OoPEZoO

Yup…..what he said.  I develop brushless DC motor controllers for a living.  I was trying to understand if the motor was straight DC, or if it was brushless, and then if it needed a separate motor controller or had one built in. I did not realize you could source such large brushed DC motors like that so easily.  Certainly makes things easier. 

What is the plan for batteries?  

Evguy

While waiting on my thrust bearing I fabricated a plate to mount the motor.

I still need to install more support, put motor on plate and finalize location before drilling and bolting to frame.

Charginghorse.blogspot.com

E4834DEE-A2C2-4C9E-85A1-D00DDDA1D6B3.jpeg

67B11332-6F62-4FCF-8EB1-9AAF07550538.jpeg

Edited by Evguy
  • Excellent 1

Evguy
21 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

Yup…..what he said.  I develop brushless DC motor controllers for a living.  I was trying to understand if the motor was straight DC, or if it was brushless, and then if it needed a separate motor controller or had one built in. I did not realize you could source such large brushed DC motors like that so easily.  Certainly makes things easier. 

What is the plan for batteries?  

I’m using lithium batteries from one of the electric cars I took out of service, 16 100ah on the bottom. Plan is to add another 32 40 ah to top from electric motorcycle build. Smaller batteries in parallel for 80ah. I’m going to use a/b switch rather than connect dissimilar batteries.

Jeff-C175
10 hours ago, Evguy said:

pulse width modulated

Which, in my opinion, and in the strictest sense of the definition of "direct current" is no longer DC.  

Throw a PWM into the soup and you need a new name for it.

If you look at PWM DC without a ground reference it could be thought of as "alternating".

Also, if you view with reference to ground, PWM DC does in fact "alternate", between zero and full with the pulse width (duty cycle) varying.

@OoPEZoO

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

Evguy

I got knocked in the dirt with Covid? Or something so little progress. Didn’t feel like doing much. I did order a variety of safety switches to keep things safe, at least in neutral and blades off, possibly a seat occupied switch.

I got some bearings in for PTO axial loads, the one I preferred was too thick, I made some others work but fear they won’t last. They are inexpensive so swapping them out won’t be bad. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Evguy said:

got knocked in the dirt

Sorry to hear that!  Hope you are feeling better!

I still wear my mask everywhere.  It ain't over yet.  Even if the fat lady has sung !

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
15 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I still wear my mask everywhere

:text-yeahthat: Except outdoors when no-one is nearby--like when mowing!

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

:text-yeahthat: Except outdoors when no-one is nearby--like when mowing!

Ack Shirley, that's when I make SURE I'm wearing one!  I don't deal with allergens very well!

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
17 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I don't deal with allergens very well!

Allergies turn me on... :jaw:

NO... I mean... they turn on the mucus, tears, scratchy throat, burning eyes, and overall grumpiness... :ph34r:

Don

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wheelhorse#1

Interesting project.I know zero about all this.How much run time can you expect to get out of the batts ?

Evguy
2 hours ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Interesting project.I know zero about all this.How much run time can you expect to get out of the batts ?

The plan is using some used batteries, two different sizes with selection switch. I’m uncertain how much time due to many variables but I’m shooting for 1 hour run time, 3/4 hours on main and .6 on secondary.

My milage may vary.

Edited by Evguy
Correction
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Just for reference, I’ve driven my E 141 around pulling my 4 trailer train for about 20 minutes and used about 20% of the 3 marine deep cell batteries I have hooked up… certainly not a scientific study but I’m guessing I’d get about 45-60 minutes…

36 volt stock motor, running three 12 volt batteries in series. Stock was 6 batteries, 3+3 in series then connected parallel.

• Like 1

Evguy

I’m going to run 48 volts at 180 amp hours, de rated to about 150 due to age of batteries. Probably run a long time driving, but mowing is going to use a lot of power.

Edited by Evguy

Handy Don
58 minutes ago, Evguy said:

I’m going to run 48 volts at 180 amp hours, de rated to about 150 due to age of batteries. Probably run a long time driving, but mowing is going to use a lit of power.

I'm hoping you'll instrument this rig so you can share info about capacity, load, and performance under load.

Once good batteries are more available, there will be an explosion of electric lawn mower etc. -- to me that will be in about two years. Right now, the car manufacturers are hoovering up practically everything.

• Like 1

Evguy

I’m going to have a watt hour, volt meter amp combo meter. 
Electric mowers and tools are moving forward pretty well. I just couldn’t justify the cost so I’m building a low budget machine.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

I have Dewalt’s 20 v outdoor line - mower, weed whip, chain saw, blower and hedge trimmer. Very impressed. Same batteries as my hand tools just higher amp…

I mow three lawns weekly and use only 25-35% of batteries…

Don’t miss pulling or filling or noise…

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

Evguy
6 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I have Dewalt’s 20 v outdoor line - mower, weed whip, chain saw, blower and hedge trimmer. Very impressed. Same batteries as my hand tools just higher amp…

I mow three lawns weekly and use only 25-35% of batteries…

Don’t miss pulling or filling or noise…

:twocents-twocents:

I don’t miss starting my chainsaw and mixology of fuel and oil. 

• Like 2

Handy Don

Trying to time putting my gas stuff on CL or FB and going electric :)

Big debate in NY right now over school buses and it's gonna get hotter. All must be electric by 2030-something. Average life of a bus is 12-15 years. Buying gas/diesel now means having to depreciate to zero by the cutoff date--no residual value!--NOT making budget voters happy.  An electric is $400k-plus and the same capacity in diesel is $150k (the debate on lifecycle cost is noisy and largely uninformed since there is so little hard experiential data available).

• Like 1

Evguy

I have been chipping away at the project, 

put the dash and steering back together.

found clearance issues on batteries that are mostly resolved. 
I fit the batteries onto trays that were fabricated. Very tight fit due to batteries being a bit bulged.

I hope to do some electrical and do a drive test soon. The deck needs a little service before it gets put on.

charginghorse.blogspot.com

83ECF06C-6F3A-46FD-9A81-38F6C328958E.jpeg

09DA92DF-B7AC-41AC-8A2A-04F89D724E2B.jpeg

D536B229-C87F-4F71-9751-CEBBC5ADEE0E.jpeg

• Excellent 6

OoPEZoO

Are you going to isolate the ground, or bolt it to the chassis?

Evguy

Ground is common to 12 volt through dc/dc converter but nothing will be grounded to frame 

• Like 1

Evguy

I made progress on wiring both 12 volt and 48 volt equipment.

A few issues, one battery selection relay is stuck on, I will have to get another. I managed to drop a cable into batteries, popped a 100+ dollar fuse. I had a higher rated one to put in temporarily.

The relay board got a little busy, not much space but it works.
Ammeter/ Volt meter was mounted and wired.

Gave it a test and found my transmission seems to work as well as deck hydraulic lift.

I put some panels on, still need  seat switch installed. It was getting pretty warm today,  so I’m going back to it tomorrow.

http://Charginghorse.blogspot.com

478C7E46-5DCD-40F8-8AD4-7BA08F72586E.jpeg

A677103C-89F0-4C1F-8561-055EA686F99F.jpeg

B7F55087-2350-43AF-B3BD-94005BF0647C.jpeg

16EC0BC7-8233-4B5C-9D33-4E77AE4A91EC.jpeg

• Like 1

JoeM

need to get ya some of those snap on insulators for those battery straps. It was required on our battery equipment at work.

Although they we lead acid jugs there were different sizes. Every now and then had to use a longer one with a zip tie.

I might have missed it but what is the weight of the batteries and motor?

Edited by JoeM

Evguy
39 minutes ago, JoeM said:

need to get ya some of those snap on insulators for those battery straps. It was required on our battery equipment at work.

Although they we lead acid jugs there were different sizes. Every now and then had to use a longer one with a zip tie.

I might have missed it but what is the weight of the batteries and motor?

There will be a insulated cover over all of the batteries and another layer is planned. 
The motor was 32 pounds, batteries 115 lbs

Evguy

I braved the heat and did more work on the electric horse.

It runs! And mows!  A few setbacks, found deck roller in the yard after trials, scrounging up parts I got it back on.

I hooked up charger setup, I had it on a timer. I reset the timer, smoke came from charger, another thing to rebuy. Budget is feeling the strain.