Cee245

What should I expect at 2022 Big Show??

Cee245

I've been a long time member and supporter and yet I've haven't made it to a Big Show😔... yet.   I'm planning on a trip from Erie area this year.  I have lodging booked/figured out already.

I've seen enough pics and read a bunch of posts on what goes on there, but was wondering about some details. 

I gather that I have to buy a $10 membership to Wheel Horse Collectors to sell some of my parts etc, but is there an admission charge/parking?

Is there concession stand or something? Porta potty? 

I would be pulling a 5x10 open utility trailer and my vehicle. Maybe my 417 and various parts. Do people park and set up? Is it sorta like a flea market?

I'm planning on going this year and really looking forward to it! It depends on my work schedule, but it should be ok.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

roadapples

Bathrooms and showers on grounds. Local church serves food including homemade pies. Admission and parking are free. Basically flea market for wheel horse tractors and parts only. You'll have a great time. Ask who belongs to Red Square....

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc

I haven't been since 2008, but if anything it's probably gotten better. Family friendly, very relaxed fun.

Bring a pop up shade. Some bring 10x10 style canopies to set up inside the track. It gets pretty hot!

Some folks camp on the grounds. Some stay in hotels overnight nearby. Tends to be more than a half hour drive daily for that. 

More red tractors than anywhere else you'll find! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

JoeM

Bring extra cash, lots of good deals on just about everything WH. I always make a list of needs and say I am holding to it.......has not worked out to good. 

Watch or participate in the Big Show Buy Sell Trade thread if you are looking to sell or want something specific. 

Take lots of Pics, it goes fast. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

AMC RULES

Will be interesting to see the turn out this year.   :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, Cee245 said:

I've been a long time member and supporter and yet I've haven't made it to a Big Show😔... yet.   I'm planning on a trip from Erie area this year.  I have lodging booked/figured out already.It is about time you joined in the fun.            :angry-tappingfoot:   What took you so long?

I've seen enough pics and read a bunch of posts on what goes on there, but was wondering about some details. If you can't find it there you probably won't find it anywhere.

I gather that I have to buy a $10 membership to Wheel Horse Collectors to sell some of my parts etc, but is there an admission charge/parking?  Admission and parking are free, most of us will pay our membership dues at the show to show our appreciation for the WHCC hosting this great gathering.

Is there concession stand or something? Porta potty? A church group runs the concession stand and they put out some great food. You will be pleased to know that there are real flush toilets and the rest rooms are kept nice.

I would be pulling a 5x10 open utility trailer and my vehicle. Maybe my 417 and various parts. Do people park and set up? Is it sorta like a flea market?   Just find your spot in the vendor area and have at it, gates open Thursdays morning for set-up and early bargain hunting.

I'm planning on going this year and really looking forward to it! It depends on my work schedule, but it should be ok.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

The show is advertised as Friday thru Sunday, but most vendors and flea marketers set up and do their swapping on Thursday.     

Friday is parade day and Red Square member picture.

Most clear out  Saturday afternoon after the Raffle.

Looking forward to meet you.    Look for a trailer full of 5 gallon buckets.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

Generally just be prepared to be in a Wheel Horse wonderland! I call it my annual pilgrimage! I attended the second or third show and have only missed three since then. Dang kids graduating high school, I asked if they could just video it and that didn’t go over well 😂 Then I had to go to a friends wedding one of those years. I can’t wait to see everyone in June 👍🏻

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

squonk

You won't be able to sell out of your trailer in the "infield" ( horse shoe shaped)  area. You will have to find a spot out in the perimeter.

544986594_5aa11f5a032f8_Mike.scorner.jpg.b73fa7a43f7746de93e349ed1f7cfd99(1).jpg.b4ef59ab305186a847496b3ba97d4e3f.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Cee245

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

I did reply to the buy sell page, we'll see how that goes. It's probably going to be like going grocery shopping when starving for me. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Looking forward to seeing my tractor friends again soon!  @Cee245 it seems like your questions have been answered, so cee you there!

