JPWH

3 point hitch for Hank

19richie66

I knew that spare transmission would be good for something. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JPWH

@Skipper I have not considered support to the frame as well. I figured I am adding the axle and top of transmission supports as well as using the factory clevis connection point. I am only going to be using garden implements with it.

@19richie66 The spare transmission has made this project much easier.

• Like 3

stevebo

I have been here before. I would suggest a linear actuator rather than connect to rock shaft unless you don’t care to use any other attachments with that machine. 
What you are doing is great work👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

@stevebo Thanks for the suggestion and the compliment. All my attachments will be used on this hitch.  I'll have the lift and a fixed receiver to pull my trailers. I thought about moving the hydraulic cylinder like @953 nut did on his project, but this seemed to be the easiest and less expensive way for me.

Jay

• Like 2

953 nut

The connection from the rock shaft to the three point will need to be very stout. Perhaps some one inch schedule eighty mechanical tubing or some square tubing with a three sixteenth wall. Anything lighter probably will bend over time. Probably want to beef up the extension on the rock shaft too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
14 hours ago, stevebo said:

I would suggest a linear actuator

For simplicity, I completely agree. Otherwise the only way to not take away functionality from other implements would be a dual hydraulic spool and second cylinder. Unless you have those items, it can be expensive. An electric actuator can get expensive, but not as much as secondary hydraulics and all those hoses and fittings.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Yeah… but I’ve seen your set up with the dual hydraulic spool… awesome !

• Like 1

JPWH
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The connection from the rock shaft to the three point will need to be very stout. Perhaps some one inch schedule eighty mechanical tubing or some square tubing with a three sixteenth wall. Anything lighter probably will bend over time. Probably want to beef up the extension on the rock shaft too.

I have 3/4 x3/4 or 1x1 solid square stock, just have to see which one I'll need. Also will reinforce the rock shaft after I test the lift with the hydraulic cylinder.

3 hours ago, kpinnc said:

For simplicity, I completely agree. Otherwise the only way to not take away functionality from other implements would be a dual hydraulic spool and second cylinder. Unless you have those items, it can be expensive. An electric actuator can get expensive, but not as much as secondary hydraulics and all those hoses and fittings.

Functionality for other implements will not be needed. You are correct about hydraulics being expensive. I built a hydraulic system on my custom 12hp round hood but it was not 3 point.

• Like 2

Pullstart

@Skipper keep in mind too that the frames on 953’s, 1054’s and GT14’s have a 3/8” plate bolting to the transmission and a thicker frame as well.  The frame is also welded more center of the transmission mount plate than to top, because of the taller wheels.  I’m not saying there won’t be stress on the frame, just not as much as what would stress a smaller tractor’s frame.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

kpinnc
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

Functionality for other implements will not be needed. You are correct about hydraulics being expensive. I built a hydraulic system

I used a dual-spool valve on my Bronco and cylinder from a D-series. I used the 3-point arms from it as well. I found a local seller who was parting one out for cheap. Otherwise I probably would have gone with a linear actuator. 

I'm currently toying with a 3-point on a manual tractor. It may get the linear actuator treatment as well.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

You do nice work 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

You do nice work 👍

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

What would you do?

While I was working on the pins and bushings and sort of making up a completion list I realized I had not built in a float mechanism. I think I have an idea but I want to hear your ideas.

Jay

• Like 1

Pullstart

When plowing, it seems the plow itself will set the depth.  However, when I worked on the 3 point for my friend’s kids, it never had a foot no worked just fine.  Great work Jay!

• Like 3

Tractorhead

Great Work 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

This one made me curious so I went to the 'web to do some research!

Seems that down pressure is very rare in 3-points and that most use a linkage between the (upper) lift arm and the (lower) drag arm that allows the drag arm to move independently by anywhere from a couple inches (using a slotted link bar or nested pipes/tubes) to a lot (using chains). The discussion was that most rear implements find their own level (plows, harrows, cultivators, moldboards, etc.) and that don't have an operator-controlled "bottom" (trailers being the most commonly cited example). Seems there is also variation on whether the drag arms are interconnected, and by what means, to keep an implement "level" within a set range.

Some JDs (and others?) have a rate control that, as near as I can tell, throttles the speed of the lift/drop separately from tryin to feather the control lever.

So bottom line to you, @JPWH, seems that you would change the lift-to-drag arm linkage mechanism to suit how you want the attached implement to behave.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JPWH

Thanks for that suggestion about the pipes @Handy Don. That is better than my idea and I think I have a plan to make it work.

Jay

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 3/29/2022 at 6:37 PM, JPWH said:

Thanks for that suggestion about the pipes @Handy Don. That is better than my idea and I think I have a plan to make it work.

Jay

There isn't a "you're most heartily welcome" emoticon. Words will have to do.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

JPWH

KIMG0119.JPG.4ee3c11b8c535b565158080883de7f44.JPGI made some bushings and pins.

KIMG0114.JPG.52ef895dc013d08fe2ec71afd03579d4.JPG

Jigged these up to keep them aligned and tacked them in place.

KIMG0116.JPG.4451612bd41801d9f9294f208b1d5745.JPG

Aligned the bushings and pins and tacked the bushings in place.

KIMG0120.JPG.e50feba216127b8ee2d99bd94181f006.JPG

KIMG0118.JPG.99ef206ff0ab44da0053ae8e049c702c.JPG

Main hitch frame.

KIMG0119.JPG.4ee3c11b8c535b565158080883de7f44.JPG

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 2

JPWH

Bottom picture in post #47 shows the frame that bolts to the transmission. Was showing two pictures before editing.

Jay

• Like 1

19richie66

Nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
On 3/23/2022 at 1:34 PM, Horse Newbie said:

Yeah… but I’ve seen your set up with the dual hydraulic spool… awesome !

Thanks Tim. I got lucky and it all worked! :rolleyes:

• Like 2