ebinmaine

Tractor lift options for BBT?

ebinmaine

My Lead Dismantler, Head of Rust Removal, The Paint Department, Tractor Assembly Technician, Keeper of RIDICULOUS Energy, occasionally known as Trina,

Has been mulling over purchasing and modifying a lift to make it easier for us to work on tractors of course, likely also other machinery.

I've looked at a few threads from folks here and I like the ideas.

Her current focus seems to be the HF 1000 lb motorcycle lift.

I do see that some folks are using lift tables.

What are you using? How high does it go? What might you do different?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

formariz

The one she is looking at is the most affordable and available that I found. Anything else within that very type is not even close in price being substantially more. A modification such as extending table in width is necessary to make it safe for a tractor . Tying down tractor prior to lifting a must if you want peace of mind. Trust me on that one. Also need to be careful lowering it. Very sensitive hydraulics. Could be too fast. 

One thing I been thinking about doing. Unit when not in use is obtrusive and on way of walking all the time. Build up floor around it so when not in use it is part of floor. The only draw back to that will be that it cannot be placed in a different location. Just need to have a dedicated spot for it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, formariz said:

The one she is looking at is the most affordable and available that I found. Anything else within that very type is not even close in price being substantially more. A modification such as extending table in width is necessary to make it safe for a tractor . Tying down tractor prior to lifting a must if you want peace of mind. Trust me on that one. Also need to be careful lowering it. Very sensitive hydraulics. Could be too fast. 

One thing I been thinking about doing. Unit when not in use is obtrusive and on way of walking all the time. Build up floor around it so when not in use it is part of floor. The only draw back to that will be that it cannot be placed in a different location. Just need to have a dedicated spot for it. 

She's been looking at two. One of them is sort of like a forklift and the other one is a raising table.

I like the idea of having a dedicated spot for it quite a lot but we have three different spaces in which we regularly work on tractors so we would need the freedom of movement. 

• Like 1

formariz
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

She's been looking at two. One of them is sort of like a forklift and the other one is a raising table.

I like the idea of having a dedicated spot for it quite a lot but we have three different spaces in which we regularly work on tractors so we would need the freedom of movement. 

Then the forklift type one or a hydraulic table/dolly like used in warehouses would be it. Small and mobile . Just lifting 20 inches is already a tremendous improvement for ones back and comfort while working on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I had one of those Horror Fright Motorcycle tables. Put an oak door on it to make it wide enough for a tractor. It barely picked up my 1467 once. That was it. Nothing helped getting the jack to work right. Plus pumping it with the pedal seem tedious. ended up selling it. I'd cut loose with the cash and get an ATV table lift.  OR a HF   lift table will lift will most Wh's. Plus you can roll it out of the way. Not sure of a C160 though.

1136317542_857bs001.JPG.343b07d260f71cba6c20a509e2504faf.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG.c7c3ecc156850cdd54729645dbf28281.JPG

1616703819_skredo002.JPG.a04d3ed59aab5082134a3daa6b443faa.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

What I use is stuff I already have.  I have my little flatbed trailer and some very sturdy ramps for it.  I can drive or push a horse up the ramps and onto the trailer.  Probably about 16".  I then take blocks and place the ramps from the ground end on them.  Now I can push the horse back onto the ramps and work on the horse.  My ramps hook onto the back of the trailer, so there is no movement there.  I suppose I could do the same thing and then put both ends of the ramps on blocks and push the horse on from there.  No hydraulics, no lifting, set up where you want, leave until you need the ramps.  :occasion-xmas:  If there is a draw back, the horse is sitting on it's tires, but you could jack up one end enough to work on wheels, hubs, seals or what ever.

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

Oh Eric, those lifts are a life saver. I have used a car scissorlift, or a forklift. Getting those tractors up in the air, it's just so much nicer on the back, knees, etc

You could make yourself a wooden table, whit ramps and a cheap HF 2500lbs winch to pull the tractor up the table. would be a cheap option

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
53 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

What I use is stuff I already have.  I have my little flatbed trailer and some very sturdy ramps for it.  I can drive or push a horse up the ramps and onto the trailer.  Probably about 16".  I then take blocks and place the ramps from the ground end on them.  Now I can push the horse back onto the ramps and work on the horse.  My ramps hook onto the back of the trailer, so there is no movement there.  I suppose I could do the same thing and then put both ends of the ramps on blocks and push the horse on from there.  No hydraulics, no lifting, set up where you want, leave until you need the ramps.  :occasion-xmas:  If there is a draw back, the horse is sitting on it's tires, but you could jack up one end enough to work on wheels, hubs, seals or what ever.

