MachXXII

1988 252-H Wheels

MachXXII

I’m trying to restore my grandfathers old 252-H to use around my property. The tires are shot and the rims aren’t too far behind. Anyone have any recommendations for rims and tires that would fit well on it? 

right now it has 22 x 7.50 - 12 on the back and 15 x 6 - 6 on the front.

Edited by MachXXII

Handy Don

I've seen some 200 series WH tractors on the Long Island CList, some with bad engines or rotten decks or other issues but that might still have good tires/wheels. Buying new could quickly add up to more than buying a "parts" tractor for the parts you need.

Also, WH-size wheels & tires were on other lawn/garden tractors--the only differences might be the setback of the rear wheels (setback is how far the back of the wheel's lug bolt holes are "set back" from the inner-most edge of the wheel rim) and the color (fixable!). Be sure you measure what you have before buying another rim.

gwest_ca

Have you removed the rear wheels from the axle yet? They can be impossible to get off.

Do not try to pull the wheel off the axle. You will pull the axle out of the transmission.

You need to come up with a way to push the axle out of the wheel. That may include cutting it off.

Used wheels may be hard to find because of this.

If someone had the foresight to apply never-seize you may get lucky.

• Like 2

clueless
12 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Have you removed the rear wheels from the axle yet? They can be impossible to get off.

Do not try to pull the wheel off the axle. You will pull the axle out of the transmission.

You need to come up with a way to push the axle out of the wheel. That may include cutting it off.

Used wheels may be hard to find because of this.

If someone had the foresight to apply never-seize you may get lucky.

:text-yeahthat:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Jon Paulsen
      By Jon Paulsen
      Inexpensive - Carlisle X Trac ATV Bias Tire - 16x6.50-8 Good quality (I expect) Should look nice with my large rear aggies  
      I don't know how much these have been discounted, but I expect anything you find like this from a good brand will be 2X to 3X the price. $45 each at Amazon. This tire is discontinued. 

Rough measurement seems they are about 16" tall and the lugs are about 1/2" deep. 

• PWL216
      By PWL216
      Are there aftermarket front rims available for C Series tractors? I have a 120 and a 160 that need front rims… thx.
    • robertsonchris06@gmail.co
      By robertsonchris06@gmail.co
      After using my 8-25 mower successfully for several years I noticed the belts were very worn. I replaced the belts and used the mower several mowings this past summer with no problems until as I was mowing the last time the mower would not move in any gear. After stopping and inspecting the traction belt it was almost completely destroyed. Prior to this I had noticed that the engage/disengage lever was getting hard to activate (very stiff). Has anyone had a similar thing happen?
      Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.
      Just want to keep my mower running.
      Chris
    • Wheel Horse Willy
      By Wheel Horse Willy
      Hey all!
      New to the page so first, thank you for the add! I’ve been a Wheel Horse fan for over 20 years since my old neighbor and his grandfather got me hooked! After many years of searching, I finally got a hold of a real one! I did have a Toro-Wheel Horse….212-? It was a good machine but gave it to a friend for a back up. I picked up a 1988 , 252-H and it’s clean! A little rust but the red shines up nice! Everything is original. Belts, tires, bulbs….fuel line and filter have been replaced. I started cutting my lawn the day I brought it home and since my yard is a little hilly, thought maybe the sensor under the seat was the culprit for the stall but it seems to depend how warm it is out? I managed to cut the entire back yard today and just as I was pulling it into the shed, it sputtered and died. It fires right up and runs great when cold! Even seems fine after a while running but after reading a few posts, I might try to replace the spark plug. The one thing I did not check. This was an issue with a 20+ year old Echo weed wacker I had so I will try that. If anyone has any other ideas/info, I would appreciate it! Thank you and have a great evening! 

• MachXXII
      By MachXXII
      Does anyone know what battery a 1988 252-H needs. I looked around and couldn’t really find an answer. Thanks