Oh- Friday night is the ice cream social before parade night.  Don’t spin out early in favor of dinner, it’s a blast!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cee245
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:
  14 hours ago, Cee245 said:

I've been a long time member and supporter and yet I've haven't made it to a Big Show😔... yet.   I'm planning on a trip from Erie area this year.  I have lodging booked/figured out already.It is about time you joined in the fun.            :angry-tappingfoot:   What took you so long?

Lol! I really don't have a good reason why...

My brother lives in Carlisle(20miles from the show)

We have a place in Renovo, Pa (Clinton county) which is about 2.5 hrs away. So either way I'll plan the trip with my wife and kids. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Cee245

@wallfish mine is pretty cool. I showed her a nice 416h with 42" RD. 1550 hrs or so.  and I thought it was way too high for my tastes, but she thought it was a good deal at about 2500. 

So, to me my budget is 2500 for whatever i want!

She realizes this is my hobby that i love and doesn't get upset that i have 4 tractors when i could easily just have 1 with my 416. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Pullstart
13 minutes ago, Cee245 said:

wife and kids. 

there’s something for everyone!

F8B2DE39-BB34-4EF3-B285-A2D0B51CE922.jpeg

1B485989-AE06-42A1-B7C6-739D2BEBEF6A.jpeg

34D2BB21-D9A4-45F0-BCEC-F6BA955E4288.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
56 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Mine will only go

If there is a 5 star hotel and an  indoor mall on the fair grounds.

• Haha 9

squonk
58 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Mine will only go just to make sure I don't have a good time! LoL

Well the van would get cleaned better! :teasing-poke:

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie
14 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I haven't been since 2008

I’m going to drag you up this year…

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Horse Newbie

I hope to camp on the fairgrounds…

Will have a truck and 10x6 utility trailer.

How does parking work with a trailer ?

Can you sleep in the bed of a truck in the camping area ?

Do most people stay on the grounds , without having to go to a store ?

If I sleep in the truck bed, can I drive the truck out to a store ?

Is ice available on site ?

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I hope to camp on the fairgrounds…

Will have a truck and 10x6 utility trailer.

How does parking work with a trailer ?

Can you sleep in the bed of a truck in the camping area ?

Do most people stay on the grounds , without having to go to a store ?

If I sleep in the truck bed, can I drive the truck out to a store ?

Is ice available on site ?

The organizers want trailers parked at the far end of the parking lot. Camping trailers go in the camping area. Typically, you'd not park a truck in the camping area unless it has a camper back (and you pay the fee for camping--it was $20 a night last year). Driving in and out of the camping area is discouraged and is prohibited during quiet times (10pm - 7am?)

Don't know about sleeping in a truck bed. Anyone else?

I believe most attendees stay at hotels, B&Bs, etc. in Chambersburg, Gettysburg or other near-ish towns. A goodly number camp on the grounds and come fully provisioned. Many meet offsite for breakfasts or dinners and lunch onsite. For regular car/truck parking you are free to come and go as you wish.

Ice--I don't know.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The organizers want trailers parked at the far end of the parking lot. Camping trailers go in the camping area. Typically, you'd not park a truck in the camping area unless it has a camper back (and you pay the fee for camping--it was $20 a night last year). Driving in and out of the camping area is discouraged and is prohibited during quiet times (10pm - 7am?)

Don't know about sleeping in a truck bed. Anyone else?

I believe most attendees stay at hotels, B&Bs, etc. in Chambersburg, Gettysburg or other near-ish towns. A goodly number camp on the grounds and come fully provisioned. Many meet offsite for breakfasts or dinners and lunch onsite. For regular car/truck parking you are free to come and go as you wish.

Ice--I don't know.

Thank you @Handy Don !

squonk

All the ice you want is available at the concession stand. But they close early on Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
On 3/12/2022 at 6:08 AM, AMC RULES said:

Will be interesting to see the turn out this year.   :confusion-shrug:

Having had the 2020 show cancelled due to Covid, 2021 was amazingly attended. Had our friends from Canada been able to attend, I think the attendance would have been the highest ever. Unfortunately this year though, I can't image that the attendance will be as good considering fuel prices.

• Sad 3