JCM

What will happen to them when we are done

JCM

Have any of you thought about what you would do with your collection of WH tractors be it one or many when the day comes that it is time to thin things out ? I know for myself I am not looking forward to it. Finally, which model would be the last to go.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Daddy Don

This is a great way to let each person chose what they want. Great Ideal

This is the way I think now how I will let my things go when it is time for me to go. 

Thanks for the information.

• Like 5

mrc

what are you trying to say?  you mean you really cannot take it all with you LOL! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

ri702bill
15 hours ago, JCM said:

which model would be the last to go.

For me, that is a no-brainer. Dad's 1962 702 that has been in the family since 1965 - a tried and true "working girl" - used all four seasons for over 30 years by Dad...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Retired Wrencher

I have no one yet? to leave to. So will probably have an estate sale with all the tractor-tools over the last 50 years myself have been collecting. It has been a good time doing this hobby and with all whom I met along the way. Senior and rookies.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

and no one would know what the odd pile of parts in the corner or on the shelf is but folks here would.

It just bothers me that someone could send that pile of rusty gold off to the scrap yard for pennies on the pound...

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

SylvanLakeWH

You have given me inspiration to contemplate the inevitable… while we’ve planned for the “estate” in the normal fashion, the :wh:‘s and the SL&WHN RR in particular are unique, but of limited “value” in the eyes of auction houses and the general public.

I kinda like @953 nut’s idea. Post the obit here and pass them on to folks who will appreciate, keep them going and use them… :eusa-think:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

rjg854

I told the wife once I'm gone, "have an auction and sell everything".  There's just no way she can handle this place on her own.  And use whatever is there to make herself comfortable some place she can enjoy whatever time she has left.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 7

ri702bill
7 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

and would help her get rid of all my "junk" as my mother in law calls it lol

However - if it were spelled "junque", she may realize it is worth a fortune to the right folks ....

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

...some folks see rusty metal, those who know better see it as potential to run again. There is NOTHING in the world that can compare to the sound of a 7 or 8 HP Kohler at idle...

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

So while I'm typing, the song "Who'se gonna fill their shoes" by "The Possum", the late, great George Jones starts to rattle around in my head...with a new meaning.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor

"What will happen to them when we are done"Look at what is happening at your local antique stores to see what appreciation the younger crowds have for old things.  While I don't want to paint the situation with too broad a brush, but I think we need to look around and see how many give a rats petoot.  For example, we have a very large collection of peanut putter glasses and go to auctions where they are advertised. Last Saturday they sold 500 one at a time, it took almost 6 hours, there were about 30 bidders there and all were geezers.  What do you think will happen to that market in the not so distant future?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Bill D
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

...some folks see rusty metal, those who know better see it as potential to run again. There is NOTHING in the world that can compare to the sound of a 7 or 8 HP Kohler at idle...

Except maybe a Kohler 16 at idle.  I happen to like the sound of a Briggs boxer twin at idle, but I'm weird.😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

There is NOTHING in the world that can compare to the sound of a 7 or 8 HP Kohler at idle...

Well... maybe a SBC at redline !  :text-lol:

What I wanna know is:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
22 hours ago, squonk said:

My son has no need for a tractor as his lawn can be cut with a pair of scissors. My C-160 would be the last to go as long as I'm around. The tractors would have to be sold off as I would want  my wife to get something out of putting up with my hobbies over the years. All of my extra parts will go to the closest surviving WH guy that wants all of it. 

Good post Mike.

• Like 5