start the rust run out , just keep it wet and loosen what you can  , when I  did that , my hub areas were no problem .  pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH  anther area of detailing  that should be done is use a BOTTOM TAP  on all related , threaded points , ensuring total thread strength and function , use a cutting oil , that packing puller , is the tool for that job , use dielectric grease on the seal rubber , ensures smooth operation ,  just my experience .  pete

• Like 2

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous   just thought of you getting a  "   packing puller "  to use on the rear axel seals , only need to drill a small hole in seal side edge , to screw in and pull out seal , makes this job much easier , look it up on line , another thing, use this time before those seal replacements , to get some aerosol  penetrant working on related set screws and rocker key way areas , would lightly tap areas with hammer , that penetrant will start the rust run out , just keep it wet and loosen what you can  , when I  did that , my hub areas were no problem .  pete

Good idea, three of them are sitting about non running anyway so I should get started on the penetrant, can train the girls up to spray it on while I am away.

With the packing puller, do you mean drill into the rubber (?) seal and use something like a pick to pull it out?

image.jpeg.798668a1b79d84d83a10121bf02a12b5.jpeg