JCM

What will happen to them when we are done

Retired Wrencher
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

Except maybe a Kohler 16 at idle.  I happen to like the sound of a Briggs boxer twin at idle, but I'm weird.😁

I still like the Start/Gen the best for this. 

• Like 5

EB-80/8inPA
14 hours ago, lynnmor said:

What do you think will happen to that market in the not so distant future?

Well I’m glad I can enjoy them per se, because now I’m starting to question their potential as an inflationary hedge, lolz.

:banana-parachute:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Well I’m glad I can enjoy them per se, because now I’m starting to question their potential as an inflationary hedge, lolz.

:banana-parachute:

Inflation hedges? Never thought of that. lol

• Like 2

8ntruck
10 hours ago, Bill D said:

Except maybe a Kohler 16 at idle.  I happen to like the sound of a Briggs boxer twin at idle, but I'm weird.😁

I had one of those Briggs boxer twins a while back.  It did have a nice sound at idle.

Then again, I was watching an old episode of My Classic Car the other night.  They were featuring a track day for vintage race cars.  One of them was a late 60s Ferrari F1 car - the V12 with ice cube sized positions.  Incredible sound as it accelerated out of the pits.

• Like 3

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Then again, I was watching an old episode of My Classic Car the other night.  They were featuring a track day for vintage race cars.  One of them was a late 60s Ferrari F1 car - the V12 with ice cube sized positions.  Incredible sound as it accelerated out of the pits.

For a really interesting day, visit any "track day" for the Antique Sports Car Club of America. Quite fascinating seeing cars worth millions being run pretty aggressively. At one event at Lime Rock, Connecticut, I was asked to step over and help push a car back onto its trailer. After commenting to my friend "what a nice looking car" he replied, "oughta be, it's worth about six million!"

My favorite was an early 1950's MG sporting a plate that read "Any bits falling off this vehicle are of the finest British craftsmanship"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
On 4/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, JCM said:

Have any of you thought about what you would do with your collection of WH tractors be it one or many when the day comes that it is time to thin things out ? I know for myself I am not looking forward to it. Finally, which model would be the last to go.

I don't bring it up very often and most of you probably don't even realize... I do have two kids.... That I am estranged from, by my choice.. I do have a Will, and they are not in it.

If I croak before Trina, or vice versa, the surviving crazy person gets the physical items of the other crazy person.

🤪

If we both croak, her daughter and soon-to-be husband get everything. At that point it becomes their problem. 😀

@JCM Jim I want you to know, in all seriousness, if something happens to you and Trina and I are still around, you have your Ball And Chain get a hold of my Ball And Chain and we'll do our best to take care of whatever needs be done. 

Now, as to which tractor would be the last to go?

Well I just don't think I could narrow that down at this point in time.

If I had to choose ONE it would certainly be a C160. 

• Like 6

JCM
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@JCM Jim I want you to know, in all seriousness, if something happens to you and Trina and I are still around, you have your Ball And Chain get a hold of my Ball And Chain and we'll do our best to take care of whatever needs be done. 

Now, as to which tractor would be the last to go?

Well I just don't think I could narrow that down at this point in time.

If I had to choose ONE it would certainly be a C160. 

For me the last one to go would be the 89   312-8, the only one I bought new. I guess you could say we are attached at the hip.

P1012400.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

pfrederi

I have the L107 my father bought new in May 1967.  i still have the original engine on the shelf it was removed so we could get him one with ACR an HH70 (he was too frugal for electric start).  I still use her all the time as a chore tractor. I have accumulated a NOS 32"deck, got a snow plow and snow blower as well as WH trailer..  Still have the original WH labeled front tires (stored out of the weather  as well as original WH rears...) also sales receipt and manuals..  I have no rug rats but always thought I would pass it to one of his grand kids (who are in there late 50s now)  none of them seem interested. so i thought about his great-grand kids who are in their late 20-early 30s.  None of them live with a yard or are interested... I will not be around for the great-great grand kids so I just keep using her and think of Father.  Not sure what to do when i can't keep it any more.:(

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

L107

The BBT would steward that for ya bub. 

Maybe a local historical society or tractor club?

• Like 2

Sailman

My dad was last parent to pass away. Brother and 2 sisters and I took turns choosing which of the tools, antiques and keepsakes we wanted by rotating who got first choice of selected groupings (based on desirability). Worked well with a few extras the grand kids wanted. The rest went on auction at the farm as way too much stuff to keep up with. 

I intend for my sweetie to do the same. Let the family choose what they want in a fair orderly way and then sell the rest....

Grand kids will all likely claim the "ponies".

as for last one to go by my choice....Definitely the C-160 Hydro with hydro lift.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
On 4/28/2022 at 7:23 AM, 953 nut said:

Well said Joe.

I have told my wife that when I check out she should post the news of my demise here on Red Square and let everything go to whoever wants it, free for the taking. The value on most of it is the pleasure I've gotten from it and the love it will receive from another Horse-A-Holic.  There is plenty to go around and if it were auctioned at a local auction it wouldn't bring a tremendous amount of money and no one would know what the odd pile of parts in the corner or on the shelf is but folks here would.

Can we call dibs ?… :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHGuy413

This is something I’ve thought about numerous times even at the age of 35. I’m hopeful with how much Alex is into them now and hopefully his brother comes back around that they will take good care of them. I have made it clear to my girlfriend and my parents the kids get the tractors if anything happens.

• Like 6

ebinmaine
Just now, WHGuy413 said:

. I have made it clear to my girlfriend and my parents the kids get the tractors if anything happens.

FYI. 

You live in Mass as I once did. 

GET A WILL. 

Minors/children have no bearing on the decisions of the court. 

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

WHGuy413
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

FYI. 

You live in Mass as I once did. 

GET A WILL. 

Minors/children have no bearing on the decisions of the court. 

That’s been on my mind too. I definitely need to do that.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

That’s been on my mind too. I definitely need to do that.

Similar rules here in Maine. 

I had one drawn up. 

It's not negative. 

It's not morbid. 

It's good planning. 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

ri702bill
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It's good planning. 

And that folks, says it all ....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A couple of members here have already started that process, get in line and be patient. I may be getting older but I ain't ready to give up my toys yet!

Good one Rich.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

GET A WILL.

Yes!   My brother had no will and I am the last member of the family so I had to petition the courts to become the administrator of his estate. He had made promises and indications of his wishes to several of our cousins and myself but never put anything in writing. I don't have the wisdom of Solomon and spent countless hours going through a disorganised pile of papers to attempt to meet his wishes. With the aid of my cousins we distributed his assets in an equitable manner once the debts were settled. 

Long story made short, have a will and a letter of instruction (updated as things change) about how you would like to see your stuff distributed so that everyone will know that the executor/administrator is carrying out your wishes. Don't put that burden on others. They will have enough to take care of without having to guess what you may have wanted to do.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 6

c-series don

I’m not even dead yet and guys here are claiming dibs on my planter, my Reo RR-46 and LSE😂😂

• Haha 9

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I’m not even dead yet and guys here are claiming dibs on my planter, my Reo RR-46 and LSE😂😂

That planter is cool and all but I'm willing to settle for a nice mid 70s 16 horse. 🤪

• Haha 7

c-series don

@ebinmaineI’m sorry most of those are late 70’s so you’re probably not interested.

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
Just now, c-series don said:

@ebinmaineI’m sorry most of those are late 70’s so you’re probably not interested.

No no. You're ok. 

The 76/77 C160 Automatic is absolutely acceptable. 

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5