Sign in to follow this  
Sodaking27

New Horse with a leaky rearend

Sodaking27

Picked up a C141 at the show. Once I got it home I noitced oil dripping from the rear end. :thumbs2: Upon checking it out the oil is running out around the shaft that the brake attaches to. Since this is my first full restore I have a couple of questions. How hard is it to replace all the seals in the rear end? Are the seals still available or would it be best to look for a replacement rear end. Thanks for any help with this issue.

JimD

the transmission seals are replaceable without dismantling the trans. it can be done from the outside. remove the wheel and the hub, then pry the seal out with a small screwdriver, clean the axle with some light oil (wd40, pb blaster) and some emery cloth. slide the new seal on with some lubricant till it's at the seat, then lightly tap it around the outside with a screwdriver and a hammer. be careful not to damage the new seal. they should be available from toro, or you can take it to an auto parts store and see if they can match it up for you. hope this helps, and good luck. i tried to find some previous threads on this subject, but i wasn't able to find them. maybe someone with better search skills will help also. :thumbs2:

CasualObserver

Here's an old thread from the FAQ/Mech tips section. If you'd like to see more search for oil seals or axle seals from 30 days and older.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1733

Coadster32

It is commonly stated that normally when the seals leak, the bearings are shot. I found this not to be true 100% of the time. You could stick an indicator on the shafts and check for runout. You need to be w/i .005 of an inch. Mind you this doesn't mean your bearings aren't frozen up either. (like I had). Runout was good, but bearing was still bad. Bottom line, you stated "full restore". Crack you knuckles, and get to it. Break open that bad boy, and get-r-done. Don't be afraid to do it yourself. You can see what's inside first if you look for my post under the tranny section. The case gasket is readily avail. from your toro dealer for under $8. :thumbs2: Good luck.

Sodaking27

Thanks for the info. I stopped by the Toro dealer on the way home and picked up the new seals. I have them installed. No more leaks :thumbs2: Now it's on to the rest of the tear down. :thumbs:

Coadster32

No more leaks

For now. I do wish you luck.

HorseFixer

Bottom line, you stated "full restore". Crack you knuckles, and get to it. Break open that bad boy, and get-r-done. Don't be afraid to do it yourself. You can see what's inside first if you look for my post under the tranny section. The case gasket is readily avail. from your toro dealer for under $8. :thumbs2: Good luck.

:ychain: I like yer style! :thumbs:

Coadster32
I like yer style!
:thumbs2: