jeepdan

jeepdan's 1989 312-8 Restoration & Modifications

jeepdan

Engine block back from my favorite engine builder/ machine shop.  He bored the cylinder .020" over and did a valve job.

So, I got the block scrubbed up with soapy hot water, then started the reassembly with OEM Kohler parts.

New std. connecting rod, .020"+ piston/rings, governor gear, crank bearings. And a new Kohler OEM ignition coil since the mice ruined the old one.

I'm tossing the balance gears in trash.

DSCN5516.JPG

Edited by jeepdan
  • Excellent 7

jeepdan

Engine back in place. Plus, a preview pic of the front weight bracket.

DSCN5523.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

jeepdan

Along with an NOS exhaust elbow, I was able to get this complete NOS muffler assembly off of ebay about four years ago.:dance:

DSCN5518.JPG

Edited by jeepdan
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

jeepdan

Been spending a lot of time in the garage, and it's coming along well.

Thank again Brian Badman, and a few others for supplying me with the much, needed parts. 

DSCN5550.JPG

DSCN5542.JPG

• Excellent 6

Moparfanforever

Your tractor looks killer !! Excellent job !!

👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 1

Heatingman
2 hours ago, Moparfanforever said:

Your tractor looks killer !! Excellent job !!

👍👍👍👍👍

Like a damn showroom.

When I saw the underside of the mower deck, I thought he must have spend alot of time with body filler and sanding, then I realized it was all new parts…lol.

Whole thing turned out really well.

• Like 3

Wvtroutbum81
On 8/1/2022 at 1:09 PM, jeepdan said:

DSCN5547.JPG

DSCN5546.JPG

Amazing work!

• Like 2

davem1111

So much good stuff in this thread!   Among other things, I am loving that front bumper.  Was that something you fabricated yourself?  I may need to make one of those - very tired of dinging the front of the hood on stuff.  I'm also trying to get my daughter's boyfriend to make me some headlight bezels with his 3-D printer, since I've cracked several of those and they go for at least $20 each, for a piece of plastic. Yikes!

jeepdan
On 11/8/2022 at 8:44 PM, davem1111 said:

So much good stuff in this thread!   Among other things, I am loving that front bumper.  Was that something you fabricated yourself?  I may need to make one of those - very tired of dinging the front of the hood on stuff.  I'm also trying to get my daughter's boyfriend to make me some headlight bezels with his 3-D printer, since I've cracked several of those and they go for at least $20 each, for a piece of plastic. Yikes!

Thanks, 

Yes, I fabricated the bumper/weight bracket myself. I needed a front weight to help with the tiller on the back. Plus, I wanted some protection for the NOS hood.

My 312-8 was only a year old, when my wife wrecked it into the corner of a concrete wall while turning the tractor around in the garage. Busted one of the headlight bezels out along with the headlight bulb. They say the first scratch is the hardest to accept on a new vehicle. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, jeepdan said:

They say the first scratch is the hardest to accept on a new vehicle

Agreed.  

I once knew a brick mason that smashed the top of his own brand new 1987 F250 bed specifically so he could put the first dent in it. Not his  helpers.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

davem1111
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed.  

I once knew a brick mason that smashed the top of his own brand new 1987 F250 bed specifically so he could put the first dent in it. Not his  helpers.  

To some, that's known as "Christening" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bill D

Nice work!! I'd like to know more about those brakes.  Did I miss the thread about the brake upgrade?

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Bill D said:

Nice work!! I'd like to know more about those brakes.  Did I the thread about the brake upgrade?

Agreed. 

@Oldskool and I have talked about a set he did on his "Hiram" tractor as well.  

It would be great if an upgrade was readily available for the masses.   

• Like 2

peter lena

@jeepdan  like the steering rod ends  on the lever rods , been doing for years with similar , heim joints , eliminates sloppy play , detailing is terrific ,  thank you for the photo tour , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@jeepdan  have them on clutch linkage , pto lever rod , plow lever rod , totally eliminates sloppy play , steering rods , have not had a failure yet . usually change out a chronic problem area , you know what  doesn't  work , why not eliminate it ?  pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1