JCM

What will happen to them when we are done

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

A couple of members here have already started that process, get in line and be patient. I may be getting older but I ain't ready to give up my toys yet!

I hear ya… there will be plenty of qualified recipients of your toys.

And we definitely don’t want to rush anything…

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

ri702bill
On 4/29/2022 at 12:15 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

Well... maybe a SBC at redline !

Yeah, Jeff. Been there, done that. Built a .030 over LT1 350 back in 1975 - the last "animal" motor to go into my '57. Used a Crane ZIP-510-NC cam - .510 lift solid lifter style with a recommended shift point of 7800 RPM and redline at 8000. Had to take all the toys to a specialty machine shop in southeast Massachusetts, as they were at the time, the only "local" shop equipped to bore an engine block using torqued deck plates to pre-stress the block. This shop was used to building 9000 RPM SBC motors for Econorails - the foreman asked me why I chose such a wimpy cam!! You are right - quite the feeling dumping the clutch and shifting at 7800!!.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

ohiofarmer

I am interested in this as well. Close call with some sort of virus or other got me thinking.  I look at my wife's nephew who i helped with a rental house, and we can count on each other when we cannot do stuff on our own. he is much more organized than I , and would be a good caretaker. Just today, we became co-owners of a sweet looking ford F250 from 1991, Might be a longer restoration getting the engine sorted, but the rest of the truck is a time capsule

I would trust him to sell off the horde and return part of it to my wife. We are helping out each other with old sporting goods in short supply by trading back and forth items to make stuff useable. We share a hobby in old motorcycles that have more than tripled in price in maybe 8 years,  I need him to experience a wheel horse just to see how great they are..So maybe a ten or 12 hP with a 42" SD needs to find its way to his house.

• Like 4

balconio

the guy i bought both my WH from was VERY sad to see them go... he bought one new in 1988 and the other used in the mid 90's and put a couple thousand hours between the 2. He kept fanatical records of every part and service he ever did, he obviously loved them a lot. He was upgrading to a JD SCUT and his wife made him sell the Horses. he asked me to, and i kept in touch with him for the better part of 3 years, sending updates and pictures of fixes/mods/and work i was doing with them.

i felt he gave me a decent deal, and i wanted him to know they were going to a good home. that's the best we could hope for really when the day comes to thin the herd...

Edited by balconio
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, balconio said:

his wife made him sell the Horses

I wonder how she "made him" ?

That would NOT happen at this Ponderosa!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

I wonder how she "made him" ?

That would NOT happen at this Ponderosa!

Not all spouses are created equal. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

If it meant that much to my spouse that she would insist I divest the tractors, I'd accept it with regret.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

If it meant that much to my spouse that she would insist I divest the tractors, I'd accept it with regret.

I'd either get a VERY good and mutually agreeable explanation or I'd be divesting the spouse. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

A Haiku 

Wheel Horses are red

Not all spouses understand 

Teach her to paint red

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

Ifixoldjunk

I’m still a relatively young guy, but I can’t say the thought hasn’t crossed my head. I believe that for antiques in general we are never truly the owners, just the caretakers.

If anything we’re to happen to me, I know that as of right now my teenage brother would take care of my stuff. All the old tools, saws and tractors would be in safe hands.

for me though, as long as the equipment finds it’s way to a nice home I don’t care where it ends up. The tools are my concern. My tools are the result of generations of mechanics in my family. Every socket has a story longer than most people have been alive.

hopefully one day I’ll have a son or daughter I’ll be able to teach to work on there own stuff. And hopefully they’ll be able to hold on to the family tools. Everything else can move onto good homes. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

ohiofarmer
11 hours ago, Ifixoldjunk said:

I’m still a relatively young guy, but I can’t say the thought hasn’t crossed my head. I believe that for antiques in general we are never truly the owners, just the caretakers.

If anything we’re to happen to me, I know that as of right now my teenage brother would take care of my stuff. All the old tools, saws and tractors would be in safe hands.

for me though, as long as the equipment finds it’s way to a nice home I don’t care where it ends up. The tools are my concern. My tools are the result of generations of mechanics in my family. Every socket has a story longer than most people have been alive.

hopefully one day I’ll have a son or daughter I’ll be able to teach to work on there own stuff. And hopefully they’ll be able to hold on to the family tools. Everything else can move onto good homes. 

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

I would say that if all else fails that you find a guy on this very forum who shows dedication to your own philosophy and visit him at his Wheelhorse man cave. That visit will  tell you all you want to know.about whether or not he will keep the old iron going.. I have plenty to work on at this time and if i find one to buy,it would be for a friend or relative.

Even if your unfinished stuff is pretty much part-out quality, I think I would sell mine to the vendor on this very forum who serves us. So in a way, its like an organ donation for the life of this forum.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
On 4/28/2022 at 6:23 AM, 953 nut said:

I have told my wife that when I check out she should post the news of my demise here on Red Square and let everything go to whoever wants it, free for the taking.

My words to her  exactly since odds are pretty good I'm gonna croak before her.  @Achto gets pick of the litter  if he can come up with room at the inn. :lol:

She didn't quite see my logic tho. She is more interested in recouping $$ I have sunk into tractors. Second thought was having the horses & parts hauled out to PA for an auction. Possibly at the BS? with a portion to be donated to WHCC. If they don't find a good home there all hope is lost!  

That went over a little better.

Rest of my crap I don't care I'll be dead. 

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
On 4/30/2022 at 6:40 AM, c-series don said:

I’m not even dead yet and guys here are claiming dibs on my planter, my Reo RR-46 and LSE😂😂

What!?!? Who?? When ?? where?? not me !!!! .... well ok maybe the planter & RR......... I'd take the work horse & 161 too you was to kick it outta bed....:lol:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

What!?!? Who?? When ?? where?? not me !!!! .... well ok maybe the planter & RR......... I'd take the work horse & 161 too you was to kick it outta bed....:lol:

Another fine example of how helpful we all are to each other

• Haha 4

c-series don

@WHX?? @ebinmaine I know, I know you guys are just trying to help me out 🤔😂😂😂

• Haha 4

EB-80/8inPA
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Another fine example of how helpful we all are to each other

Real pillars of the community.  Or would that be pillagers?

• Haha 6

sjoemie himself
On 5/11/2022 at 6:48 PM, doc724 said:

The older generation who really appreciates these fine machines are departing

Thanks for sharing your story.

To potentially brighten up your day.. i'm 'only' 35 years young and I can appreciate machines like Wheel Horse, but also other examples of (agricultural) engineering very much.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but I would rather teach my kids how to drive a tractor or other motorized vehicle or teach them how to fix stuff than to teach them how to play *insert random game* on their iPad or computer..

On the other hand, i'm not going to force anything on them. They should grow up how they are and not like a mini-me. So I hope they take over my interests (and maybe my stuff) but that's up to them. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Real pillars of the community.  Or would that be pillagers?

Yes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
On 5/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

WANTED: A good woman that loves and owns Wheel Horse machines for a relationship, possibly marriage.

SEND PHOTOS OF THE WHEEL HORSES.

Showed this to the BBT. 

She was particularly entertained by the bottom line.  

😂

• Haha 2

Snoopy11
On 5/10/2022 at 8:47 PM, balconio said:

mint condition 90's Ford Ranger with the 3.0L v6

Hmm... dat sounds familiar...

100_1732.JPG.da628933d1516fb0dcb2393d09f5ed19.JPG

100_1731.JPG.305b2db0081c923e2047070d7d5b8b0e.JPG

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2