I’m not visualizing your set up but it sounds good… do you have a pic or two so I can understand the set up?

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have a lift table like Squonk but you have to take the belt guard off to use it.  Tachmatics cause issues also.  Build a table and pick her up slide table under it......

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0117 (2).JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

squonk

My lift table is used for more than just the tractors. Unloading the truck, moving Ac units and is the base for my engine run stand.

er1.jpg.7d88ac83c8f4560544b38f8b2fa52dcc.jpg

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

Get a used hospital bed like @Stormin has , I am sure he will provide photos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kpinnc

Whatever you use, either anchor it to the floor or make the base as wide as possible. The center of gravity moves quite a bit when you remove stuff. One loaded wheel can flip the tractor over if the base isn't sturdy.

Or make one like mine... :P

IMG_20211010_154106411.jpg

IMG_20211010_131744269.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I have a lift table like Squonk but you have to take the belt guard off to use it.  Tachmatics cause issues also.  Build a table and pick her up slide table under it......

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0117 (2).JPG

First pic… I thought that Horse was levitating…:lol:

• Haha 4

Horse Newbie
15 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Show - off ! :lol:

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie
16 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Whatever you use, either anchor it to the floor or make the base as wide as possible. The center of gravity moves quite a bit when you remove stuff. One loaded wheel can flip the tractor over if the base isn't sturdy.

IMG_20211010_154106411.jpg

IMG_20211010_131744269.jpg

Now I know where to borrow one for my next refresh !  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kpinnc
6 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Show - off ! :lol:

I know, I know... But Eb did ask! :D

I'd love to have a hoist like pfrederi! 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

know, I know... But Eb did ask! :D

That is true… the walls have eyes… and ears…

Pullstart

Why not have HER lift the tractor?  She’s Black Belt Trina for cryin’ out loud!

• Haha 6
  • Heart 1

Stormin
11 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Get a used hospital bed like @Stormin has , I am sure he will provide photos.

P1020623.JPG.65f58df9b4933b456964b0c9d0227b45.JPG

1484285773_2002-01-1904_37_12.jpg.a11e0f74900dec34e1c7f6fa88a5a271.jpg

Hospital bed tractor lift. Handiest thing I've got for free. A tractor will just fit on nicely. A hand winch is fitted to one end to pull tractors up. A removable handle at the other to move it around. It also comes in handy as a mobile work bench. 

2002-01-19 04.37.53.jpg

P.S. Some support at the ramp end is an idea. Tends to lift the winch end at first. I find height wise it's ok when down. It can be raised by the foot pump. OH! And remember to put the brakes on.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

First pic… I thought that Horse was levitating…:lol:

It is. 

@pfrederi Paul's a wizard...

Lots of excellent ideas here as always folks. 

Thank you for posting. 

We both like the tables quite a lot. 

Space, or lack of,  could be a deciding factor there. 

The ceiling mounted chain falls really got her attention. 

That may just work out well because I have a chain falls and 10 foot channel I've been considering moving to the basement specifically to lift/adjust/install the engine on Colossus.  

7 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Why not have HER lift the tractor?  She’s Black Belt Trina for cryin’ out loud!

I'll tell her this is the final solution and keep you posted for feedback.  

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

squonk

Electric lift hospital beds would be cooler! :) Threw out so many beds at work. Hospital had a strict policy. All old beds had to be scrapped. :(

• Sad 3

Stormin
6 hours ago, squonk said:

Electric lift hospital beds would be cooler! :) 

Beggars can't be choosers. It was at an engineering shop not far from me and destined for the skip.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

As a partial solution and part of my thought process I hung my chain falls in the basement workshop temporarily.

I wanted to have both of us be able to get an idea of where it would sit.

IMG_20220213_170858160_HDR.jpg.55df2917a91eeb2eab482f8331f50330.jpg

The hoist itself would be out of the way for the most part because it'll live right where it is sitting now, up against the pegboard wall.

For the chain falls bracket fastening, I think I've come up with a good solution.
A 2x6 board above the 10' long rail will be 12' long so I can grab an extra joist.
Three 4" long (#10 deck screws or 1/4" lags) in every joist.
Then, to hang the rail I'll use five total brackets with bolts that go through the 2x6. 

The deck screws should have a real-world pull out of somewhere above 600 lb each.

That should give me a pretty fair safety margin for lifting several hundred pounds.

Thoughts comments suggestions questions as always are welcome....

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1